Backdoor Survival

10 Basic Household Items to Use in a Survival Situation

10-Basic-Household-Items-to-Use-in-a-Survival-Situation-250x250.jpg

No matter how prepared you are, survival is really about making the most of what you have on hand. Did you know there are many items sitting around your house that can protect you, no matter what kind of catastrophe strikes?

If this list is any indication, women may be the ones to stick closest to since they have some of the most useful items. If you aren’t one, know one since they likely will have the best multi-purpose goods when the SHTF.

The post 10 Basic Household Items to Use in a Survival Situation by Gaye Levy first appeared on Backdoor Survival.

Original Source

• Like 1

I might ad to this list dryer lint, it is abundant, light, easy to store and is an excellent tinder . Learned it in Boy Scouts and I don't camp with out it .

• Like 2

In line with dryer lint, when on the move, collect small samplings of grass, keep them in a pocket for a while, they'll dry out and make excellent tinder in short order.

• Like 1

White Birch bark is a great fire starter too, in line with dry grasses. So are little root hairs on upturned trees. I dont know if anyone here makes maple syrup, but if you do, youve probably got dozens of old tap spiels laying around the house. Their only an inch long and weigh nothing. I keep one in go bag along with a nail the same diameter. If your out in the woods and cant find a water source, certain trees, any kind of maple and certain birches and few others, can be tapped with that spiel for a water source. The sap doesnt have to be boiled or filtered and contains sugar for a quick energy boost. Early spring is the best time to use this trick (feb-end of march) when the sap is running, the rest of the year its bitter and im pretty sure too much can give you a stomach ache. Old timer told me that trick

• Like 1