Sign in to follow this  
News Feeds

A Prepper’s Cookbook + Giveaway

A-Preppers-Cookbook-225x300.jpg?6ea51b

When it comes to prepper cookbooks, I have been disappointed more often than not. You might be wondering why so let me just say this: many are simply compilations of recipes that are on the internet in the public domain. Not only that, I know some cookbook authors that are prepper frauds. They have not prepped a day in their life. I know because they have told me. Let us leave that unpleasant tangent for another day.

Today I want to introduce you to a real prepper and real cookbook author, Deborah D. Moore. Her book, A Prepper’s Cookbook: Twenty Years of Cooking in the Woods is fantastic. Deborah, as you will learn below, began living the preparedness lifestyle long before it became fashionable. She has lived off grid, in the woods, relying on a wood cook stove for both heat and meal preparation.

A-Preppers-Cookbook.jpg?6ea51b

Early on in the book is a chapter on “Learning to Cook On a Woodstove”. For me it was a vicarious pleasure to read that section since both acquiring and learning to use such a stove is high up on my bucket list. Deborah saved up for one of those gorgeous stoves most of us only dream about and offers all types of tips for using one.

That is just one example of how A Prepper’s Cookbook is more than a collection of recipes. Interspersed between chapters with recipes are snippets about life in the woods. The garden, the animals, and even a quiet walk in the woods are shared in such a way that you really want to get to know both the person and the lifestyle.

I could go on but will stop now and simply say that you are going to love this book! I have three copies up for grabs in this week’s giveaway so enjoy the interview then be sure to check in below to learn how you can enter to win a copy for free.

An Interview with Deborah Moore, Author of A Prepper’s Cookbook

Tell me about your book. What is it about?

This is not just a cookbook; it’s a life book. I lived completely off-grid for seven years in the harsh environment of the woods in the northern Upper Peninsula of Michigan. The cookbook is generously infiltrated by stories of my life, trials and elations of that time—and I wouldn’t trade that experience for anything.

The recipes are actual meals I prepared from what I kept in the pantry. Considering my nearest grocery store was thirty miles away, I kept a well-stocked and very diversified pantry.

What type of research did you have to do while writing your book?

Research? It has been an ongoing, daily learning experience for this one-time-city girl—the living part, that is. The cooking part I’ve done my entire life. The most ‘research’ I had to do was to actually measure ingredients! I’m a little-bit-of-this-and-more-of-that kind of cook.

How long did it take to write?

Now, this is hard to pin down. I could go back as far as my first experience as a NON-prepper, when I was a nineteen-year-old bride in Detroit. A big snow storm was predicted and we were all cautioned to stay off the streets once it started. Realizing I had very little food in the kitchen, I went grocery shopping to ensure that my new husband and I could obey and stay in for the few days it would take to clean up the roads.

The stores were packed. It took me longer to check out than it did to shop. Right then it struck me that if I hadn’t or couldn’t get out, then or later, we wouldn’t have enough food—and it would be
my
fault. I vowed that would never happen.

That was the beginning of my prepper journey, and every day, every experience has added to my knowledge. It was that knowledge that I poured into this book, so I guess you could say it has taken me fifty years to write!

Every book, fiction and non-fiction, includes a message. What message do you hope my readers will take with them after reading your book?

This is easy. I firmly believe that we are all responsible for taking care of ourselves and our families. It is up to each one of us—not the government—to see to those needs, whether it’s having enough food to last through a snowstorm or enough lifesaving medication to get past a small paycheck.

Preppers do that by not relying on anyone outside their circle. A word of advice here: don’t talk about what you have, what you do, or where you are.

Can you tell us a little bit more about yourself?

This where I always run into trouble. I’m a very private person. I will say, though, that I’ve lived a very interesting life. I’ve been married twice and divorced twice. I’ve been single now for over twenty years, and I’m comfortable in how my life has evolved. I’ve been scuba diving around the Caribbean, and I’ve gotten lost in the woods looking for wild mushrooms. I’m not afraid to try something new or do something I’m not ‘supposed’ to do.

I split and stack my own wood; I can and do use a chainsaw; I get on the roof and brush the chimney; I rototill the garden and cut the acre of grass: All things the ‘man’ of the house is expected to do. I drove—by myself—2,500 miles, just to watch my eldest son do the last jump of his military career into the Gulf. And I’ve done all this and more while working and writing. I think that kind of independence is what keeps me single.

I have two incredible sons—very different, yet very much alike—and each one has given me a grandchild that is very precious. When others talk about being estranged from their children, I can’t fathom that. My sons and I have never even had a bad argument. After being divorced from their father for forty years, he and I are still close friends. How many can say that?

Oh, and I LOVE to cook!

As an author in the survival, prepping, self-sufficiency or homesteading niche, what are you personally preparing for?

EVERYTHING!

