Erik Hanson

Need a revival. Any ideas?

So, my group has been on a sabbatical for a little while now. Many members stopped coming and we just kind of ran out of things to do to keep us interested. Leadership wants to continue, but things have just gone stale. Know what I mean? Got any ideas to bring new life to the dead?

• Like 2

last ohio militia is having an overnite meet at at a campground with canoe trip

i think its things like that , that strenghens units

• Like 3

Involving families is a good thing. We have had weekend training events with kids being taught first aid techniques and basic care while adults were taught skills much higher up in the spectrum. Keeping the seasoned people active is a way to draw and maintain the newer members. If you are doing drills to keep fresh, that should not get old. The flip side is...whatever members remain are your inner circle of reliable teammates.

• Like 5

There are topics to cover that involve engineering and not physical attributes and motor skills...for example: nuclear threats and fallout survival, EMPs and Faraday cages, constructing a homemade power source, producing your own alcohol (vehicle fuel...), etc.

• Like 1

We run our group with a core METL that has to be completed by each member to become a patched member. Everybody has to do it no exceptions. I give each guy a job outside of training from recruiting, vetting, admin, or reserve for guys who fall off the wagon and stop showing up. They get to either help with preps or get ranges set up. You could mix in stuff other than firearms / SUT training and do some of the other stuff guys will need to do. Ruck marches, building field fortifications, Gray man surveillance and counter surveillance in urban areas, get guys to go to other states to train with other units, get a guy to do a class of vehicle repair and maintenance in the field, do a class on battlefield deception and booby traps, do a class that is nothing but testing the range and capabilities of your comms, do a full blown bug out weekend exercise. The key ive noticed over the years is to pick one weekend every month for the year and stick to those days for training. the guys who want to show up will continue to and the guys you don't want anyways are going to fall out and not come back. It sucks that people are not more motivated to get out and do something hard but Fort Living Room is way more comfortable for some guys. Also we are in what is being called the ,"Trump Slump" for militia units. Everybody is slacking a bit because they think there is breathing room when in fact we maybe have 3 1/2 years at best if that.

• Like 3

Great suggestions Spectre. Where do you get specific information on training on those topics? Anyone have any Instructors Training Guides? I know there are a lot of books on these topics out there, but I am not always sure which ones are actually good and few are easy to teach others from.

• Like 1

I haven't found many books that good on instructing per say. What I have found best a to come up with a class outline before a class. But while creating it get info from multiple sources on the subject. Sometimes ideas on thinks from Brits, Aussies, Canadians, Rhodesians, etc are actually pretty good for what we are training for. I try to keep myself on topic so I don't get on a tangent. I've been to a couple civilian classes in the past a use that and any decent Military classes that had competent NCOs giving them as an example for how to teach. I think a big key is to keep guys interested and have breaks between transitions in the class from classroom to field. Involve the students and ask them to show stuff you went over. Make them T.L. for an exercise. Keep guys talking over you or about gear to a minimum so you can get through the class and task team leaders with keeping their guys in line. It may seem trivial but give guys props at the end of a class. I always do an A.A.R. and get feed back from the students to help down the road.

Some of John Mosby has some decent blogs on topics or classes.

Or you can always pick my brain on it. I could send some class examples, or help you get something going.

• Like 3

Outlines are good but worthless if you don't have someone that is actually knowledgeable and experienced in some kind of instructional environment. As an example I've been to groups that have done training using the task outlines in the CTT manual which are good barebones task outlines. But the guys trying to teach were grossly unprepared to teach - both unfamiliar with the material and unrehearsed. Any prior service Army/Corps NCO should be able to teach.

What we do is an Instructor/Trainer Class (ITC) as part of our leadership development. This arms folks to be able to develop training outlines (including task, conditions, and standards, resource lists, student handouts, graphic material if required, etc. It also teaches them the different types and echelons of training as well as gives them their first taste of giving a class.

If you'd like the slide packet we use for our ITC email me and I'll shoot it to you, it's too big to upload here.

• Like 2

^Truth. I've been to some classes put on by Ex-SF guys who had horrible teaching methods with zero flow and I've also been in a TAC COMMS class put on by a civilian who taught it with ease and professionalism.

Back to getting guys interested I'd toss some ideas out and challenge guys physically. You were in so you know what it takes outside of the square range to Infantry. I've noticed when guys complete hard tasks like the ruck we did today they come out of it with a bit more sense of accomplishment and pride in what they did.

• Like 1

I try to combine lessons, as well. Teaching a class or two in the morning, say on evaluating a casualty and basic comms. Then after lunch, have them ruck it out to a site, using comms to coordinate movement (through squad bounds), and when they get there, each of them have to evaluate a casualty. All GOs get to ride back in a truck, and all NOGOs have to race the instructors back!

• Like 1

Facebook unfortunately is probably the best place to start. You may want to start a group page and post events from the page in other militia friendly pages. There are a few blogs out there to hit up too. Other than those this would be the place to find more people to train with.

• Like 1

There is ALWAYS something to do. your unit needs to train monthly, rain or shine. It is important to bring unity to your unit to have something for everyone to do. Recommend you attempt to employ all members in a militia specific function within the unit. Be sure your unit has full support in Operations/Training, Logistics and Medical. These positions all are important and involve folks that not always feel they are needed but are in fact the backbone of a well rounded, operational unit.

• Like 3

Have you identified areas where your teams could improve?

One thing we do on occasion is actual work. For example, ingress maps to a city. We have to update the routes. Least cameras/least lights/new obstacles /old obstacles and so forth. Cities always change.

and then we have the wild gardens we plant. in addition to looking for old abandoned orchards. We plant apple and persimmon trees. peace time is ample time to prepare friendly ao's. Last year we planted close to 50 cherry trees and about the same in apple trees. we planted a few walnut trees as well. These things are foods that "belong in the area so they don't cause to much suspicion. Keep them spaced and with no apparent pattern.

Food is like a bunch of F's Find, Forage, Filch, and fix.

How are your folks on reloading skills?

How are their Trapping skills?

Sustainment skills are essential and fun.

• Like 2

Great suggestions Spectre. Where do you get specific information on training on those topics? Anyone have any Instructors Training Guides? I know there are a lot of books on these topics out there, but I am not always sure which ones are actually good and few are easy to teach others from.

So, my group has been on a sabbatical for a little while now. Many members stopped coming and we just kind of ran out of things to do to keep us interested. Leadership wants to continue, but things have just gone stale. Know what I mean? Got any ideas to bring new life to the dead?

How about a group project? Something that will utilize each team members personal strengths and skills to complete. Since everyone will be needed to complete the goal any member dropping out would be letting the team down. Good incentive, no one wants to be that guy.

• Like 2

Sorry that I missed out on this gents.

Well, its all still true more now than when first posted. And I agree with alot of the statements. I would point out to the powers that be, that tactical training and preparing is fine, but many of use old dogs came out of out holes cause we see this as a rear chance to unify and organize. We should be using this time to educate the public of who we are and what we stand for. Become activists of our own cause.