fixer

New Forum - Medical General Discussions

As part of or realigning in prep for My Militia 3.0 roll out, this forum has been added for all general discussions pertaining to medical topics

• Like 1

Putting together medkits right now. Always have the most trouble here because im trying to keep it small and light but i want to have what i need if i need it. Putting together 4 kits, 1 for shtf, 1 for camping and back packing, one for general use and 1 that stays in the celler for the homestead. Ideas guys?

• Like 2

Putting together medkits right now. Always have the most trouble here because im trying to keep it small and light but i want to have what i need if i need it. Putting together 4 kits, 1 for shtf, 1 for camping and back packing, one for general use and 1 that stays in the celler for the homestead. Ideas guys?

I carry a "booboo" kit of a few bandaids, some neosporin, and some small packets of tylenol, mydol, and pepto. After that, I have a general med-kit, that carries a lot of gauze, more bandaids, a variety of otc meds, some bandage tape, a tourniquet and a larger tube of neosporin. Finally, I carry a trauma kit with an israeli trauma bandage, some wrap, some gauze, an EMS shear, and a pair of tourniquets. I want to expand what I carry, but its a matter of funds over items.

• Like 1

FarmerJohn check this kit out it is my edc and personal IFAK for every situation, see what you think.

Shopping cart

Product image Description Quantity Price

PX_HERO_SCOUT_IFAK_006_small.jpg?14439651676221901672

1 PX Hero "SCOUT" Individual First Aid Kit (IFAK)MULTICAM CAMO - $39.50 / BASIC SUPPLIES & TRAUMA SUPPLIES + $25.00

• Like 2

I bought a large military first kit. Its a backpack that opens into three sections. I have also been storing some meds just in case.

I bought a large military first kit. Its a backpack that opens into three sections. I have also been storing some meds just in case.

If your storing meds id recommend keflex or its generic, doxycyclin which is a good general purpose antib. And is also used to treat and prevent lyme. Ive seen the back pack kits a few times. Thought about getting one but its just not in the budget. Ive got alot of mixed stuff i pick up at the hospital once or twice a year. Regulations say they need to toss anything thats been in a patient room even if its unopened or unused. So rolls of tape, gauze etc i got a pretty good stockpile of. Right now im working on my pack kit. a two person bag. So i want to keep it around 1lb. Got the above mentioned antibiotics, suture kits, trauma pads, quick clot etc.

FarmerJohn check this kit out it is my edc and personal IFAK for every situation, see what you think.

Shopping cart

1 PX Hero "SCOUT" Individual First Aid Kit (IFAK)MULTICAM CAMO - $39.50 / BASIC SUPPLIES & TRAUMA SUPPLIES + $25.00

i tried clicking the picture but it doesnt load for some reason

I carry a "booboo" kit of a few bandaids, some neosporin, and some small packets of tylenol, mydol, and pepto. After that, I have a general med-kit, that carries a lot of gauze, more bandaids, a variety of otc meds, some bandage tape, a tourniquet and a larger tube of neosporin. Finally, I carry a trauma kit with an israeli trauma bandage, some wrap, some gauze, an EMS shear, and a pair of tourniquets. I want to expand what I carry, but its a matter of funds over items.

Same here, funds are a large consideration. Especially since alot of the top notch wants in the bag have an expiration date. Im suprised you dont have mole skin or something like it in your bag.On those long wet humps in the hills my feet get rubbed raw..my original kit is pretty similar to yours only ive got antib. In there, quick clot (powder+a pre treated gauze pack) sutures and a sterile kit for treating a pneumothorax

When ive got time ill post up an itemized kit. Maybe you guys can critic me on it and thanks by the way for the ideas so far. Mark, im going to google that kit in a sec

Shopping cart

i just took a peek at that kit on the site and for 40 bucks thats one of the best kits ive seen to date. Its got everything i pack in mine plus a few things i didnt think of and is still light. It lists trauma/adventure etc under each heading is a list of items. Does it come with all of the things under each heading or are they different kits you can add on or pick from?

