Sopater

National Militia Standards

I have found several different militia qualification standards that vary in complexity and minimum skill levels.

The easiest and least complex seems to be the Light Foot Militia Standards.

Then, there's the National Milita Standards (NMS) from A Well Regulated Militia (awrm.org).

Both of the above has a similar grade modification system, but to qualifiy to the AWRM standards requires over 80 rounds of rifle ammo and uses IDPA or IPSC targets. The Light Foot standards only require 15 rounds into 8.5x11" sheets of paper. Much cheaper and simpler to qualify.

Any thoughts on these two standards? Any others that are more widely accepted?

I've read both standards, and I'm not a fan of either, honestly. I'm not sure what NMS was going for, but at least with the lightfoot standard, its basic marksmanship. I just don't think 15 rounds is worth it for even a basic qualification. If you are going to qual on a rifle, assuming its a magazine fed rifle, you want at least one magazine change and I'll hazard to say at least 30 rounds to show you can hit from various stances. But that's just my two cents.

• Like 1

The Light Foot standard is 15 rounds with two mag changes. Three mags w/ 5 rounds each. You do 5 standing, change mags, 5 kneeling, change mags, 5 prone. All shots are taken at 50 yards and you have to get a minimum of 66% (10 rounds) on an 8.5"x11" piece of paper within 45 seconds.

I understand, and I disagree with three 5 round magazines. At the minimum, you need to do 10. I've ran army ranges, and understand the point of various ranges and positions. Doing 30-40 rounds, with mag changes and position changes against a human shaped silhouette is more apt to condition the militia man to hit their target when it comes time to killing another human being.

• Like 2

Can you recommend a rifle qualification that you think is satisfactory? There's the AQT that they shoot at Appleseed events...

I'd recommend the Army's paper target system, 40 rounds, in two magazines. Fire from prone unsupported, prone supported, foxhole, and kneeling. Ten rounds each, into the Army's various sized and shaped silhouttes. Otherwise, I don't think there's an effective equivalent out there. Doing match shooting, with CMP, NRA, or other groups will help. But for a national militia qualification, I don't think one has been appropriately developed.

• Like 3

One thing i think that should be thought out is that everybody is the militia, but every body is not the same as having good paying jobs to have enough money to buy their rounds. With the price of everything going up and others out of jobs or

low paying jobs, with bills mounting up and all the add-ons that people need (or think they need) for their stuff (insert any things there) a milita standard should require a certain number of everything. It will just be a while until a person who is a

member to be able to get what's required.

Guess what i'm trying to say it will take some time for some to get up to speed and then others will already be up to speed as far as having all their shit in one paper bag.

• Like 3

Good point, marine77. The rifle was the tool of livelihood up to 100 years ago. That tool today is the microwave.

On a related side note...I have often said that the welfare system should not be handing out money for food, but instead be handing out an M1 Garand or .30 carbine with ammo plus a free hunting/fishing license with references to individuals willing to educate people on hunting and firearms safety.

Many different groups have different gear requirements. A firearm and ammo would be the cheap part. Getting sets of ACU, color coordinated gear, packs, armor, webbing and belts, bug out bags, combat pack, accessories for the firearms, etc., are all expenses that boggle one's mind. I think the expense part is some of the fear of joining a militia, as without "the look", one feels like they showed up in their underwear for morning formation.

Regarding qualifications...I think the Army system works fine once the basic handling, functions checks, SPORTS, etc., has been taught and observed in practice. Clearing rooms and other such training can be added later once one feels at ease with the rifle.

• Like 2

IF you do not have, or can not afford 50 rds to qualify with your chosen rifle then you need to consider doing something else like being a unit mechanik or ??? Besides what good are you without a rifle AND ammo?

The rifle AND being able to use it effectively is the basik item for a militia man! All of the fancy do dads and uniforms are of secondary - or even triciary - value!

Sarge

• Like 4

Agree with much that you said hatchet, the army qualification would be the best i think myself. Although it would benefit (imho) to be able to reach out and touch someone at 500 yards with an ar-15. :)

Same with you sarge, have a person busy with something else until he gets squared away.

• Like 1

The "standard" is really only meant to be the "test" that a militia man must strive to measure up to. Training absolutlely MUST be performed both before and after qualifiying to the standard. That's really where the bulk of practice ammo should be spent, is in training. Anyone who only trains to the test or the standard is certainly not really training at all. However, I believe that the Light Foot standard is sufficient to indicate that a common, every-day citizen, who doesn't use his rifle daily to put food on the table or to keep the bad-guys at bay is capable of handling his weapon to the minimum standards necessary to show that he is militia material. I think that the army standard (AQT) is certainly a much better indicator, but I would not say that it should be the minimum standard to use.

Another good thing about the LF standard is that with it's low round count, it's very simple to continually monitor your abilities over the months and years. You may find that you get rusty if you don't practice and train on a regular basis and find that you're not able to hit the score that you had once done previously. Additionally, you may find that with training and practice you are improving your skills and are up to bigger challenges such as the AQT.