After having a conversation with Erik, one of the other Admins here, I figured to open the discussion up to the site. How do you conduct training? Not just tactically, but the various "soldier" tasks and Mission Essential Tasks that go along with the tactics of door kicking and heart breaking.

I train with friends, we're not organized as a militia, we're a loose MAG(Mutual Assistance Group) at this point. We shoot every so often, covering the importance of weapon safety and ability. But I setup and conduct our informal (hip pocket, for you army types) training in the additional skills.

A great example is teaching land nav without map and compass. Its not precise, and these guys being life long locals, it doesn't need to be. But we do capture the flag. We split up into two groups, both separated far enough they can't see or hear each other. They place their flags down in their home court. Then they have to navigate to the other team's flag, and run it back. If the other team touches them, they've been killed and the flag gets returned to the starting point. Its a blast, and it helps with identifying the cardinal directions and pace counts, since I have them give each other "recon reports" of where the flag is.

What sort of training do you do? How do you do it on the cheap, since few of us are loaded with money?

• Like 1

Our training consists of a year long endeavor. You get a patched once you complete the required training, a Ruck March and a PT test to standard. The training starts with Rifle 1, then Team Tactics, and then on to each facet of of Infantry tasks. It's not made easy. I want the participants to have a gut check. If they have passed everything they can participate in the "Gray Man", training events. People that show promise as team leaders are coached and developed into competent team leaders and assigned a team. Each task is focused on individually so every detail can be hashed out. People that slack on gear or PT are not invited to certain classes. You can't do a Coms class without a radio, or a Long range class with a NCstar scope. I want the quality of individuals we train to be something to hopefully set a standard on. I see some groups that have the experienced, in shape guys do all the work and let inexperienced, or out of shape guys fall off to the side. Being former 11B I say bullshit. Everybody meets the standard. Chances are you will be outgunned, and out equipped. It would behoove everyone to be at the top of their game.

• Like 1

Our Rule #2: Tasks must be simple, easy to train/retain, and above all effective. All of our training is based on an instruction > demonstration > practice > evaluation model. One thing we do is make damn sure our instructors are capable of teaching before letting them get up and pitch. We have a course which teaches how to develop training outlines along with basic instructional methods and conducting AARs.

We run a 7 month cycle with 3 main focus areas: Operational tasks (individual & collective tactical tasks including comms), Logistics tasks (which include caching, prepping, etc.) and Medical tasks. Every 7th month we conduct our version of TC3 for sustainment training regardless. The other months the local groups have the flexibility to pick from a pool of pre-made class outlines we've developed as long as they hit each of the 3 main focus areas twice that cycle. Live fire and leader training are considered "out of cycle" monthly. Most of our classes are progressive (i.e. you have to attend Carbine I prior to Carbine II, II to III, etc). This method has served us well so far as we've been able to catch folks up to speed fairly quickly. Now for the folks Six cited above that are out of shape or broke they serve their local area in a support role and train for such. The rest of the swinging Richards have a set standard to meet.

Money wise we pool a lot of our resources and it's not uncommon for folks to load up in a van and come to training splitting the cost of gas. Those that have the $ to help others out with gear and ammo frequently do, but nothing is demanded or mandatory. Over time we've managed to compile some pretty good training lockers that we can ship around for resource intensive training (i.e. our version of TC3). Those are some of the benefits of building "Tribes".

• Like 2

Very good information, and would love to learn more. I have a small MAG, but none with any military or LE background. I'm an NRA firearms instructor, focusing mostly on safety and marksmanship. I don't do defensive arms training given the lack of background in the subject. I've been a hunter and woodsman all my life, not a warrior. Hopefully, we are able to find a qualified person to join our group. Any detail to what you are doing would be appreciated.

Well, from looking at your location maps I see one thing in common - guess I'll have to look at mine and see what it shows - None show where you are at, either city or state. W/O that info I have no idea if I can be of any help to you or you to me!

Since I don't know what mine shows - I'm in Colorado.

Sarge