One of the things I miss most about Iraq, or even the military life in general, was just sitting around smoking and joking after work. 

Before I deployed, most of the time it was us getting off of work, heading the club, telling women we were pilots or special forces. We'd sometimes fight with the locals or any unfortunate Marines who wondered too far from their club. 

Then, while in Iraq, I'd get off of work sometime in the wee hours of the morning. I'd hang out at Green Beans, drink coffee until the sun rose or a mortar came in. 

• Like 1

It is the same across all services and branches. After work there's always the small groups hanging out in the parking lot talking about the game, the coming weekend, some gal in an MI unit, etc. I always noticed they would usually congregate until the extra duty guys started working and then they would disperse.

The thing I miss the most is watching people succeed, and the feeling when your unit came out on top, be it at NTC/JRTC or Brigade sports day.  I used to tell my guys let everyone else talk crap, we'll wait until we've earned it. And good lord my guys always seemed to cash in on that.

Green Beans... god that was nasty stuff, but always better than what KBR had brewed. In 03 XO had his private coffee stash, dude used to get boxes every couple of days sent MPO from his wife, she was Air Force and "deployed" to Germany. He kept us hooked up. 

One of the things I relished the most in the deployed early days was the ability to not have to focus on tasking guys to do garrison type crap. I knew it had changed when I got a speeding ticket on the FOB and the uniformity of tents and CHUs became a priority.

By 09, we got mwr shipments of Starbucks. My OIC hated coffee, so I had to cycle through each office that brewed. The civies' coffee collection was always all the unique flavored stuff. I just wanted MOACs.

I walked about a quarter mile to work at noon. I always stopped at GB, got two MOACs, would finish the first on my walk, the second in my office.

I got a serious case of cramp gut from drinking a MOAC once and that kind of broke me from Green Beans for a while. That and usually when I could get to it there was a line from hell.  An Officer that didn't drink coffee? That guy ain't being worked hard enough.

I had probably the shiftiest CW2 in the army, guy could get anything. He got us a case of really nice Stanley Thermoses and the guys used to include them in their PCI's. Overweight ruck? DIdnd't matter. That thermos was going regardless.

• Like 1

She was a politicking OE-2/3. That type of prior enlisted who liked to give "NCODP" to sergeants because they didn't snap to for her. She was career commo. I jumped over from armor. Let me tell you, don't be in a non-CA unit and be prior CA. I was the only swinging dick that went out to service our remote sites and liaisons.

Branch detail is murder. I ran into an MI Captain that had been a good solid LT in our Troop a few years earlier and I remember him commenting he wanted to hang himself every day.  I've seen the prior enlisted types, but usually they aren't too bad.

Most I met weren't. Hell our Company CO went mustang when he made his E-6. My OIC... I think she just didn't like our unit. We were follow-on forces, and she was an augmentee. She stayed when the previous unit rotated out, so she could have her time in the OIC chair. 

She gave me lip once. I put my rifle on her desk and told her she can fix the network, I'll be waiting at the MP headquarters across the street. Officers have to trust their soldiers, and their soldiers have to trust them for it to work. That humbling experience for her set us up to work well together. She didn't argue with me, and I never let her down. Hell, she tried to petition for me to be promoted to sergeant early.

Miss the mwr bathroom sex 

The stench that Iraq had at cropper and Stryker. 

Shit movie but the green zone with Matt Damon.    I actually could smell Iraq when they showed a place we had been freaked me out.

The team building and us vs the world we worked out together got insane shape I was down to single digit body fat. 

The sandwich bar that was open 24/7. The dfac food sucked 

Posted (edited)

Nice to see 3 prior military personnel. You all sound a bit younger than myself, I served from "85 to '93. Germany, Stateside, and Honduras in '89.

I miss the comraddery the most. I had friends that I lost touch with over the years, hoping to come across them on sites like this.

I remember when an MRE, a bottle of shampoo, or a $6 Timex watch could get you laid while in the field, you also usually got a dose of VD to go along with it. Honduras, great times. LOL

Edited by WMD
  • Like 1

84 to 07. We did Honduras in 87, man those were some interesting times. Never messed with the local girls, but I did drink my share of that Sala beer.

Congrats on your full 20+. I had enough after 8. I didn't mess with the locals either (I was married already), had many friends that did, that scream throughout base camp as they got rodded, it will forever remain in my memories.

I didn't mess with the locals except in Korea. The drinky girls were sketchy at best, but the locals out past the ville were amazing!

• Like 1

Had I re-enlisted I would have went back to the 317th which got moved to Korea in '89. There are days I wish I had re-enlisted, then there are days I'm glad I didn't.

I like Korea, away from the post. In TDC or on The Hill, it sucked.

TDC, lol. You know the MPs put a cage up in the middle of TDC and used to lock troublemakers up until they had enough to fill a van then haul them in to Casey? One of my tours was a C/J command sponsored tour in Yongsan and we used to come up on CP duty walking the hill. I can't even count the number of drunk GIs I put into cabs at the bottom of the hill.

Yongjugo was the place, but ya had to stay away from the turkey farm ;)

By '03 the Turkey Farm was verbotten. The Bn COs and CSMs had to check it on weekends. Only time I got to go was being our CSM's Driver.

Thinking back it was a lotta fun to see the bus dropping off turtles. We used to make sure when the new guys hit the ville at the first bar we pushed them through the door and yelled TURTLE! Always a fun sight. Likewise I remember there was a bar (in Tokori IIRC) that had a squad of midgets working it.

Haha, I remember my first trip to the Ville. Drank my first glass of Soju... Thought it was nothing until my Sergeant yelled for us to move to the next bar. After I stood, I thought I had been poisoned! I remember the floor rising to meet me!

I found a store here that sells Gin-Ro, but only in the glass bottles. I asked abut the combat bottles and they gave me a crazy look.

Haha, I think you have to make your own. We had to do bottle checks in the barracks of KTC from time to time. Two of the 'Mas would bring in mtn dew combat bottles.

LOL, always funny when Adjima knows your next position and is setup waiting for you to show up. I'll say this much: A bowl of steaming hot cheesy ramen and a pepsi on a sub zero day always hit the spot.

KTC, what ablast. Used to be tent frames and ya had to bring your own GP medium. The only thing there  back then was the PX trailer and the COAX doughnut shop.

I never saw no PX trailer. We had metal barracks. The Adjimas had GP mediums setup. Definitely coffee and ham egg n cheesy on freezing days hits the fucking spot. Pulled a night guard shift and lived off that coffee!

yeah I knew they dumped a ton of money into building it up, likewise warrior base now has barracks, motorpools, an HQ building, arms room, etc..

We did MOUT training in the new village in the soccer field area. Was a blast until you realize drunk soldiers can jump from the roof to and over the wall. Three soldiers in our winter gunnery had broken arms from that jump.

• Like 1