Sign in to follow this  
News Feeds

What You Need to Know About Mountain House + Giveaway

What-You-Need-to-Know-About-Mountain-House-BDS-250x250.jpg

A few months ago, Mountain House sponsored a freeze dried food giveaway and the giveaway question asked you to submit a question to Mountain House. Today, Mountain House is back to answer a number of your questions, and, no surprise, offer another giveaway to Backdoor Survival readers.

This time around, the giveaway will be for their “Just In Case 4 Day Emergency Food Kit“.

Before we get started, though, I want to share with you two of their newest products: Chicken and Dumplings with Vegetables and Cheesecake bites.

What-You-Need-to-Know-About-Mountain-House-BDS.jpg

Can Chicken and Dumplings be Freeze Dried?

To be honest, when I received the pouches of chicken and dumplings, I had my doubts. I just could not imagine how reconstituting with water would result in an old fashioned, chicken and dumpling experience. But it did. It was delicious albeit more in a chicken pot pie type of way.

Each pouch holds 2 one cup servings. You already know that to me, that is meaningless. What really counts is the calories. The entire pouch is 610 calories so assuming that is all you will be eating while in emergency survival mode, this could be construed as 1 large serving.

After making that calculation, I prepared both pouches by adding 3 cups of water that I boiled on my Solo Stove (more about that next week ** hint hint wink wink **). In hindsight, I forgot that most meal pouches call for too much water and I should have cut back a little. That said, we devoured our meal even though it turned out to be a lot of food.

MH-Package-Ingredients.jpg

Always try to check the nutritional value before making a purchase. Note that this pouch contains a total of 30 grams of protein.

We added a green salad and to round things off, and for dessert, tried the cheesecake bites which are eaten out of hand, Open the pouch and eat; no cooking required. The cheesecake bites look like little cookie-cubes and, to me, taste like Lorna Doone shortbread cookies. Does anyone remember those?

Okay, enough about my gastronomic adventures. Kenny Larson is here to answer your questions. Be sure to check in below for the giveaway.

Mountain House Responds to Questions from Backdoor Survival Readers

How does the cooking-freeze-drying process affect the vitamin and nutritional content of your food?

Our cooking process is the same as what you do at home, granted our cook pot is a bit bigger
:)

The freeze drying process has negligible, if any, effect on the nutritional content. Compare this to other dehydration methods, often used in other popular dry-mix survival meals, that can have significant effect on overall nutritional content.

I’ve never seen freeze-dried food in a can, only in pouches. Is the quality better, worse or the same in a can?

Cans provide a sturdier structure than pouches. The primary benefit is greater pest and environmental protection and potentially longer shelf-life.

While I can’t speak for other brands, foods in Mountain House cans are identical quality to the foods in our pouches. That is to say, pretty darn tasty!

Can I rehydrate Mountain House foods with tap water? What if boiling water is not available?

Yes you can but it will take longer for the food to hydrate in cold water. Beyond the fact that hot food generally tastes better, the heat energy in boiling water helps drive water deep into the dried food for maximum hydration in the shortest period of time.

How would your freeze-dried foods hold up in extreme temperature fluctuations (such as a vehicle or garage). Where I live it is well below zero in the winter and gets into the 100’s in the summer?

Extreme temperature fluctuations have the potential to shorten shelf life of all foods (including those other than survival food) depending on other environmental factors like humidity.

That being said, our products are the most rigorously tested in the market. We use real-world conditions and not extrapolations from accelerated lab-testing. While I can’t speak for other brands, we stand by our stated shelf life. The technical expertise and experience that goes into making Mountain House is the same as what goes into meals we make for the United States Special Forces.

MH-MREs.jpg

MREs prepared and packed for the US Military

Similarly, can Mountain House take the extreme cold or will it degrade the product?

There is no need to worry about extreme cold. Our meals regularly feed people on expeditions in Antarctica, the Himalayas, the Andes and everywhere in between. Our meals are made with extreme expeditions in mind. Due to the proprietary techniques and technology we use, they have the longest proven shelf life of any freeze dried survival meal on the market.

What are some of the new meals you have available? How often do you offer new ones? Do any get discontinued and why?

For the past few years, we’ve launched new meals at the beginning of the year. This year, we launched
and Homestyle Chicken Noodle Casserole.

Due to the nature of how brick & mortar retailers stock their shelves, they may or may not be available in your area. However, you can find
and you can always find our entire offering on

If you would like to help us decide what meals to make in the future, we encourage you to like our
and join our Email list. We always go to our fans first to help decide what meals to cook-up next.

The Giveaway

This giveaway is for a Mountain House Just In Case 4 Day Emergency Food Kit. It includes 12 pouches totaling 28 servings calculated at 1,650 calories per day. (You should know by now that it is total calories that count!)

Breakfast Skillet 2x — Hash browns and scrambled eggs mixed with pork sausage, peppers & onions. Eat out of the pouch or make a wrap with a tortilla.

