Joey Adair

Why do you keep your identity secret?

Some may have seen my introduction on the Texas Militia page, but I wanted to ask openly the question for discussion:

Why do Militias try to keep their identity secret?

Public perception of the militia has always been very low. Obviously the media does a lot to curtail the reputation of the militia. It can seem overwhelming at times.  The media goes out of its way to portray the militia as a bunch of hillbillies/hicks, anti-government, conspiracy theorists, separatists, terrorists, racists, ... the list goes on.  This hurts our recruitment numbers, limits our capabilities, limits us in the positive effect we can have on our communities and ways that we can actually work with the government and gain resources from them when our goals are aligned.

I think part of the reason the media is so successful at this is because there is no counter-message.

Before I continue, I want to make it known upfront that I in no way advocate that ANY militia should be talking to the media to get the good word out. They would twist it, selectively quote, and piece together whatever narrative they wish. However, there are things we can do to promote a better positive image to the nation. 

The first thing on that list for me is to stop hiding. I understand that militias hide their activities because of "one day". That "one day" its feared that a vastly overreaching federal government will begin rounding up dissenters, confiscating guns, and threatened families that disagree with them. Yep, that's a possibility. And currently, the way popular public perception of militias is, they would have the public on their side. But what if that were different?  What if the public saw the militia as it truly is, the unregulated group of citizens that are there to help them, defend them, support them? The government would have a drastically more difficult time justifying to the public its actions against militias in that environment.

Besides, you can't hide. The amount of data available on each of us is beyond comprehension. When all cell phone conversations are recorded, all internet usage tracked and all emails monitored, can anyone seriously say they are hiding from anything?  If someone can, I'd say congratulations to those few, but is that a significant enough group of people to make a difference?

Who hides? People who are doing something wrong. Unfortunately that's public perception. Antifa covers their face. We should not.

I'd say this:

1. Still prep to go off grid. Plan to have capabilities without the need for infrastructure, because all of that can be cut-off. Remember to continue to train your unit in the use of these methods. Train to disappear, because yes, "one day".

2. Get out there and proudly display your unit. Publicly announce who you are, do things for the community, food drives, clothing drives, adopt a highway, habitat for humanity.  Volunteer.  Make it a requirement that every quarter your unit will volunteer their time for a charitable cause.  We can change public perception one at a time, and show them who we really are.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

The local media simply puts out the information about a group, and any interviews with its members they may get. Public perception is probably a 50/50, give or take based on what the group was doing during any media exposure they had. Don't go out and claim you are against the govt exclaiming the insurrection theory and that you are fighting against govt tyranny. Be involved with your community, do food drives, neighborhood watch programs, Big Brother/Sister mentors, conduct awareness and self defense seminars, etc, put your group in the correct light to the public right from the get go.

Private militias are actually illegal. Citizen groups/clubs (you can name your group/club anything you want) are limited in what they can actually do, just because you call yourself a militia, or think your group is somehow a Constitutional Militia, of which if you are not part of active military service you are not a Constitutional Militia. Groups of people out doing things together are fine, but military type training is forbidden. Your group can go to ranges and receive instruction, your group can go to classes to become certified in first aid, etc.

Each state has different laws, some states outright ban militia groups and any type of para-military training, I suggest operating within your states statutes.

http://bulletsfirst.net/2014/11/22/florida-outlawed-well-regulated-militias/

https://libertyfight.wordpress.com/2009/07/28/laws_regarding_private_militias/

Antifa are straight out terrorists and communists, local governments are too chickenshit to do anything about them because they use them for their own political gain.

Don't believe everything put out on the internet, many of these so-called "patriots" don't understand the first thing about our history, the history of Colonial America, let alone the history of the Militia itself. Their interpretations of what they claim are Constitutional or not, when challenged, they can not back up their assertions, most of which are nothing more then inane theory.

Edited by WMD

1 hour ago, WMD said:

Private militias are actually illegal. Citizen groups/clubs (you can name your group/club anything you want) are limited in what they can actually do, just because you call yourself a militia, or think your group is somehow a Constitutional Militia, of which if you are not part of active military service you are not a Constitutional Militia. Groups of people out doing things together are fine, but military type training is forbidden. Your group can go to ranges and receive instruction, your group can go to classes to become certified in first aid, etc.