Putting together medkits right now. Always have the most trouble here because im trying to keep it small and light but i want to have what i need if i need it. Putting together 4 kits, 1 for shtf, 1 for camping and back packing, one for general use and 1 that stays in the celler for the homestead.

Ideas...

• Hemostatic dressings of various sizes/purposes (Quik Clot, Celox)
  • A large assortment of regular dressing ranging from 4x4s and 5x9s to ABD
  • Combination of bandage wraps, 4” and 6”, such as Israeli Bandage, "H" wrap, Kling Roll gauze, NAR S-Rolled Gauze, Ace wraps, etc. (some of these have a dressing built in and others do not)
  • Heavy-duty 1" and 2" tape, such as North American Rescue’s non-breathable Gecko Grip Multi-Purpose Tape
  • Open chest injury seals (Bolin, Hyfin, Asherman, SAM); multiple sizes preferred
  • Tourniquets such as C-A-T, SWAT-T, SOFT-T or others

Airway/breathing management: These can range from a simple oropharyngeal airway to a full airway management pack. Equipment might include:

• Basic airway stabilization/ protection such as oral and nasal airways, a pocket mask, and a manual suction device such as V-Vac
  • Collapsible bag valve mask (Cyclone Pocket)
  • Chest decompression supplies (multiple sites)
  • More invasive airway control devices, like endotracheal intubation or supraglottic airways such as King tubes

• Like 2

I don't know, my med supplies range from bandages to crutches and everything in between . More a M.A.S.H. unit type thing . I keep trying to figure out what I can or would leave behind if SHTF but every bit of it will be necessary . Ugh !

• Like 2

I don't know, my med supplies range from bandages to crutches and everything in between . More a M.A.S.H. unit type thing . I keep trying to figure out what I can or would leave behind if SHTF but every bit of it will be necessary . Ugh !

I have a friend who built up his own CSH, three full sized DRASH Tents, a half dozen connexs and a number of GP Mediums and Largest. Its amazing to see. As for what to leave behind, have you though to make a tactical ambulance setup? Utilize how the military loads their medics, ambulances, and hospitals to get an idea of what is more permanent and what's more managable.

• Like 2

That's impressive to say the least. As for the tactical ambulance setup, I am unfamiliar with the military's specs for such things. I would however, like to find out some of this information so I can get a handle on how to best set up my supplies for situations as best as I can determine .

• Like 1

It's been hard to find a "pre-packaged" kit that isn't way over priced for what you get in it. I started mine by purchasing a few specialty items, Quick Clots, plastered gauze for splints, and a surgical kit. I add common items and otc meds. I find on sale. I also save some of my prescription meds. with extra (open dated) prescriptions. I now have a decent sized kit and continue to add to it when I find things on sale.

• Like 2

It's been hard to find a "pre-packaged" kit that isn't way over priced for what you get in it. I started mine by purchasing a few specialty items, Quick Clots, plastered gauze for splints, and a surgical kit. I add common items and otc meds. I find on sale. I also save some of my prescription meds. with extra (open dated) prescriptions. I now have a decent sized kit and continue to add to it when I find things on sale.

I started mine pretty much the same way. My medical closet in the house dwarfs my ammunition locker by quite a bit anymore. Hard to keep tabs on everything. I find myself breaking down already made kits and altering them depending on situation and need. Ive got a ton of the basics but some of the more expensive stuff i end up having to move around. Does anyone know if quick clot is good past the expiration date and if so how long? Something like that rarely is ever used and ive been tossing it when it expires because id hate to find out the answer when i need it most. I know some antibiotics etc remain effective past expiration though

i just took a peek at that kit on the site and for 40 bucks thats one of the best kits ive seen to date. Its got everything i pack in mine plus a few things i didnt think of and is still light. It lists trauma/adventure etc under each heading is a list of items. Does it come with all of the things under each heading or are they different kits you can add on or pick from?

No shit. Thats the best premade kit ive seen to date for the price than.q

My kit came with everything list in each category.

Just a couple of observations:

When you see the phrase "Israeli bandage" be careful. A lot of companies are selling the Israeli equivalent of the old USGI field dressing which is not the Izzy bandage most of us think of.

