Ripcannon

sidearms and back-ups

do you run a common caliber for your secondary in your militia. We don't...friggin got a guy with a .357 sig and another guy with a 9mm revolver but that's another story...im trying to get everyone to run 9 nd 10mm but no success yet...is this a issue...so far we had 2 problems .357 sig guy don't carry enough ammo he runs a 9 rd 1911 its a damn nice piece as well...and I got a guy running a 7 shot9mm revolver and swearing by it any friendly advice...this is a repetitive thought if I just go buy a bunch of cheap P.O.S's like  Remington's 1911 atleast well be uniform and compatible and have double stack mags my luck someone will get a conversion kit to .22lr...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ripcannon said:

do you run a common caliber for your secondary in your militia. We don't...friggin got a guy with a .357 sig and another guy with a 9mm revolver but that's another story...im trying to get everyone to run 9 nd 10mm but no success yet...is this a issue...so far we had 2 problems .357 sig guy don't carry enough ammo he runs a 9 rd 1911 its a damn nice piece as well...and I got a guy running a 7 shot9mm revolver and swearing by it any friendly advice...this is a repetitive thought if I just go buy a bunch of cheap P.O.S's like  Remington's 1911 atleast well be uniform and compatible and have double stack mags my luck someone will get a conversion kit to .22lr...

For many years I ran an AK (7.62x39).  I felt then, and still do (but no hands-on with new ARs) that the AK was a more reliable platform, with a better combat cartridge than the AR-15.  With that said, I was eventually convinced that if SHTF, logistics would dictate that the militia, or stray cats like many of us, would be more likely to find .223 ammo than 7.62x39.  I have finally been persuaded that an AR, is the most practical long arm to have, even if it isn't the "best" weapon.  I made that decision after 50 years, and just in time to see the US Army adopt a new 6.8mm cartridge!!

Now, as for pistols and to your question, I'd go with 9mm for the same reason: namely that it will be easier to find than 10mm, .357 or .45 ammo, should a person have to rely on "external" sources for re-supply.  If you run anything other than "government issue (GI)" ammo, you'll need to hump all you will need, with little hope of finding any extra along the way.  If you have multiple calibers in your unit, you won't be able "divvy-up" in a tough spot.  Just my two cents on the matter.

Don't know about .357 or 10mm, but the .45 is heavy and slow with good knock-down power (my favorite).  9mm (my choice) is high velocity, good penetration but not as much damage to tissue as the .45  Choosing the right ammo can increase the lethality of your weapon.  That's all I know.

Edited by John Last
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

People will own what they personally like but for a Militia it's good to try to get everyone to own at least one 9mm NATO handgun and one NATO rifle caliber be it 5.56 or 7.62.  A good example scenario to help achieve this is, if you are wounded and lose your weapon in battle, it would be better if other members of your group would at least be able to use the ammo you are carrying on you to help protect you.  A second good argument for this is the ability to resupply by scrounging most common ammo and the three NATO calibers are all in the top 10 of availability.  Still there are two things working against achieving this, people that don't have the money to buy a pistol or rifle other than what they already have, and people who are stubborn and refuse to admit to logic of a common ammo among the group and scroungablitly of the most common ammos. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Let_Freedom_Ring said:

least one 9mm NATO handgun and one NATO rifle caliber be it 5.56 or 7.62.  A good example scenario to help achieve this is, if you are wounded and lose your weapon in battle, it would be better if other members of your group would at least be able to use the ammo you are carrying on you to help protect you. 

they might go for that logic...i'll tell you what it was easier when I was self-appointed leader...I got 2,,, that fight logic tooth and nail but they're great ppl they stick to there "guns"(principles) and I gotta respect that (most the time)...we do got a reload shed that's mobile that was my first fix on this problem but its kinda hard to carry a shed with you...so no good solution...thanks fellas I do appreciate the advice I run outta solutions nice to have some ppl to lean on...everybody in the group got ar-15's just they aint all in 5.56 2 are in 6.5 Grendel and ones a really nice ati .410...the funny thing about affordability is im pretty sure we all got 9mm I know we all got 10mm and I know we all got .45's...just certain individuals swear by there round like only .357 sig does enough damage or only a revolver is reliable...I feel like im dealing with the DM with a .22 again.haha  

• Like 1

A third argument for common ammo especially with rifles, if you run out of ammo on the battlefield and you aren't able to resupply with what is around you, you then have an expensive club.  

• Like 1

I think I will invite the crew over the day after thanksgiving ta run and gun that turkey off nd ill bring out my .510  let um think that's my new MBR...maybe I can use there logic against them and then present them with the alternative...again were all friends and family just opinions run wild...I think using some of this will help thank yaw and please add if you think of something.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

Most guys I know, prefer a 9MM.  I still like the .45 and there are some double stacked 1911's out there, but a 9MM usually has a capacity of 13 ( like a Hi Power) up to around 17...to me, that means you have to spend less time reloading.   One of the logistic advantages I see in everybody carrying a 9, is, that everybody is using the same caliber ammo.  Just a thought.  Max

• Like 3