As complicated as that may sound, it’s really quite simple. There are basics that are needed to live your life regardless of what the ‘disaster’ is. If you have a power outage of an undetermined length of time, or a complete collapse of the economy, you need shelter, food and water. Taking that a step further, you need shelter and a means to heat and/or cool it according to your area.

I live where it gets cold and very snowy during the winter; I heat with wood in a wood cookstove. This doubles to solve the next problem of preparing the food I have stored: it’s a cookstove, I cook on it and I cook in it.

Water will always be a primary need; you can get potable water from a mud puddle if you have the right filtering system.

What would be your first prep-step if you were just getting started?

I would designate an area to keep supplies. Food and water are important, but so are soap, toothpaste and pet food—remember that
what
you store is a very personal thing. There are long term supplies and short term. Long term items don’t need to be rotated as often as short term.

What movie do you think gives the best portrayal of what could happen?

There was a series on TV called “
”; there were a lot of flaws in it, but a lot of good advice too. It showed the results of not enough to go around, and what happens when others try to take what you have—and that will happen.

Do you have plans for another book?

I have a series called
. It’s all about prepping in a fictional format. It follows the ups and downs in one woman’s life and her family’s life during a series of natural disasters.

Currently there are five books in the series and I’m working on the sixth. Most of my followers are avid fans, all saying the story is riveting because it reads so real.

Is there anything else you would like to share with my readers?

Research, read, study and put into practice what you’re learning.

My sister, in an all-electric house, loses power frequently. She finally got a small propane camp stove to cook on, but was afraid to try it. Once she did, in a non-emergency situation, she had the confidence and the knowledge that helped her later.

Prepping is a way of life, not a past-time—and it’s NOT hoarding; it’s ensuring YOU and your loved ones will survive.

The Giveaway

Deborah and her publisher have reserved 3 copies of his book in this newest Book Festival Giveaway.

a Rafflecopter giveaway

The deadline is 6:00 PM Pacific Tuesday with the winner notified by email and announced on the Rafflecopter in the article. Please note that the winner must claim their book within 48 hours or an alternate will be selected.

Note: This giveaway is only open to individuals with a mailing address in the United States.

The Final Word

The back cover of A Prepper’s Cookbook says:

“Deborah D. Moore will take you on a fun, step by step journey to recreate the same meals she makes every day using only what she has stored in her pantry.”

Whether it is a disaster, a sudden loss of income, or the end of the world as we know it, there are times we must make do with what we have on hand. This is especially true when it comes to the food we eat. Let me assure you that this book is going to help. Good luck in the giveaway!

For more information about the books in this latest book festival, visit Prepper Book Festival #12: The Best Books to Help You Prepare, Stay Healthy and Be Happy.

Enjoy your next adventure through common sense and thoughtful preparation!

Gaye

If you enjoyed this article, consider voting for Backdoor Survival daily at Top Prepper Websites!

In addition, SUBSCRIBE to email updates and receive a free, downloadable copy of my e-book The Emergency Food Buyer’s Guide.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spotlight: .A Prepper’s Cookbook: Twenty Years of Cooking in the Woods

In a disaster, having food isn’t enough – you also have to know what to do with it.

Deborah D. Moore has been a Prepper for most of her life, long before the term was popular. She believes in being prepared to winter in during the long cold months that she has to endure on the the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. An entire room of her small home is devoted to food and supply storage. Since her house is small it’s easy to heat with the wood cook stove that at the same time gives her a means of cooking and baking her food supplies.

Featuring over 100 recipes, author Deborah D. Moore will take you on a fun, step by step journey to recreate the same meals she makes every day on her wood stove using only what she has stored in her pantry.

Bargain Bin: For your convenience, here is a complete list of all of the books in BDS Prepper Book Festival 12.

Survival Fiction

Non-Fiction

~~~~~~~~~~

Plus: The Preppers Guide to Food Storage

No list of books would be complete without my own book,

The Prepper’s Guide to Food Storage. The eBook is only 99 cent plus the print version is available for less than $6.00.

q?_encoding=UTF8&ASIN=1500153362&Format=_SL160_&ID=AsinImage&MarketPlace=US&ServiceVersion=20070822&WS=1&tag=continmoti-20

~~~~~

Need something from Amazon (and who doesn’t)?

I earn a small commission from purchases made when you begin your Amazon shopping experience here. You still get great Amazon service and the price is the same, no matter what.

Amazon has a feature called Shop Amazon - Most Wished For Items. This is an easy tool for finding products that people are "wishing” for and in this way you know what the top products are. All you need to do is select the category from the left hand side of the screen.

Help support Backdoor Survival. Purchases earn a small commission and for that I thank you!

~~~~~

A frequent question I get on Backdoor Survival has to do with healthcare matters when there is no doctor around. This is the definite source of survival medical information for all Prepper’s and is my go-to bible for survival medicine.

Survival-Medicine-Handbook-2016-1.jpg?6ea51b

The post A Prepper’s Cookbook + Giveaway by Gaye Levy first appeared on Backdoor Survival.

Continue reading...