Tactical-Life

Confirmed: US Army Ditching 5.56mm for 6.8mm in New Weapon Systems

On 2/20/2019 at 9:33 AM, Dav Harzin said:

I saw somewhere a 25-45...i cant think of it more but I remember it had good ballistics.

I built a 25-45 AR-15 when the barrels came out by the Sharps Rifle company. It is my favorite deer hunting round and I have killed several deer with it! It is a 223/5.56 case necked up to a 25 caliber bullet! All is needed to change out on the AR-15/M-4 rifles is the barrel! Bolt and magazines are the same! A very flat shooting, a deadly accurate round that shoots accurate to 600 yards.

3 hours ago, BuryTheHatchet said:

I wonder what third world country is going to get all the "outdated" M4s and M249s, as well as all the stockpiled ammo? I'm still miffed on B-O dumping all those Garands into the Pacific.

Probably not too many NATO countries as the US will want them to jump onto the 6.8mm band wagon.  They will probably go to the future Venezuela Conservative People's Army.   

"In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot.” ― Mark Twain

"I prefer dangerous FREEDOM over peaceful SLAVERY" -Thomas Jefferson

"Si vis pacem para bellum" - Every wise warrior there ever was.

lfr.jpg.91d35fb0dbad2fa6e5cc5b2544ce55d5.jpg

lfr.jpg

On 10/20/2018 at 4:08 AM, John Last said:

Hmmm...  What about the 1.5 BILLION rounds the government bought for police, homeland security  etc., a few years ago?  Looks like ammo prices will drop some more!!  Yippee!!! 

I doubt that police or DHS will switch anytime soon. Probably the opposite if there's a large surplus of 5.56 ammo and rifles. There's also a good possibility that the other branches won't switch right away if at all, as can be seen with the shotguns. 

It'll be interesting to see if they carry through with it. It may end up becoming another XM8. 

Edited by Upstate Cowboy

Armys New 6.8mm Cartridge Misses the Boat

"In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot.” ― Mark Twain

lfr.jpg

Now, I DO feel old ...

However, I do use a Mosin-Nagant, with the ancient  7.62mmx54r round.  I use Winchester-Western ammo - made in the USA. Ballistics test prove that it is quite accurate out to 1000 yards, and is still moving at 1750 fps.  By knowing your weapon, an excellent marksman ... ahem, like me, ahem ... can hit a human-sized target at ranges up to 2000 yards - 1.18 miles.  The ballistics on this ammo are equivalent in performance to the LATEST 30-06 rounds.  As the video shows, there are probably trillions of 7.62 NATO rounds, out there.  Also, remember the line from the video - only one manufacturer will benefit from this change to the 6.8mm.

Brothers (and sisters), I'm 70 years old, and I can still carry a full load of ammo for my Mosin, which I define as 11 x 10-round removable magazines.  And you can bet you bottom dollar that ... if push comes to shove ... I'll carry enough spare ammo to reload all eleven of those magazines.  Remember, this ammo was also used in the Russian PPK machine gun.  It's ballistics are excellent.  And what do you want to bet that the casings for the 6.8 WON'T be reloadable?

Meet the three 6.8mm bids competing to replace the M-16

lfr.jpg

Has anyone considered that they might be pushing the switch to 6.8 because they think a war is coming and that the most common rifle is chambered in 5.56? I think it might be because they realize using a gun with a caliber that the average guerrilla would already have liberal access to is more dangerous than just switching to take away our advantage. What are your thoughts?

I don't think so either.  By the time they have them all switched out the 2nd Civil War would have already taken place and been over.  Plus the next rifle I get will be in 6.8 SPC so I'll already have it anyway.  :D At least until I lose it in a tragic boating accident that is...  ?

lfr.jpg

On 11/10/2019 at 1:45 PM, Let_Freedom_Ring said:

Armys New 6.8mm Cartridge Misses the Boat

Thanks for sharing that video link

I had 1 viewer on youtube tell me it was clickbait LOL

"Ever since I arrived to a state of manhood...I have felt a sincere passion for liberty...so that the first...attempt at Lexington, to enslave America, thoroughly electrified my mind, and fully determined me to take part with my country."   Ethan Allen 1779

31 minutes ago, VTConcernedCitizen said:

Thanks for sharing that video link

I had 1 viewer on youtube tell me it was clickbait LOL

I'm a subscriber.  ?

lfr.jpg

On 12/8/2019 at 10:13 PM, Let_Freedom_Ring said:

I'm a subscriber.  ?

Awesome !!!!!!!

"Ever since I arrived to a state of manhood...I have felt a sincere passion for liberty...so that the first...attempt at Lexington, to enslave America, thoroughly electrified my mind, and fully determined me to take part with my country."   Ethan Allen 1779

From what I've seen, none of the bids use the 6.8 SPC cartidge--they just use 6.8 mm projectiles. I wouldn't run out and grab a 6.8 SPC AR expecting there to be a flood of ammo once the Army gets around to making up its mind, but I do recommend the 6.8 SPC. I built one a few years ago that I use for hog hunting, and it's been great. :)

20 hours ago, fallingcedars said:

From what I've seen, none of the bids use the 6.8 SPC cartidge--they just use 6.8 mm projectiles. I wouldn't run out and grab a 6.8 SPC AR expecting there to be a flood of ammo once the Army gets around to making up its mind, but I do recommend the 6.8 SPC. I built one a few years ago that I use for hog hunting, and it's been great. :)

I agree don't speculate, wait until changes are made and become the norm.

lfr.jpg

6.5 Grendel vs. 6.5 Creedmoor vs. 6.8 SPC – Compared & Rated

https://www.gunmann.com/65-grendel-vs-65-creedmoor-vs-68-spc/

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Not So Special: A Critical View Of The 6.8mm SPC

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/04/04/not-so-special-a-critical-view-of-the-6-8mm-spc/

image.png

As in most things military, the new military choice of the 6.8 SPC round is a compromise between ballistics, terminal energy performance and weight allowing the most ammo able to be carried with a slightly improved round.  

lfr.jpg

But Why: Inside the Army's NEW 6.8mm Squad Weapon (Marine Reacts)

lfr.jpg