I'm not aware of any US federal law, or law in my state (Texas) that makes a militia illegal. Only organized or unorganized.

https://constitution.org/mil/ustx_law.htm

1 hour ago, WMD said:

The local media simply puts out the information about a group, and any interviews with its members they may get. Public perception is probably a 50/50, give or take based on what the group was doing during any media exposure they had. Don't go out and claim you are against the govt exclaiming the insurrection theory and that you are fighting against govt tyranny. Be involved with your community, do food drives, neighborhood watch programs, Big Brother/Sister mentors, conduct awareness and self defense seminars, etc, put your group in the correct light to the public right from the get go.

Not sure what media you pay attention to but I would love to watch.  Our militia has made media statements that get twisted, so we stopped talking to them.

But yes I agree about "going out" and saying we are fighting against tyranny.  Because we are not. Until there is actual tyranny, we will not.  We look to the Texas government as allies.  We have worked with them before, and conduct missions with them at their request a few times per year.

41 minutes ago, Joey Adair said:

I'm not aware of any US federal law, or law in my state (Texas) that makes a militia illegal. Only organized or unorganized.

https://constitution.org/mil/ustx_law.htm

Texas law:

Texas. Anti-militia. Tex. Govt. Code; Ann. § 431.010.

As to Federal Law:

Laws Regarding Private Militias

Federal law prohibits paramilitary training and the manufacture or transport of weapons with the knowledge or intent that they will be used to create a civil disturbance. Ref 10 Federal law differs from most state laws prohibiting paramilitary training in that it applies only to the trainers, not the trainees. Under most state laws governing paramilitary training, participation as a trainee is also illegal.

https://libertyfight.wordpress.com/2009/07/28/laws_regarding_private_militias/

As to your Constitution.org link, remember what I said about believing everything that's on the internet. Why doesn't your link show the author of it's opinion piece? The interpretations they use to conclude their claims shows an ignorance of actual history and poor interpretation of what they are trying to use to justify their claims.

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, Joey Adair said:

Not sure what media you pay attention to but I would love to watch.  Our militia has made media statements that get twisted, so we stopped talking to them.

But yes I agree about "going out" and saying we are fighting against tyranny.  Because we are not. Until there is actual tyranny, we will not.  We look to the Texas government as allies.  We have worked with them before, and conduct missions with them at their request a few times per year.

Do you train with the actual Texas Military Forces namely the Texas State guard? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Military_Forces

If you truly want to be involved in a legal militia with military training, then the Texas State Guard would be the group to join.

Edited by WMD

Before I continue, assuming I take what you are saying as truth, then you mean to say that you are participating in a website that is harboring the activities and organizing of criminal activity?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Joey Adair said:

Before I continue, assuming I take what you are saying as truth, then you mean to say that you are participating in a website that is harboring the activities and organizing of criminal activity?

SMFH Just because you call your group a militia doesn't make you illegal, it is the activities that your group may do that would be considered para-military training and illegal. Calling your group/club a militia has no connotation regarding illegality.

Mymilitia.com isn't promoting or harboring activities that are illegal or promoting criminal activity.

Edited by WMD

1 minute ago, WMD said:

SMFH Just because you call your group a militia doesn't make you illegal, it is the activities that your group may do that would be considered para-military training and illegal. Calling your group/club a militia has no connotation regarding illegality.

People talk about military style training all the time on this site. Am I wrong? Just because you have a technicality that absolves you of culpability in your mind does not mean that you did not go to a website called mymilitia.com and converse with people who are actually organizing themselves as criminal organizations. (If what you posit is true). Reasonable doubt.

Also, there's no ill intent here man.  Just having a conversation.  Things get lost in the type, but its all civil discourse. 

Either way I think we're probably talking about the same thing but mincing words. 

2 hours ago, WMD said:

Your group can go to ranges and receive instruction, your group can go to classes to become certified in first aid, etc.

Regarding your citing the 431.010.a subsection:

When we train we don't train on public land.

