fixer

My Militia vs Social Media

This month, the team have been discussing the role of My Militia in the social media age.

The perspective we have shared among the staff follows.....

Aside from you owning your data completely with no "Big Brother" to worry about, the main advantage to building your militia, (Recruitment, Events, Communication and Management etc...) on the My Militia platform is allowing yourself and your members to become relatively anonymous.

With social media (like Facebook), it only takes a few clicks to discover more about you. It's easy to look at your political leanings, which area you live in, what your favorite films are and so on. Next thing you know people are looking at your family photos and private things that more than likely shouldn't be shared so openly or freely.

All that information comes with you when you join a community like Facebook whether you like it or not.

With My Militia, you can create your own personality unique to us. You don't need to reveal your real name, or photo. Try that on Facebook and you will be asked to prove who you are.

My Militia puts the privacy back in your hands.

We really like that. No one will be more responsible with your digital footprint than you are.

We will be digging into this in more depth this month. We came across some fantastic research which supports this and has some lovely quotes such as "Facebook is being alone, together and My Militia is being together, together."

I'll leave you with that thought. There is nothing Facebook can do (that matters) that we can't do better. That's how we feel, why we remain independent and that is why we are here. for you.

https://www.mymilitia.com

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Absolutely right. This platform provides the separation from "social media" platforms that more than ever, gives militia, in all of its phases, privacy.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I was online when it was all text and news groups were the social media, I do not feel any more connected today then I did then. Just words on a page. We need more face to face. When the SHTF we will not know each other. I am trying to help get my community to work together for preparedness and no one wants to.  So I do not see how any social media helps.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Yes but how do I get our entire militia to convert?  I have put many posts up on our unit FB page, and could only get around 10%.  I am trying because I totally agree.

As my units PAO, I have spearheaded the attempt to make the conversion.

Suggestion:

IF MM had an app that could send notifications, people would be notified of activity in their militia on MM.  Right now, they basically have to check their email to see updates, or have proactively come to MM to see notifications.

It could start as a simple secure messaging app alternative to FB for militias and grow from there into a full featured app.

Edited by Joey Adair
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Joey Adair said:

Yes but how do I get our entire militia to convert?  I have put many posts up on our unit FB page, and could only get around 10%.  I am trying because I totally agree.

As my units PAO, I have spearheaded the attempt to make the conversion.

Suggestion:

IF MM had an app that could send notifications, people would be notified of activity in their militia on MM.  Right now, they basically have to check their email to see updates, or have proactively come to MM to see notifications.

It could start as a simple secure messaging app alternative to FB for militias and grow from there into a full featured app.

love this feedback thank you!

and if you start a group here the leader can send an instant private message to all their members all they need to do is have the notification set to alert them and done

• Thanks 1

On 9/30/2018 at 12:43 PM, Spiritwomyn said:

I was online when it was all text and news groups were the social media, I do not feel any more connected today then I did then. Just words on a page. We need more face to face. When the SHTF we will not know each other. I am trying to help get my community to work together for preparedness and no one wants to.  So I do not see how any social media helps.

You are exactly right. I joined this site thinking it would facilitate meeting, in person, other like-minded people. I have joined other conservative, pro-2A, pro-prepper, pro-Christian, pro-yada yada sites as well, and the results are the same. The majority of content is posted by moderators, not members, its virtually impossible to engage in real dialog when threads are easily derailed by nuisance posts, and when actual meet-ups are organized, they are not attended. I'm guilty of backing out of meet-ups myself, for fear that the people I thought I "knew" from social media might be crazy lunatics in real life, lol. So I feel you pain, @Spiritwomyn. We DO need to get off the interwebs and get face to face, hands in the dirt READY, but forums like this seem to be ineffective in cashing out. I know some here will say that's BS and maybe some have had success with meeting groups and becoming involved, but I would say that's the very rare exception, not the norm.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A lot of what you say is true, Which is why we recently banned 2 of the sites top posters because the site was taking a turn we didn't want and after many many MANY warnings and temporary timeouts they continued to bulldog the board in a negative fashion.

We continue to improvise, adapt and overcome. Our focus is on continuous improvement

We just changed the welcome message and are promoting the site slightly different, here is the most recent ad we are running 

mmsept.jpg.4832cd15c1c15cd4f82dfc814e62887d.jpg

We want militias to use this site as a tool to manage their units, we have calendars and alerts and much more to help them. Pulling them away from facebook is not easy so we have to offer features they cannot get on facebook.

Many times people show up here saying they can't find a unit, who says you can't start one? DO IT and we will do everything in our power to send people your way and give you the tools you need to stay organized and give you the positive exposure needed to become and stay relevant.

