Sign in to follow this  
News Feeds

25 Must Have Items for Your Survival Hygiene Kit

25-Must-Have-Items-for-Your-Survival-Hygiene-Kit-225x300.jpg

The Oxford English Dictionary defines hygiene as:

“Conditions or practices conducive to maintaining health and preventing disease, especially through cleanliness.”

During or following a disruptive event, life will be tough enough without having to worry about maintaining health and preventing disease. Why then, do I find the topic of a survival hygiene kit taking a backseat to articles about food, water, bug-out bags and life in the wilderness?

Today I plan to change that by sharing my own list of must have items to keep me clean, healthy, and looking good. And lest you question the “looking good” part, rest assured I plan to explain why that is important when faced with a survival situation.

25-Must-Have-Items-for-Your-Survival-Hygiene-Kit.jpg

Here is my list, in no particular order.

Best Practices: 25 Items to Include in Your Survival Hygiene Kit

1. Soap (I prefer
    )

2. Toothpaste

3. Toothbrush

4. Razor plus some

5. Dental Floss

6. Deodorant

7. Shampoo

8. Conditioner

9. Sun Shower also called a Solar Shower (
    )

10. Baking Soda (can be used as a shampoo substitute or as a toothpaste 50/50 with salt)

11. Epsom Salt

12. Laundry Soap (I use the
    )

13. (5 gallon bucket with seat)

14. Kitty Litter or other organic material to use with the potty bucket

15. Toilet Paper

16. Microfiber cloths to use for washing

17. Cotton tea towels to use for drying (
    and not too small for full-body use)

18. Hair cutting scissors

19. Nail Clippers

20. Feminine supplies (if applicable;
    )

21. Diapers (if applicable)

22. Comb

23. Hand Mirror

24. Lipstick (optional)

Why Looking Good Matters

To this day, I still get up each morning and go through the routine of dressing nicely, wearing makeup, and styling my hair (which is no easy task). Being a prepper did not change that. Furthermore, I make no apologies for having a desire to look good and for carrying a tube of lipstick in my my pockets and my packs right alongside a pocket-sized flashlight.

In my opinion, being able to face the world looking good increases confidence and self-esteem. This means you will attack your daily chores with a bit more gusto and enthusiasm. I believe this article on Natural News says is best:

By looking good, you get to boost your confidence. And when you look good, you know that people’s eyes are on you and that you have their attention. You’ll feel good about yourself and with that feeling, you are given the urge to do anything you want, to reach for your dreams and whatever goals you have in life. Once you get that confidence, you also start to be happy inside. Yes. Confidence is happiness.

The Final Word

Call it my upbringing or call it common sense. Whatever the reason, I am obsessed with personal grooming and hygiene. To further that thought, it is my opinion that maintaining good hygiene and good grooming should be part of a prepper’s overall strategy.

If you have not considered putting together a survival hygiene kit, consider it now. It is likely that you already have spares of many of these items already. Simply gather them together in one spot, and if you are ever forced to evacuate, your Survival Hygiene Kit will be ready to grab and go, along with the rest of of your emergency must-have items.

Enjoy your next adventure through common sense and thoughtful preparation!

Gaye

If you enjoyed this article, consider subscribing to email updates. When you do, you will receive a free, downloadable copy of my e-Book, The Emergency Food Buyer’s Guide.

You can also vote for Backdoor Survival daily at Top Prepper Websites!

Related Articles:

Bargain Bin: Below you will find links to the items related to today’s article as well as other personal favorites.

Dr. Bronner’s Magic Soaps Pure-Castile Soap: Of all of the Dr. Bronner’s castile soaps, tea tree is my favorite. I prefer to purchase the versions are already infused with essential oils since it does save me a step when concocting my own cleaners. ir?t=continmoti-20&l=as2&o=1&a=B00120VWJ0A little goes a long way with a favorite use being DIY Foaming Hand Soap.

No Rinse Cleansing & Deodorizing Bathing Wipes: One wipe is more than enough for a complete “bath”. These are a good backup when traditional showers are not available such as the week or weeks following a disaster. Also good for the sick room as well as camping, boating, hiking and such. Here is my review.

Advanced Elements 5 Gallon Summer Shower / Solar Showerir?t=continmoti-20&l=as2&o=1&a=B000J2Q0T4: For showering during power outages fill a solar shower and place it on a table or the floor near a sunny window. You can also lay them by the fire in your fireplace. The water may only be warm, but it is better than using cold water for showering. During warm weather, just lay your solar shower in the concrete sidewalk or asphalt drive way. It does not take long to become very hot!

8508316515_57400b5fba_m.jpg

Mobile Washer: I love my mobile washer which serves as a hand operated washing machine. Like a plunger, it uses a technique of pushing and pulling the water through clothes to clean them well without wearing them out. It uses a minimum of water and less soap due to the agitation motion. Use in a bucket (5-gallon suggested), sink or tub.

Amazon Basics Microfiber Cleaning Cloth, (Pack of 36)ir?t=continmoti-20&l=as2&o=1&a=B009FUFBTG: No list of DIY cleaning supplies would be complete without these wonderful microfiber cloths. They will last you for years and will allow you to replace paper towels forever. Truly. I color code using blue for glass and windows and the other colors for everything else. I love these.

Magic-Rags-420.jpg

Cotton Craft Scandia Stripe 12 Pack Kitchen, Dish & Tea Towels: You are going to have to trust me when I say these are the best cotton towels out there. I ir?t=bds2016-20&l=as2&o=1&a=B00ORHM1K4tried three different brands before I landed on these; they are heavier as well as larger and for lack of a better word, simply wonderful. As of this writing they are $12.99 for a dozen. You will not be disappointed.

10790014915_ede2543e1c_m.jpg Green-Mini-Cree-250.jpg

UltraFire Mini Cree LED Flashlightir?t=bds2016-20&l=as2&o=1&a=B006E0QAFY: At the time of this writing, this one is only $4.18 with free shipping. It is super mini sized, bright and waterproof. Plus, it uses a single, standard AA sized battery.

~~~~~

For over 25 years Emergency Essentials has been providing the highest quality preparedness products at great prices. Plus, each month they feature sales that quite honestly are fantastic. This month note the great sale prices on anything and everything having to do with water preps.[/url]

728x90aug2016.jpgshow?id=9PGNDhpmhqI&bids=417574.10001741&type=4&subid=0

I earn a small commission from purchases made when you begin your Amazon shopping experience here. You still get great Amazon service and the price is the same, no matter what.

Amazon has a feature called Shop Amazon - Most Wished For Items. This is an easy tool for finding products that people are "wishing” for and in this way you know what the top products are. All you need to do is select the category from the left hand side of the screen.

9-Best-Essential-Oils-for-Your-Survival-Kit-400x267.jpg

Special pricing this week on LLP, LXR, Refresh, and Melaleuca. Plus there is FREE SHIPPING if you purchase either a 5ml or 15ml bottle of 100% Lavender, Peppermint, or Rosemary (not all three, just one).

Spark-Naturals-Weekly-Sales.jpg

The post 25 Must Have Items for Your Survival Hygiene Kit by Gaye Levy first appeared on Backdoor Survival.

Continue reading...