We all know the constitutional missions of the militia (Execute laws of the Union, suppress insurrections, and repel invasions; Art 1, section 8, clause 15). But what are the specific missions of the militia?

Each unit has their overall mission, which can be broken into specific missions. An example is an Infantry company's mission is to the fight the enemy, but has specific missions like patrol to contact and establish combat outpost. So what are the specific missions of the militia?

• Thanks 1

That's a good question.. I have always viewed the militia as a group designed to just do whatever it takes to fight back..

Yeah, each group needs to figure out the best priorities for itself. Personally, our mission priorities are first self preservation: evade and recon. Next is establishment of long term resistance, set of base of operation and establish supply lines. Third is establishment of intelligence sources; finding those that will feed us information about enemy operations. Forth, active resistance; simple sabotage, man-trapping, sniping, hit-and-run techniques.

• Like 2

I see the primary mission as community safety and security.

"Community" has several layers and each layer has a diminishing priority

1. Immediate Family

2. Extended Family

3. Neighborhood

4. Municipality

5. County

6. State

7. Union of States

Safety and security means responding appropriately to any crisis, disasters, needs, etc. as each situation requires and withing the capacity in which you are trained and capable as individuals and as a team.

Militia units should work to build specialty skills that make them valuable in the event that such skills are needed. As skills are developed and eventually mastered, the unit can choose to develop more specialized skills.

Such skills would be just about anything from security, advanced medical aid, food storage and preparation, communications, farming, intelligence gathering, room clearing, etc. The list is endless.

However, all militia are first riflemen.

Despite what people think, it will not be like the Revolutionary war were the Militia formed a standing army to be the main fighting force. Our main mission would be more of a Guerrilla war. You will be fighting from the shadows.

• Like 2

First I believe the mission as stated above(Eric) would be training, supply, Intel. You are part of a para military unit and need to be preparing for eventualities that may require your units skills.

Second and I will preach this to I die of whiskey and bacon overdose, If your in a militia unit you should keep your protesting and political action separate from your unit. Yes, I know first amendment and such. Why? Because now your part of a unit that is something bigger than your self and your actions reflect on that group. Go to whatever rally, effigy burning, sit in, bake sale you want. Just leave your units name out of it. "But I'm not gonna do anything bad." Neither were thousands of Japanese during world war two. Play defensively and let somebody else make the first mistake. Chess not checkers.

Training for guerilla operations is a study of all tactics domestic, foreign, modern military, SF, narco cartel, terrorist, Street gang, Mafia, and Etc. John Poole has a great couple of books on the Tactics of Islamic insurgents. Study up on current tactics of cartels south of the border. As for incorporating them you could do a some man tracking class through your local biggest city, or teach stuff like dead drops and clandestine communication techniques. Bring a local club bouncer in to teach about fake IDs. Not everything will be Multicam and long guns out in the sticks.

• Like 3

I would say by studying previous Guerrilla wars and tactics would be a good start. A book titled Total Resistance would be a good reference manual. Any Army Manual regarding guerrilla warfare would be good reference material. I would also say train small unit tactics like the Ranger Handbook.

I know most people envision standing on the field, giving a rebel yell while fighting off the occupiers, but truth be told most Militias are going to start out small and not have the numbers of a standing army. The start of any resistance is going to be small hit and run actions. It would not be until the realization sets in to most people of how bad crap is before they start fighting back. Then you might have a little more manpower numbers.

• Like 2

I would say by studying previous Guerrilla wars and tactics would be a good start. A book titled Total Resistance would be a good reference manual. Any Army Manual regarding guerrilla warfare would be good reference material. I would also say train small unit tactics like the Ranger Handbook.

I know most people envision standing on the field, giving a rebel yell while fighting off the occupiers, but truth be told most Militias are going to start out small and not have the numbers of a standing army. The start of any resistance is going to be small hit and run actions. It would not be until the realization sets in to most people of how bad crap is before they start fighting back. Then you might have a little more manpower numbers.

Even then the goal is to build up manpower numbers, but you doing want to keep with the Guerrilla warfare.