Granola with Milk & Blueberries 2x — Perfect with hot or cold water, our Granola and Blueberries has fueled everyone from United States Special Forces to explorers on Antarctic expeditions, and everywhere in between. Made with crunchy sweet granola with real blueberries and milk. Prepared hot or cold, it is a great way to start any day.

Beef Stew 2x — Made with tender dices of all natural beef, potatoes, peas, and carrots. A long-time Mountain House classic.

Lasagna with Meat Sauce 2x —Pasta with cheese in a rich tomato meat sauce. A favorite Italian style entrée.

Noodles & Chicken 2x — A rich and creamy sauce with pasta, red peppers, and pieces of real chicken meat.

Italian Style Pepper Steak with Rice & Tomatoes 2x — Tender cuts of steak with red, green and yellow bell peppers, onions and tomatoes with long grain rice.

a Rafflecopter giveaway

The deadline is 6:00 PM Pacific next Tuesday with the winner notified by email and announced on the Rafflecopter in the article. Please note that the winner must claim their prize within 48 hours or an alternate will be selected.

Note: Due to Customs requirements, this giveaway is only open to residents of the United States.

The Final Word

Mountain House is one of my preferred brands when it comes to meal pouches. I like the taste and the company, and the fact that they are totally focused on customer satisfaction.

Did you know you can even try a meal pouch for free? Go to www.freemountainhouse.com and download the rebate form. Purchase a meal pouch on Amazon, Emergency Essentials, or at a local outdoor retailer and get a refund up to $11. It is as easy as that.

I want to also mention that Emergency Essentials is a top distributor of Mountain House and has all MH products on sale this month at a deep discount. Putting in a plug, you might want to check them out.

Good luck in the giveaway!

Enjoy your next adventure through common sense and thoughtful preparation!

Gaye

If you enjoyed this article, consider subscribing to email updates. When you do, you will receive a free, downloadable copy of my e-Book, The Emergency Food Buyer’s Guide.

Emergency-Food-Buyers-Guide-2016-02-26r-400x400.jpg

You can also vote for Backdoor Survival daily at Top Prepper Websites!

Related Articles:

Spotlight: 4-Day Just-in-Case Emergency Food Supply

This kit includes 12 pouches with enough food to get you buy for 4 days. Mix and match with the 3 or 5 day kits to create the desired number of days. Easily stacked and stored, these kits are ideal for stashing under furniture, in closets, and in areas where space is at a premium. Also available at

Bargain Bin: Below you will find links to the items related to today’s article.

Mountain House on Amazon: Amazon carriers a large selection of Mountain House and many products include free prime shipping.

Mountain House at Emergency Essentials: Often time you will find the best pricing at Emergency Essentials. This is especially true in the month of March during their annual Mountain House Sale.

Solo Stove Lite: This is the stove I used for boiling the water for my Mountain House meal. Start to finish, it took about 12 minutes to boil once my fire was going. I used desert twigs and dryer lint as a starter. Worked great. I now own 4 solo stoves, including the large Solo Stove Campfire.

Solo Stove 900: And this is the pot I used. What I like about it is that the Solo Stove nests comfortably inside the pot for storage. Also available as a kit.

2 Four-Quart Mixing Bowls: I chose to empty the pouches into a bowl and pour the boiling water into the bowl for mixing. Not normally a prepping item, these bowls are fantastic. I use them to mix things up, as a tub for cleaning dishes and utensils, and even for hand laundry. The best part is the price; 2 for $9.99 as of this writing.

LifeStraw Personal Water Filterir?t=continmoti-20&l=as2&o=1&a=B006QF3TW4: The LifeStraw is considered the most advanced, compact, ultra light personal water filter available. It contains no chemicals or iodinated resin, no batteries and no moving parts to break or wear out. It weighs only 2 oz. making it perfect for the prepper. For more information, see my LifeStraw review.

~~~~~~~~~~

For over 25 years Emergency Essentials has been providing the highest quality preparedness products at great prices. Plus, each month they feature sales that quite honestly are fantastic.

show?id=9PGNDhpmhqI&bids=417574.10001628&type=4&subid=0show?id=9PGNDhpmhqI&bids=417574.10001483&type=4&subid=0728x90march2016.jpgshow?id=9PGNDhpmhqI&bids=417574.10001641&type=4&subid=0

~~~~~

Need something from Amazon (and who doesn’t)?

I earn a small commission from purchases made when you begin your Amazon shopping experience here. You still get great Amazon service and the price is the same, no matter what.

Amazon has a feature called Shop Amazon - Most Wished For Items. This is an easy tool for finding products that people are ‘wishing” for and in this way you know what the top products are. All you need to do is select the category from the left hand side of the screen.

Help support Backdoor Survival. Purchases earn a small commission and for that I thank you!

~~~~~

Are You Interested in Essential Oils?

20-All-Purpose-Remedies-Using-Essential-Oils.jpg

The post What You Need to Know About Mountain House + Giveaway by Gaye Levy first appeared on Backdoor Survival.

Continue reading...