survivopedia

Must-Know First Aid for Gunshot Wounds

Gunshot wounds can be difficult to treat at all stages of the process.  It is best to take first aid courses and make sure that you get the best information and training on how to handle these situations.

View the full article

• Like 1

The author of that piece is full of it and spreading outdated dangerous info, i.e.

"Tourniquet – This is, easily, one of the most important items to  have on hand for treating wounds that cause a lot of bleeding, and also as a “last ditch” item for treating gunshot wounds to the extremities. "

Hell no, the TQ is the FIRST measure you take for a hemorrhage n an extremity. Period.

" Tampons – Aside from being useful when filtering water, tampons are also very absorbent and can be used to stop bleeding in fairly deep wounds.  Choose tampons that are unscented and offer the maximum absorbency rating.  Remember, tampons will also expand as they absorb blood, which makes them useful for packing wounds. "

What stops bleeding is serious pressure against the tissues along the wound tract.  You achieve that by properly packing the living snot out of the wound, compressing those tissues and providing a scaffold for clotting to occur. Tampons have no place in an IFAK for treating wounds. Great for vaginas, bad for bulletholes.

Tampons that are fragrance free still usually also contain chemicals like deodorizers, etc. Filter water with them? That's stupid.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Yeah before I put my gun on in the morning and all the rest of my edc I put my med kit on.super glue and quick clot and 3 dif size tourniquet and a rubber tube, stiches anti inflammatory pills and ointment iodine and a tampon I think that's it in my med kit if I forgot anything I should have please let me no.

Edited by Ripcannon

Tell that to the people that did that exact thing and are alive because of it...that being said your totally right it should be avoided but I think the exception is if that's all you got...I only use them for small wounds because when you hold it in a wound it seem to clot faster.but yeah always have a med kit of some kind on you I suggest...

14 minutes ago, Ripcannon said:

Yeah before I put my gun on in the morning and all the rest of my edc I put my med kit on.super glue and quick clot and 3 dif size tourniquet and a rubber tube, stiches anti inflammatory pills and ointment iodine and a tampon I think that's it in my med kit if I forgot anything I should have please let me no.

This is what you need:

a TQ (CAT or SOF-T, the rest are junk and haven't held up under extensive studies and practical use.)

A 4" Israeli Combat Bandage (the packet can double as an expedient chest seal)

Kerlix, if you want it compact go with the Z-Pack gauze.

A set of Hyfin chest seals (The packages can double as an expedient abdominal seal)

An NPA (typically 28FR) with a condiment sized packet of surgilube.

A 2" roll of durapore tape.

An ultra compact casualty blanket. (Great for protecting burn victims)

With that you can treat 99% of the trauma you'll run across. 

Some of the stuff you have doesn't make practical sense. It's not a good idea to even think about wound closure in a PHTLS setting. The focus is on stabilization. So I'd toss the super glue, stitches, meds, and especially the iodine - too many people allergic to it.  And Tampon? Get rid of the freaking thing.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Ripcannon said:

Where do you put it all ?

3 minutes ago, Ripcannon said:

Tell that to the people that did that exact thing and are alive because of it...that being said your totally right it should be avoided but I think the exception is if that's all you got...I only use them for small wounds because when you hold it in a wound it seem to clot faster.but yeah always have a med kit of some kind on you I suggest...

Show me one person that is alive due to a tampon. There is absolutely zero clinical evidence in the AMRI database of a tampon being used to successfully treat a trauma injury. You want to know where that myth started? A reporter form the Houston Chronicle was talking to some medics back in 2003 in Iraq from 1-8 Infantry and they fed him a whole line of B/S about eating matches to keep mosquitos away, using tampons, etc.

• Thanks 1

Yeah I got zero examples just figure there should be one or 2 again I wasn't arguing a fact... i put all of that stuff in my rescue task force med pouch.I actually carry iodine and medical super glue for me I cut my hands alot working on houses.I've stiched myself up a time or 2.I probably should just carry my orca tactical molle rip a way pouch it's got all that surgical solutions shit what do you think about rapid application tq.my go to is cat combat kit I keep in the truck it's just twice the size of the one I wear on my thigh.

Watch that superglue for closing wounds. A carpenter I know used to do that and he flushed a really deep thin cut with Hibiclens and used superglue to close it. He still developed tissue necrosis and ended up loosing a good chunk of his thumb. A carpenter ain't much good without a thumb. ER docs and most surgeons will tell you if it doesn't stop bleeding with pressure it needs to be properly cleaned and stitched. The cleaning part ain't fun but you really can't get a wound clean in a dirty environment like a job site.

• Like 1

Hey u can say I should and try to make me out as a dumbass but I rebut that saying I'm one of the fuckers out there that has these things at all times I do appreciate the advice 

30 minutes ago, Skillet said:

A 4" Israeli Combat Bandage (the packet can double as an expedient chest seal)

I'll def check this out never seen one that doubled as a chest seal that's cool...I'm a certified emt from heroes vacation club Im planning to take more classes any advice on that.

The package the izzy bandage comes in is an aluminizned plastic bag. If you cut it open along 3 edges you get a really decent expedient seal. Likewise with the Z-fold gauze. Besides the exterior package there is also an interior package that is clear plastic bag the gauze is in. Both of those work in a pinch.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Skillet said:

Watch that superglue for closing wounds. A carpenter I know used to do that and he flushed a really deep thin cut with Hibiclens and used superglue to close it. He still developed tissue necrosis and ended up loosing a good chunk of his thumb. A carpenter ain't much good without a thumb. ER docs and most surgeons will tell you if it doesn't stop bleeding with pressure it needs to be properly cleaned and stitched. The cleaning part ain't fun but you really can't get a wound clean in a dirty environment like a job site.

Your right about that I keep saline solution but water doesnt keep dirt out i never have much thought between superglue and stiches so I might loose the superglue I got a big bump on my finger from the last time i used it on a pretty deep cut that I should have stiched.thanks bro

Sterile water has it's advantages, it can also be used for flushing burns. A study a few years back showed that deep wounds flushed with water tended to heal faster, but wounds flushed with either provo-iodine or hibiclens suffered a 50% less infection rate.

• Like 1

So I was told that anti inflammatorys are needed as soon as possible when dealing with gun shot or stabbing wounds.???your saying not to due to a possible reaction i never thought of it that way thanks for that I probably should have known that.

The thing with giving meds in a Pre-Hospital Trauma Life Support (PHTLS) environment is that you don't have the medical history of the casualty, and if he casualty needs to go under the knife ASAP on arrival there could be contradictions with anesthesia, etc. Another issue is NSAIDS may interfere with the Cytokine response and suppress the casualties own immune response to the wound.

• Thanks 1

Quick clot sponge and powder plus

1 hour ago, Skillet said:

TQ (CAT or SOF-T, the rest are junk 

Kerlix, if you want it compact go with the Z-Pack gauze.

A set of Hyfin chest seals (The packages can double as an expedient abdominal seal)

An NPA (typically 28FR) with a condiment sized packet of surgilube.

A 2" roll of durapore tape.

An ultra compact casualty blanket. (Great for protecting burn victims)

I just put my new med kit bag together.I just need israeli elite bandage and I order 15 now there 7$ a piece there cheaper than my surgical sissors.

Shop around, you can find them on eBay with a 2022 expiration date shipped for around $7.50 a pop. FYI they are not all alike; the dark gray ones are the military spec ones and have the thread through them to keep them from rolling off if they come out of your hand and the elastic is a little stronger, the others don't have that thread and the elastic is a bit cheaper.