• Like 1

I guess it would depend on the situation at hand. Trickery is key for me. Be unpredictable unto the enemy. Dont let the enemy know your actual group size, keep split up into 2 or 3 (pending on your group size). If one group were to spot hostiles, keep low and radio in to the others the location and estimated numbers. When or if able, triangulate your group in spots to trap them in. (Make sure your team members/other groups are not in your cross fire). Have one group make their selves known and draw fire. Then have that decoy group seek cover and stay low while the other 2 groups processed into the hostile's flanks. Always stay behind cover until command is given to move. This way the chance of cross fire is not optional. Distance and location is critical on this plot. It will confuse the hostile and possibly making them surrender. I would much rather them surrender than to kill. Im not an attacker, im a defender.

• Like 2

I guess it would depend on the situation at hand. Trickery is key for me. Be unpredictable unto the enemy. Dont let the enemy know your actual group size, keep split up into 2 or 3 (pending on your group size). If one group were to spot hostiles, keep low and radio in to the others the location and estimated numbers. When or if able, triangulate your group in spots to trap them in. (Make sure your team members/other groups are not in your cross fire). Have one group make their selves known and draw fire. Then have that decoy group seek cover and stay low while the other 2 groups processed into the hostile's flanks. Always stay behind cover until command is given to move. This way the chance of cross fire is not optional. Distance and location is critical on this plot. It will confuse the hostile and possibly making them surrender. I would much rather them surrender than to kill. Im not an attacker, im a defender.

You are almost quoting Guerrilla Warfare manuals. Have you studied asymetric warfare?

You are almost quoting Guerrilla Warfare manuals. Have you studied asymetric warfare?

No, i have not. I get my info from the Holy Spirit.. This militia is my calling. I am a soldier of God. Not to brag, but i am very smart and common sense is my only tactic. I am a very quick thinker

I recommend reading more tactical books. On a battlefield, common sense and logic often go out the window.

• Like 1

I recommend reading more tactical books. On a battlefield, common sense and logic often go out the window.

I understand

Militia units or teams, are not like standing armies in any way, shape, or form.  Compared to organized militaries, the militia does not have an abundance of resources on hand, and in a lot of cases, their members have not received specialized training like some organized groups.  I think militia groups are apt to find themselves in a guerilla/information gathering role...activities that usually involve small teams...besides that, the resource pool they draw from is probably limited.  Recommend reading up on guerilla warfare and methods that have been used successfully in the past- Sun Tzu's The Art of War still makes a lot of sense, even though it is dated.  Max

On 7/19/2016 at 7:50 AM, Whiskey6 said:

We all know the constitutional missions of the militia (Execute laws of the Union, suppress insurrections, and repel invasions; Art 1, section 8, clause 15). But what are the specific missions of the militia?

Each unit has their overall mission, which can be broken into specific missions. An example is an Infantry company's mission is to the fight the enemy, but has specific missions like patrol to contact and establish combat outpost. So what are the specific missions of the militia?

Without unity in common thought or mission, every militia will break apart. One mission of a militia needs to be doing tasks as a team, even if it is just pizza on a Friday night. Everyone will go their own separate way without a sure bond that the fellow militia member (and his family) will protect their backs when things go sideways.

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 10:36 AM, Whiskey6 said:

How do we facilitate the training for guerilla warfare?

You could start with a google search.  Read, read, read.  Several years ago I saw a book on establishing a guerilla unit; from recruiting to conducting combat operations.  Sorry I don't recall the author, but IIRC he was a military man (Colonel somebody).  There's no shortage of books on conducting guerilla operations.  I would start with intelligence gathering techniques and build from there... assuming you have a group already.  If not, I'd start with recruitment.  Baby steps.

Remember that even Guerilla units are bound by the International Rules of War, otherwise you'll be branded as common criminals, terrorists or even war criminals.

• Like 2

some historical research into are revolution and civil war can give you a hand with some good tactics for guerilla warfare...but as anything it comes down to skill nd luck...https://www.amazon.com/Guerrilla-Warfare-Tactics-Urban-Environments-ebook/dp/B06XGJ8MNS/ref=sr_1_4/140-7606425-1266723?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1542288486&sr=1-4&keywords=guerrilla+warfare+tactics ...this is what you want...no need to buy anything else if you have this and the art of war...and maybe this Joe nobody book https://www.amazon.com/Home-Schooled-Shootist-Training-Carbine-ebook/dp/B009081B2Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1542288750&sr=1-1&keywords=nobody+joe+home+schooled+shootist   haha...good luck...this was a good topic

'

• Like 1