Your quote regarding the Federal Law, seems to restrict the paramilitary training of groups that intend to cause civil disturbance. 

Honestly, I'm not sure of your intent in what you've been saying. Was it to say that because militias are illegal, they hide themselves?

2 minutes ago, Joey Adair said:

People talk about military style training all the time on this site. Am I wrong? Just because you have a technicality that absolves you of culpability in your mind does not mean that you did not go to a website called mymilitia.com and converse with people who are actually organizing themselves as criminal organizations. (If what you posit is true). Reasonable doubt.

I'll talk about military training too, as I spent time in the Army, or I have gone to a class that instructs military tactics, etc.

Like I stated, you can organize a group all day long, recruit them too, but just because you have a group together and you call yourselves a militia, doesn't equate to illegality. Illegality comes into play when you train illegally, when you espouse the "insurrection theory", etc.

7 minutes ago, Joey Adair said:

Also, there's no ill intent here man.  Just having a conversation.  Things get lost in the type, but its all civil discourse. 

Either way I think we're probably talking about the same thing but mincing words. 

I agree

11 minutes ago, Joey Adair said:

Regarding your citing the 431.010.a subsection:

When we train we don't train on public land.

Your quote regarding the Federal Law, seems to restrict the paramilitary training of groups that intend to cause civil disturbance. 

Honestly, I'm not sure of your intent in what you've been saying. Was it to say that because militias are illegal, they hide themselves?

Doesn't matter where you do "training", public or private land, if you don't have a state sanctioned instructor you could be subjugated to violation of the statutes per the individual state you are in. Know your states statutes regarding all this as they are all different.  Wyoming you can't even be called a militia.

In Wyoming, however, state law forbids the very formation of private militias. Under section 19-1-106 of the Wyoming Statutes, "No body of men other than the regularly organized national guard or the troops of the United States shall associate themselves together as a military company or organization, or parade in public with arms without license of the governor." The Wyoming law also prohibits the public funding of private militias. Anyone convicted of violating the provisions of the law is subject to a fine of not more than $1,000, imprisonment of six months, or both, for each offense.

Here's a better explanation of it than what I have stated:

In states that do not outlaw them, private militias are limited only by the criminal laws applicable to all of society. Thus, if an armed private militia seeks to parade and exercise in a public area, its members will be subject to arrest on a variety of laws, including disturbing-the-peace, firearms, or even riot statutes.

To sum things up: Such groups, in and of themselves, are not illegal. But they become the target of law enforcement for engaging in other illegal activity.

To answer your question of should you hide your identity, I would say NO, just don't participate in illegal actions and don't profess the "insurrection theory". Promote the good of what you are doing and show how you are helping your community.

• Like 1

431.001. Definitions

(1) "Reserve militia" means the persons liable to serve, but not serving, in the state military forces.

But for the above, I agree. I have called my lawyer and am waiting for a response.

Will let you know what they say about Texas Militias.

Thanks for the conversation.

Alright I spoke with my lawyer (sorry for the delay). 

In addition to the obvious 2nd amendment, Federal Law regarding militias:

10 U.S. Code § 246 - Militia: composition and classes: The militia is everyone between the ages of 18 - 45 (with some exceptions to gender, citizenship status and such)

There are some references to some statute of federal law that claim that militia training is illegal if it is known that the training will be used to cause civil unrest.  However, neither I nor my lawyer could find this.  Regardless, this only restricts training that is intended to do harm to society.

Texas Laws Regarding Militias
https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/GV/htm/GV.431.htm
Texas Government Code 4 C Ch.431

The militia is everyone liable to serve, or serving in the state military forces.

Title 4 - 431.010  - is no longer in the Texas Government Code

Militias are not illegal.  Things militias may do, or individuals in militias may do could be illegal.  But the formation, training as a military company (even in public) is not prohibited.

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 12:49 PM, Joey Adair said:

Some may have seen my introduction on the Texas Militia page, but I wanted to ask openly the question for discussion:

Why do Militias try to keep their identity secret?