🍺

• Like 1

As a state C.O., I can say that there is a disconnect with regard to meeting the folks who are III% . In person, many fell, and perhaps rightly so, that people may not be who they claim to be. The result is a hesitation or a refusal to meet . Some feel the feds are watching, so they stay hidden. I can see why they say and do this. In the end, I have sent group invites to sites like MeWe and encrypted comms on Signal with few takers. If we needed to organize into a unit tomirrow, it wouldn't happen. I ask all like minded patriots to organize! I don't care if it is in small fire teams. If I don't know your face, how can I even trust who you are. 

The fact of the matter is that government hackers can get any information they want from any website that they want. We're not going to be able to prevent our unit data from being monitored. However I would still like to move all of our operations to my militia for the sole fact that Facebook is not very friendly 2 constitutionalists or libertarian and conservative users. If we can get all of our operations on a channel that's dedicated for the sole purpose of organization and announcements, at least we can avoid the biases of companies and not be beholden to them.

One of the things that we do when talkin to new members is we will have electronic communications with them prior to a face-to-face meeting. They are not invited to any official unit functions until they go through a background check and are interviewed by command and a police officer. It may be a cumbersome step and turn people away, but the types of people that are turned away from that are exactly who we don't want in the unit anyway. This has worked wonders in keeping the crazies out.

Obviously we don't want any feds spying on us in our unit, but in reality we have nothing to hide, we're doing everything 100% legally. We don't allow extremists, extremist point of view, illegal weapons, drugs, explosives, or anything of the like. So if a Fed wanted to infiltrate our unit they would have nothing to find.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

well I am not concerned with background checks and am very open to meeting up. The one thing I will not do is put my face online.

• Like 2

Alot of people are scared to meet face to face or publicly recognizing that they are part of the militia cause their name might go on a list. If your militia is constitutional and not breaking any laws then there should be no worry. It is a constitutional right. I have not had a problem buying weapons or ammo. I am a law abiding citizen and have no record. There are bigger fish the government is worried about.  That's just my opinion. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's an excellent platform if more exclusive to paramilitary subject matter. There are more and more alt tech sites around though if you want to read and post other things.  Gab, Minds, Voat and now Freezoxee  ( https://friends.freezoxee.com ) Minds is a pretty good platform you can make long posts even post articles or stories you've written. They're all free speech sites so you'll see stuff you don't like such as Nazi pages etc but that only really bothers snowflakes, everyone else just ignores it or mutes or blocks the site or person if they don't want to see that stuff. 

• Like 1

I'm still trying to find people to meet up with I welcome a background check I've nothing to hide. any help would be appreciated

• Like 1

Get some friends and start a fire team that also prep...align yourself with a local patriot group for political things such as protest and 2a...if the first question that a group asked you is for a background and are you a pedophile it might not be what you want a ccw should work just fine it proves your a good enough "legally"...but felon shouldnt be deterred from militia work...hell they can vote why wouldnt they be aloud in a militia...if i was you i wouldnt submit to a background check its weird and one extra step for no reason   biuld your militia alliances with trust...verifying is easy with a ccw.  

Good point on the ccw still trying to find people around me 

On 11/5/2018 at 9:17 AM, Ripcannon said:

Get some friends and start a fire team that also prep...align yourself with a local patriot group for political things such as protest and 2a...if the first question that a group asked you is for a background and are you a pedophile it might not be what you want a ccw should work just fine it proves your a good enough "legally"...but felon shouldnt be deterred from militia work...hell they can vote why wouldnt they be aloud in a militia...if i was you i wouldnt submit to a background check its weird and one extra step for no reason   biuld your militia alliances with trust...verifying is easy with a ccw.  

• Like 2

I have tried here but either they are not here or fear connections. I have been background checked when I worked for the Sheriffs Office.  Feel very alone.

• Like 1

Are you anywhere near iuka Mississippi lol every one talks about standing up and be ready it's kinda hard to do that when they are to afraid to get out from behind their keyboards

• Like 2

No sorry Zombie Bob I live in cold as fuck Montana. LOL I am an action oriented person, I run toward danger, not from it, it is a family thing. 

My family is the same way lol just none of them are close by.good luck and keep warm lol it's in the mid 60s here ...2 day's ago we had snow

My search history is set to delete upon exit.  What if you don't have a computer?  Is everyone required to get and use a computer now to own a gun?  Things like this are precisely why I use a throwaway email with none of my personal information on the account, I am never logged into it while I am browsing the net and I use a call sign on here and other such site.  

• Like 2

I heard about this crap..how do they know witch Facebook page is who's I mean how many Jon Smith's are there in the world and if you don't have one ?or if you have more than one? I have a couple of old pages I forgot the password to ... seems to be a nother BS scheme to get our guns,... I'll stop there...... yeah I'll stop there

• Like 1