Sign in to follow this  
Quietsurvivalist

The Ketogenic diet made easy

Maybe not easy, but easy to remember.

See here’s the biggest problem with any kind of behavioral change, it requires YOU to be accountable to yourself.

And people have a hard time with that

Just a fact

What does this have to do with survival?

Simple guys.

You need to be alive to take care of your family. You need to be alive to take care of your group.

You need to NOT be “That GUY” online talking about what a badass he ( or her) is when they are killing themselves with their diet and inactivity.

THIS is prepping you can do, right now.

And really, how many action heroes do you see who are packing a spare tire?

So you need to start on your diet with a 30 gallon garbage can

Yup, a big garbage can. The small one in the kitchen isn’t going to cut it here, go big or stay chunky.

And you take that can into the kitchen, and everything NOT on the list coming up you pitch in the can

Or better, donate it to your local food bank.

Why the Ketogenic diet?

I got fat about a year ago, and Type 2 Diabetes became a reality. I absolutely believe my weight loss and a high fat diet removed ALL my symptoms of diabetes

Treatment of diabetes and diabetic complications with a ketogenic diet.

Long-term effects of a ketogenic diet in obese patients

Ketones suppress brain glucose consumption.

Ketogenic Diet for Cancer – Clinical Trial

https://www.nap.edu/read/13121/chapter/15  If you only read one of these read this one, it discusses how high fat diets can rebuild your brain and is especially important to veterans with traumatic brain injury

What is the Ketogenic Diet?

A ketogenic diet works on the principle that when no carbohydrate is stored in the muscles for energy, the body will power itself using its fat stores as its fuel source (a process called ketosis) causing you to lose weight quickly, efficiently and safely.

To attain ketosis, you need to eat a diet that is very low in carbohydrate (amounts will vary depending on the plan you are following and the stage of that plan you are on, but to begin with can be as low as 20 grams a day). This means your diet is based mostly on fat, protein, and green vegetables which make up most of the carbs you eat but give you vital nutrition. Here is a list of some suitable foods for someone following a ketogenic diet:

Ketogenic Diet Foods List: from http://www.theketogenicdiet.org/what-to-eat-on-a-ketogenic-diet/

Most important with this diet is absolutely NO breads or anything made with white flour

Italics are mine

Any meat (such as beef, venison, pork, veal, lamb) in any just about any cut or preparation, though check the carb content of processed meat products like sausages and ensure you don’t buy anything cured with sugar or honey. Strangely Elk doesn’t have much fat but I have freezers full and I love it so I just add more fat by putting butter on it after its off the grill. 

If you have issues eating enough fat you can supplement with coconut oil capsules from the vitamin isle

Best Naturals Extra Virgin Coconut Oil 1000 mg Softgel, 180 Count

Any poultry (chicken, turkey, quail, duck etc.). It is preferable to leave the skin on poultry to increase the fat content.

Poultry must not be breaded or battered, but can otherwise be prepared any way you like, roasted, stir fried, deep fried, baked, grilled or barbecued.-I eat half a chicken and a salad at work for lunch every day. 

Fish and shellfish. They should be fresh – things like imitation crab meat often contain added carbs – and if you buy canned fish make sure it hasn’t been preserved with added sugar. Again, it must not be breaded or battered- Ive never been a fan of seafood, I cant get full no matter how much I eat

Eggs. You will probably find that eggs become a staple when you are on a ketogenic diet.- I eat a metric ton of eggs and love them with Bacon, the forth food group

Cheese. Most types of cheese are suitable for a ketogenic diet, though they do contain some carbs, so make sure you include these in your daily carb count to ensure you stay below your limit.

Vegetables. Vegetables will be the source of most of the carbs you eat, but you still need to choose the lowest carb vegetables with the best nutritional value. Green leafy vegetables are the best, such as spinach, all kinds of lettuce and cabbage, watercress, Brussels sprouts and kale. You can also eat broccoli and cauliflower, celery, cucumber, asparagus, bean sprouts, radishes and more, but must strictly limit you intake of sugary vegetables like peppers, onions and tomatoes, and avoid starchy vegetables like potatoes. Pretty much everything growing above ground is ok, I eat Broccoli like candy, along with salads with a small amount of tomatoes. Stay away from carrots, they and potatoes are the devil.

Nuts can be eaten in moderation as a snack. I like Almond, but people are allergic to tree nuts like I am to Peanuts. 

Most kinds of oil, butter and cream can be used in cooking. Butter, and coconut oil. Dairy is a dispute point. If you use the full fat , low or no sugar yogurts you should be fine. Experiment, and find what works for you.

Fresh herbs and dry spices can be used for flavor.

Mayonnaise and oil based salad dressings are usually OK, but check the carb content on the bottle.

Artificial Sweeteners such as Stevia and EZ-Sweets can be used in place of sugar. I like Stevia drops or Truvia. Stevia in the raw contains a bunch of dextrose which is effectively sugar

Coffee tea or water. I use the truvia in the coffee I have at home and black. When I know I’m going to be short on fat early in the morning I take a packet of creamer

catalog-item-imgI really like this stuff and its 130 grams of coconut fat in your coffee. It doesn’t taste like the paste supplements used to taste like. I drink it because it keeps my fat intake up and it tastes good.

The other thing I do in every cup of coffee I don’t use a Kreme packet is I add a pat of butter to the coffee. With Truvia its really good.

Truvia Natural Sweetener, 400 Packets (Net.Wt 42.3 oz)

Keto/OS

Keto/OS was designed as a way for Navy divers to avoid toxicity from breathing pressurized oxygen at depths using a rebreather.

It is very effective according to studies for keeping the level of Exogenous Ketones in your blood providing fuel for your brain.

Ketones are produced naturally by your liver when your body burns its own fat as fuel for your brain.

I’ve tried pretty much everything legal supplement wise in my life and of course I did a study on myself ( because nobody in their right mind would let me do it to them)  and the KETO/OS is what I’ve found to work for me

I sleep like I’m dead and I’ve stopped any type of exercise so my evaluation isn’t tainted by results from exercise.

catalog-item-imgcatalog-item-imgcatalog-item-imgcatalog-item-img

catalog-item-img I’m not going to lie, I like them all. Definitely NOT the supplements from 30 years ago

I eat a lot

But there are days when my body isn’t hungry at all. Ive gone 12-14 hours and never felt hungry a bit. The fat in your diet helps curb the hunger issues

WATER!!!!!!

You need to be drinking water like a fish. I always have a bottle of water with me, and I’m always drinking.

Basic survival here, increase your water intake

Get off those damned diet sodas. They are not helping you loose weight, they actually trigger your body to store fat according to studies.

Coffee, Tea or Water

And no energy drinks. NONE they will kill you

And that’s pretty much it

Ive broken it down to as simple and easy as I can, I hope I inspire you to take control of your life and your future.

This is survivalism and prepping on a daily basis

Don’t talk the talk, walk the walk.

The post The Ketogenic diet made easy appeared first on The Quiet Survivalist.

View the full article