Public perception of the militia has always been very low. Obviously the media does a lot to curtail the reputation of the militia. It can seem overwhelming at times.  The media goes out of its way to portray the militia as a bunch of hillbillies/hicks, anti-government, conspiracy theorists, separatists, terrorists, racists, ... the list goes on.  This hurts our recruitment numbers, limits our capabilities, limits us in the positive effect we can have on our communities and ways that we can actually work with the government and gain resources from them when our goals are aligned.

I think part of the reason the media is so successful at this is because there is no counter-message.

Before I continue, I want to make it known upfront that I in no way advocate that ANY militia should be talking to the media to get the good word out. They would twist it, selectively quote, and piece together whatever narrative they wish. However, there are things we can do to promote a better positive image to the nation. 

The first thing on that list for me is to stop hiding. I understand that militias hide their activities because of "one day". That "one day" its feared that a vastly overreaching federal government will begin rounding up dissenters, confiscating guns, and threatened families that disagree with them. Yep, that's a possibility. And currently, the way popular public perception of militias is, they would have the public on their side. But what if that were different?  What if the public saw the militia as it truly is, the unregulated group of citizens that are there to help them, defend them, support them? The government would have a drastically more difficult time justifying to the public its actions against militias in that environment.

Besides, you can't hide. The amount of data available on each of us is beyond comprehension. When all cell phone conversations are recorded, all internet usage tracked and all emails monitored, can anyone seriously say they are hiding from anything?  If someone can, I'd say congratulations to those few, but is that a significant enough group of people to make a difference?

Who hides? People who are doing something wrong. Unfortunately that's public perception. Antifa covers their face. We should not.

I'd say this:

1. Still prep to go off grid. Plan to have capabilities without the need for infrastructure, because all of that can be cut-off. Remember to continue to train your unit in the use of these methods. Train to disappear, because yes, "one day".

2. Get out there and proudly display your unit. Publicly announce who you are, do things for the community, food drives, clothing drives, adopt a highway, habitat for humanity.  Volunteer.  Make it a requirement that every quarter your unit will volunteer their time for a charitable cause.  We can change public perception one at a time, and show them who we really are.

Well, as a side note, the FBI knows, and it has been reported many times and in different media forms, that there are MANY muslim training camps all over the United States.  These people are speaking radically about forcing sharia law on Americans and training with weapons. There is an actual map one can Google that will show you the U.S and which towns and cities these camps are in. When FBI officials and local officials are asked why are they being allowed to do such, all of the officials say that they are doing nothing illegal.  Yet, when there is a Waco, Ruby Ridge or a LeVoy Finicum, then there is an issue.

We were approached by someone about attending an anti-sharia law rally in Houston, near the San Jacinto Monument. This person told us that violent Islamists were likely to be there and we should go show our support for the US Constitution which is directly contradictory to the Koran and Sharia Law. Our militia did not officially attend, however a few of our members decided to attend on their own accord.  They showed in street clothes, offered water, aid to both sides of the argument, while remaining in contact with the unit should shit pop off. Nothing came of it... until...

We found out a couple of days ago, that the person who was trying to whip us up to go fight Muslims was associated with the FBI.

This is one of the reasons why we particularly don't attend protests, rallies or much else in unit form.  

SHAME on the FBI for trying to start conflict. Funneling opposing groups together to instigate violence. People get hurt and you are behind it in many cases. YOU know who you are. How can you live with yourself?

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Joey Adair said:

We were approached by someone about attending an anti-sharia law rally in Houston, near the San Jacinto Monument. This person told us that violent Islamists were likely to be there and we should go show our support for the US Constitution which is directly contradictory to the Koran and Sharia Law. Our militia did not officially attend, however a few of our members decided to attend on their own accord.  They showed in street clothes, offered water, aid to both sides of the argument, while remaining in contact with the unit should shit pop off. Nothing came of it... until...

We found out a couple of days ago, that the person who was trying to whip us up to go fight Muslims was associated with the FBI.

This is one of the reasons why we particularly don't attend protests, rallies or much else in unit form.  

SHAME on the FBI for trying to start conflict. Funneling opposing groups together to instigate violence. People get hurt and you are behind it in many cases. YOU know who you are. How can you live with yourself?

Wow, very good story to hear.  Shame on them and thank you for reporting that info.