All tourniquets are not created equal. I highly recommend you do your research.

Those meds and other items are nice to have but honestly create a cluster fuck if you are seriously wounded. A blowout kit on your line gear and an expansion kit in /on the ruck is a lot better setup.

This is what I normally recommend be carried in an IFAK:

A pack of sealed sterile compressed gauze (Z-pack or kerlix)

A sterile dressing (either 4" Israeli bandage or USGI trauma bandage, OALES, etc)

A set of chest seals (either Bolin, Asherman, or Hyfin)

A roll of 2" surgical tape

A set of EMT shears

A properly sized NPA with a small pack of surgilube.

A tourniquet (CAT, SOF-T, etc.)

Duct tape rolled around a credit/gift card.

A 36" SAM splint (folded, flattened, and carried in ruck)

2 pairs of surgical gloves (nitrile or latex)

A small squirt bottle of Betadine, Provodine/Iodine, or sterile saline water.

A compact aidbag or expansion bag can be assembled and despite the large number of items on this list will fit in a small 3 day pack easily:

A Personal protection kit consisting of:

2 aluminum eye shields

2 emergency/survival blankets (mylar foil type or the heavier GI casualty blankets)

4 sets of sterile nitrile gloves

An airway management kit consisting of:

2 sets of chest seals

2 nasopharyngeal airways (NPAs) w/ Lube, 28 Fr or measured to the individuals

A fracture/immobilization kit consisting of:

1 roll of cloth medical tape 1" wide

1 roll of cloth medical tape 3" wide

2 ACE bandages 4"x4.5 yd

2 Cravats or triangular bandages w/ 2 safety pins each.

2 Sam Splints 4.25"x36"

A basic set of medical instruments consisting of:

2 tourniquets

1 set of EMT Shears

1 penlight or small LED flashlight w/spare batteries

1 headlamp w/ spare batteries

4 tongue depressors

1 set of small scissors

1 roll of duct tape

1 permanent marker

1 finger oximeter

1 sphygmomanometer

1 stethoscope

A bandage and dressing kit consisting of:

1 box of 4"x4" sterile dressings

1 box of 4"x4" sterile gauze sponges

1 box of assorted cloth band-aids

1 tube of neosporin or similar antibiotic

1 bottle of betadine antiseptic solution

4 rolls of sterile compressed gauze (Kerlix works fine)

2 Abdominal trauma dressings, 12"

4 trauma dressings, 4"

Sterile swabs - q-tips may work however won't be sterile and should be used with an antiseptic.

Enough moleskin to cover 4 adults feet completely

An OTC medication kit consisting of small bottles/tubes:

1 small bottle of Imodium or generic equivalent

1 small bottle of Naproxen (Aleve) or generic equivalent

1 small bottle of Acetaminophen (Tylenol) or generic equivalent

1 small bottle of Ibuprofen (Motrin) or generic equivalent

1 small bottle of generic 5g aspirin

1 small bottle of Sudafed or generic equivalent

1 small bottle of Benadryl or generic equivalent

1 small bottle of Calamine lotion or generic equivalent

1 small bottle of chewable baby aspirin or Bayer or generic equivalent

1 small bottle of Dramamine or generic equivalent

1 small bottle of Prilosec or Zantac or generic equivalent

1 small tube of Silvadene cream or generic equivalent

1 small tube of Hydrocortisone cream

1 small tube of Lotrimin Monistat or generic equivalent

Dental care kit consisting of:

1x dental mirror

3x dental probes/picks

2x temporary filling kits

small bottle of witch hazel

small bottle of clove oil

Remember: No matter how much Gucci gear ya got training is the most important thing you can get.

• Like 2

You mention an Oximeter, can you explain its use and why it is a good idea to carry one?

An oximeter can be a great little compact triage tool and will allow you to monitor pulse (and casualty oxygenation) without having your hands tied up checking distal pulses. Like any other tool it has it's ups and downs which is why I stress training. If you notice there's no decomp needle on the list - reason being without adequate initial and sustainment training it can be flat out dangerous. Good training is as important as any piece of gear.

