AIM01

Defensive or Offensive

So I am curious as to, how many members or militias is preparing for defensive or offensive in a SHTF scenario? Another words, when something happens, will you or do you already have a position/compound set up to defend? Or, will you be linking up with other militias across different areas?

Personally, I am torn on this & here's my key reasons. As we seen with the Burns Oregon deal, there was FBI members posing as militia members right inside their own compound. So therefore, it makes me weary to link up with other militias because you truly don't know who the man/woman is beside you. Are they on your side? Or, simply posing as a battle buddy?

With this in mind, I am leaning more towards of defensive mode. One reason is, I can know exactly who is in my compound because of screening procedures I have in place. Two, we will know the area and terrain. Three, we can provide 360 degree security of my compound. Fourth, we will have an abundance of firearms & ammo in one location.

Now of course, Is it possible that we would have to move to a different location? Yes, but that's why you have a plan B & C........and D. So what is you guys plan of attack in SHTF scenario?

On a large scale SHTF scenario like the civil war was, I would probably be linking up with other militias and simply hope for the best.

Look forward to you guys tactics and replies.

I live in a rural area about 15 minutes away from a town of 3k people, and about 45 minutes away from a city of 100k or so. My plan would be defensive for the first few weeks. Food, water, shelter at home. Get the family locked down into the new reality. I figure in a real SHTF situation, the first two or three weeks will have the unprepared general populace going into all out riot and survival mode in cities and surrounding areas. When that settles out, then an assessment of any needed offensive options will occur. We really have become dependent upon technology for communications. A SHTF scenario involving an EMP strike would leave most of us third tier offensive persons in the dark.

I'm all about defense. I plan to bug in when the shtf, until it gets too bad at which point I will bug out. My entire home is built around a defensive strategy... You come through that door and I don't know you, you will catch a bullet.

I would think defense, hunker down protect the family, assist or augment local law enforcement. Let other militia contact you, meet discuss strategies decide whether they are trustworthy, then combine forces when there is a common goal or plan of action. We must know the overall objective prior to going on the offense, who has what responsibilities ,what assets are available, who has those assets, unless that offense has a defensive nature to it. Sometimes you must be offensive in order to have a good defense, preemptive strike.

I am all about the defense. Back out and let the worst happen to those who couldn't be bothered to help themselves. However, if I see some bad guys that are not prepared about their own security, well. I can be a little opportunistic and go on the offensive.

Each group should try to have some idea of who/how many other similar groups are in the general area - say 30/50 mile radius. Prior contakt should have been made and some sort of commo set up. If at all possible there should be leadership/command meetings held on a periodic basis, say 60 - 90 days.

IF none of this is done before hand then when TSHTF it may well be "way to late!"

I also agree that it is a good idea to have established "fall back" or 2ndary move to locations AND have parcticed doing so! IF said location is secure then also have a resupply stash there.

One thing that I remind the members of our group and something I always make sure perspective members understand when I go to meet them is the role of the Militia and how that differs from a prepper group. We may be prepping but what sets us apart is our job is to help fix whatever problem caused the SHTF and to keep our community safe. We can't accomplish that if we're hunkered down in a bunker or hiding out in the woods waiting for the smoke to settle. We may have to bug out to live to fight another day but that's plan B, C or D. The militia is a defensive group but once it's time for us to be called upon our group will be on the offense.

As for working with other groups, that's something you should be doing already. Generally speaking, being distrustful of another group or someone who wants to join your group is counterproductive. It's OK to be cautious but don't be so cautious you're missing opportunities to strengthen or grow your group and this movement. I've been around long enough to see that cause more than a few groups to fizzle out.

If I am needing to hunker down at my base location because I am cutoff from joining up with my group then it will be defensive. If I need to bug out then it will turn to an offensive maneuver only if needed.

I think each group should have an offensive detail trained more so to handle it if needed. The remainder of the group is located at HQ to be the defensive part of the group, take care of family, friends and the sheep.

Coming at this from an Army stand point, I think we need to start with Identifying the missions we expect to fulfill, from there formulate the METL(mission Essential Task List), then you can easily train in both Offensive and Defensive operations. As militia, we're not soldiers, per se. Instead, we are more akin to Posse or National Guard. That means our focus is local, instead of national. We should be able to perform defensive operations in and around out local areas, to protect the local citizens.

Yes, if you aren't sure exactly what we are supposed to do look at the mission of the National Guard. They are the organized militia, we are the unorganized militia. Same goal except we're more outside political influence since they don't fund us. So when the National Guard is ordered to only protect Gov. buildings for political reasons, like in Ferguson, we need to step up and fill the void. With that said a lot of people don't realize there is a chain of command above your group, the Governor being the Highest position, below them is the Adjunct General of the National Guard. Good luck getting them to recognize your group but maybe that's something we should be working towards.

When I said our group will be offensive that's not to say we won't have a guarded base of operation or that we would be out there going head to head with a better armed and trained force. Most likely, but depending on the situation of course, we would be using guerilla tactics. When you use offensive tactics to defend the Constitution and your community is that still offense or defense?

Anybody ever heard the best offense is a good defense? My high school football coach summed it up pretty well I think. Lay low and make your plan based on the utter confusion going on around you. One thing must remain consistent. What that is......is up to you. My consistency will be to stay alive and keep my family alive, then once all the stupid has elimanated itself, establish comms, regroup with my brothers and sisters and survive.

Yes, if you aren't sure exactly what we are supposed to do look at the mission of the National Guard. They are the organized militia, we are the unorganized militia. Same goal except we're more outside political influence since they don't fund us. So when the National Guard is ordered to only protect Gov. buildings for political reasons, like in Ferguson, we need to step up and fill the void. With that said a lot of people don't realize there is a chain of command above your group, the Governor being the Highest position, below them is the Adjunct General of the National Guard. Good luck getting them to recognize your group but maybe that's something we should be working towards.

When I said our group will be offensive that's not to say we won't have a guarded base of operation or that we would be out there going head to head with a better armed and trained force. Most likely, but depending on the situation of course, we would be using guerilla tactics. When you use offensive tactics to defend the Constitution and your community is that still offense or defense?

Good point.