Posted (edited)

Many people mask their identity when participating in public-ish militia activity.  While I understand why, I think this contributes to the negative media perception -> resulting in negative public opinion.  Think of Antifa covering their faces.  Many will disagree with me, and that is ok. Its your freedom, I just do things a little differently.

That being said, my name is Joey Adair, PAO for Texas State Militia - Houston Unit.  We span Houston and surrounding areas of about 100-150 mi. radius.  Very well organized, very active in training, very active in recruiting.  Most of our members hold certs in skills related to their role in the militia. 

I joined TSM about a year ago.  I have no prior military service.  I tried 3 different times throughout my life to join, but was rejected due to a medical issue.  I found this and it served the purpose for me. I have ultimate respect for those who serve our community in an official capacity, such as military, law enforcement, or others.

TSM is very aware of public perception and thus go to great lengths to project a clean image.  We are not separatists, extremists, or supremacists.  We are not particularly political, most days politics aren't spoken of.  Our members are generally conservative or libertarians, however there is the occasional democrat.  We are not religious but have a chaplain for anyone who is. We are about 50/50 Christian/Agnostic. We run background checks on each perspective member, and each new applicant is interviewed by command staff and a law enforcement officer.

Everyone in our Unit is there for one main reason: to defend the constitutions of Texas and the US.  The other individual preferences are secondary to that and we all agree on that.

Come check us out.

http://www.tsmhouston.org 

or

Edited by Joey Adair
  • Like 2

Welcome Aboard! Feel free to join any conversations or start your own! If you'd like, feel free to start a militia setup here, where you can provide more information about your group!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Most train in a high cut bump mostly for accessories access. Some wear a ballistic however there are a lot of factors: 

1. Appropriateness of the training/mission (are we beating ourselves up today or are we focusing on learning unfamiliar material?)

2. Environmental factors (mainly how hot is it outside because its Texas)

3. Available resources for the member.

Many other things come into play, so we try not to officially recommend gear unless its a glaringly obvious choice. We recommend inexperienced new members not even go buy gear until they've been to a few trainings to see what other members are using. 

Edited by Joey Adair

Some ppl order theirs online, personally I just picked mine up from an army surplus here in North Houston.

We have a few gear junkies in the unit that always have to have the best stuff but mostly ppl pick up what they can afford from wherever they can get it.  We have a load out manifest, don't focus a whole lot on everyone having a complete load out. Mainly we just make sure that everyone gets the gear necessary for whatever training series we are preparing for. 

Honestly, if we focused on trying to get everyone to have the best gear Sold from the best places, we would be alienating many people who want to serve their fellow citizens and defend the Constitution.

Mine's just a simple hi cut bump helmet with The Arc rail and pic rail attachments. I picked it up and a army surplus store in Spring Texas. I think it was about $45 and it came with all the pads and the velcro as well.

Great deals are to be had at Army surplus stores.

20180818_191637.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Joey.  Glad your out there.  Am looking for an active group/unit in this area, and have not had much luck, so far.

I'm Alan P. Peet, I live in Huntsville, Texas, retired from Texas Department of Criminal Justice, I've got a Concealed Handgun License, I'm a Ham Radio Operator, and I'm interested in joining a group/unit of serious minded patriots (not fanatics), who are concerned with protecting and operating within the parameters of the U.S. Constitution, protecting their  families and helping the communities and neighborhoods where they live.  I'd like to get involved with TSM because they sound as though they adhere to the things I mentioned.

My gmail account is gecbad132@gmail.com.  The name Gus Rogers might appear at the top of the gmail.  This is why:  I have a Hotmail account under my actual name Alan P. Peet-while attempting to set up a separate gmail account under the name Alan P. Peet, the system would not allow it because I already had a Hotmail account using that name-in order to register  with gmail, I had to come up with a fictitious name (Gus Rogers).  But I (Alan P. Peet) am the only individual who has access to the gmail account. My Hotmail account is sandibean@hotmail.com but I do share that site with my wife, so, it is not private.  But I do use the nickname "Max".

Incidentally, I'm looking for a group within about a 50 or 60 mile radius of Huntsville.  That would take me as far north as Centerville, as far east as Groveton, as far west as Bryan/College Station, and as far south as the Woodlands-including the  towns within that radius.

• Like 1