• Like 3

Just a couple of observations:

When you see the phrase "Israeli bandage" be careful. A lot of companies are selling the Israeli equivalent of the old USGI field dressing which is not the Izzy bandage most of us think of.

All tourniquets are not created equal. I highly recommend you do your research.

Those meds and other items are nice to have but honestly create a cluster fuck if you are seriously wounded. A blowout kit on your line gear and an expansion kit in /on the ruck is a lot better setup.

This is what I normally recommend be carried in an IFAK:

A pack of sealed sterile compressed gauze (Z-pack or kerlix)

A sterile dressing (either 4" Israeli bandage or USGI trauma bandage, OALES, etc)

A set of chest seals (either Bolin, Asherman, or Hyfin)

A roll of 2" surgical tape

A set of EMT shears

A properly sized NPA with a small pack of surgilube.

A tourniquet (CAT, SOF-T, etc.)

Duct tape rolled around a credit/gift card.

A 36" SAM splint (folded, flattened, and carried in ruck)

2 pairs of surgical gloves (nitrile or latex)

A small squirt bottle of Betadine, Provodine/Iodine, or sterile saline water.

A compact aidbag or expansion bag can be assembled and despite the large number of items on this list will fit in a small 3 day pack easily:

A Personal protection kit consisting of:

2 aluminum eye shields

2 emergency/survival blankets (mylar foil type or the heavier GI casualty blankets)

4 sets of sterile nitrile gloves

An airway management kit consisting of:

2 sets of chest seals

2 nasopharyngeal airways (NPAs) w/ Lube, 28 Fr or measured to the individuals

A fracture/immobilization kit consisting of:

1 roll of cloth medical tape 1" wide

1 roll of cloth medical tape 3" wide

2 ACE bandages 4"x4.5 yd

2 Cravats or triangular bandages w/ 2 safety pins each.

2 Sam Splints 4.25"x36"

A basic set of medical instruments consisting of:

2 tourniquets

1 set of EMT Shears

1 penlight or small LED flashlight w/spare batteries

1 headlamp w/ spare batteries

4 tongue depressors

1 set of small scissors

1 roll of duct tape

1 permanent marker

1 finger oximeter

1 sphygmomanometer

1 stethoscope

A bandage and dressing kit consisting of:

1 box of 4"x4" sterile dressings

1 box of 4"x4" sterile gauze sponges

1 box of assorted cloth band-aids

1 tube of neosporin or similar antibiotic

1 bottle of betadine antiseptic solution

4 rolls of sterile compressed gauze (Kerlix works fine)

2 Abdominal trauma dressings, 12"

4 trauma dressings, 4"

Sterile swabs - q-tips may work however won't be sterile and should be used with an antiseptic.

Enough moleskin to cover 4 adults feet completely

An OTC medication kit consisting of small bottles/tubes:

1 small bottle of Imodium or generic equivalent

1 small bottle of Naproxen (Aleve) or generic equivalent

1 small bottle of Acetaminophen (Tylenol) or generic equivalent

1 small bottle of Ibuprofen (Motrin) or generic equivalent

1 small bottle of generic 5g aspirin

1 small bottle of Sudafed or generic equivalent

1 small bottle of Benadryl or generic equivalent

1 small bottle of Calamine lotion or generic equivalent

1 small bottle of chewable baby aspirin or Bayer or generic equivalent

1 small bottle of Dramamine or generic equivalent

1 small bottle of Prilosec or Zantac or generic equivalent

1 small tube of Silvadene cream or generic equivalent

1 small tube of Hydrocortisone cream

1 small tube of Lotrimin Monistat or generic equivalent

Dental care kit consisting of:

1x dental mirror

3x dental probes/picks

2x temporary filling kits

small bottle of witch hazel

small bottle of clove oil

Remember: No matter how much Gucci gear ya got training is the most important thing you can get.

Thank you for some an informative, comprehensive list. I will take many things from this to help complete my IFAK.

Keep the good thoughts coming.

• Like 1