Four Guns:

This post is geared for new members that may not have any or only own 1 or 2 firearms so far and probably working on a limited budget, those just now getting into the Militia and or Prepper mindset.   However, I hope others with experience and knowledge will chime in with their own thoughts, ideas and sage advice too and welcome opposing ideas and philosophies as well as agreement.  This is what I consider the minimal 4 guns for both a Militia and Prepper viewpoint.
  Now from strictly a Militia view, you are most likely only going to be carrying 2 guns on your person, your primary defense center fire rifle and your back up pistol. When tactical and on foot, you can't afford to be weighted down with more firearms than that.   Speaking from a Prepper viewpoint, there are a couple other firearms that would be good to have as a minimum to round out your defensive and survival capabilities kept at your base/home.  I think for an all around good minimalist personal arsenal Militia and Prepper, you need at least four guns.  The order I have laid out I would consider Militia mindset priority but the firearm choices are also what I consider Prepper mindset priority.

1.  The highest priority is having a gun when you need it, carrying it with you on your person as often as possible or at least within close reach.  It should be something that you can conceal to a good degree if you need to.  So your first purchase should be a pistol if you don't already have one.  It should be a pistol that you feel comfortable enough carrying most of the time in most daily situations.  If you are going to only have one pistol it should be some kind of a 9 mm automatic as 9 mm is currently the most prevalent ammo available in the world including the US.  If all you have is a pistol when the SHTF, then you can use it to sneak up on the enemy and take their center fire rifle away from them which is the 2nd purchase in priority on my list.  

2.  The next purchase should be some type of semi-automatic center fire rifle that accepts 20 round magazines or greater.  This will give you the ability to discharge your civil Militia duties and obligations as well as self defense and hunting most game if need be.  I'm not going to get into caliber on this one, that's been well discussed in several other threads already.  I will say though that whatever caliber you get, you can never have enough ammo or magazines on hand so buy buy buy plenty of each.

The next two choices are more geared for Prepper and home defense mindset.

3.  The next firearm of importance if you don't already own one is a .22 LR rim fire rifle.  .22 LR is among the most plentiful and cheapest ammunition available.  More game is taken every year with .22 LR in the US than any other caliber.   .22 LR is also about the quietest caliber to use for hunting, especially if you are running a suppressor on it.  

4.  Last but not least, the venerable 12 gauge shotgun.  The 12 gauge is very versatile in defensive and hunting uses and good for close quarters combat.  I like the Mossberg 500 combo as it comes with a long shot barrel with interchangeable screw in chokes, and an  interchangeable shorter rifled slug barrel.  Good quality yet at a lower range price point.  You can still fire shot through the shorter slug barrel so that is your close combat and home defense set up with it.  It will also carry five 2-3/4" shells in the tubular magazine if not plugged.  You can also fire 3" magnum shells through this model making it one of the most versatile all around shotguns possible.  

**If you are under 21 and not able to carry a pistol yet, then switch #1 pistol to #4 and bump everything else up.**

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • 'Merica 1

One thing i try to remember is 22lr is the Apocolypse ammo. So to me a tube fed semi-auto like a Marlin 60 is a must-have.

634519_ts.thumb.jpg.04818e3b5818670a5283c53f1b1ef342.jpg

I much prefer the tube for reloading and capacity. If you are a fan of magazine fed buy a Ruger 10/22

top.thumb.jpg.2e7595aac1f5e1701449f5454eb3512a.jpg

and throw the stock mags in the trash and buy the BX-25

p-711-bx_25_ruger_magazine-tfb.jpg.661a8d163ccf871e89bfc3b03d28770f.jpg

they are a must own accessory. I much prefer this platform over an AR style 22 builds for reliability and accuracy if you are leaning to the "tactical side" the Ruger ITAC

1283.jpg.4cc1f1a13744e32826802cbf244a12e3.jpg

gives you the Tactical ability without sacrificing the advantages of a standard rifle 

• Like 3

I like them bx 25s my son runs the 10/22 well...the best .22 is a savage model 64 just say my fact.haha...I totally agree...I woulda said a rifle first because of age but you covered that great post bro.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Black Friday had good specials on them... the 10/22 was $199, the Savage 64 at $125, and Marlin 60 was $165. All are great guns. I lean towards the 10/22, as I like the Ruger American Rimfire bolt action, and the mags interchange.

Pawn shops are a great place to find $75 to $100 specials on those rifles mentioned above.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have become selective with my weapons and tried to make sure that my main go-to rifles and pistols were in the calibers of military and NATO. That did mean selling a few nicer rifles in other calibers, as when SHTF, there simply is no room and time for gathering up multiple weapons, the myriad of spare parts, many ammo types, and then hauling them away. It's a commitment to a mindset of setting yourself up for better odds of survival and militia function. If you have no weapons, make sure your first one is along the lines of NATO calibers. Some groups set a weapon standard (like ARs and Glocks) as the weapons needed for training. Due to current market saturation and political climate, getting one of those firearms should be quite affordable at the present time. 

Anytime you are setting up one of your main weapons, make sure you try out all your mags with a variety of ammo. Bad mags and bad/out-of-spec ammo does happen. If a firearm is found to be picky for any reason, consider getting it modified or find a different one. Your weapons should be able to be handed off to a buddy for use without any special treatment needed to get it to shoot or change mags. Don't be "that guy" that shows up to conduct training with a rifle which is completely unreliable. Granted, finding out those issues sooner than later is always better, but shooting/moving/communicating requires skills that cannot be learned and maintained in just one day a year.

I would dare to say the most used caliber following a SHTF scenario with long term survival outlook is going to be 22LR...you can carry a bunch of it, hunt with it proficiently (poachers kill elephants with the 22LR), and the weapons can be compact (or be modified to be compact).

My main setup for group training...

AR15 in 5.56 (and have a spare rifle, or complete spare parts setup)

Glock 9mm pistol (17 or 19 models, lots of interchangeable mags and parts along the whole glock lineup)

Survivalist setup...

AR10 in 7.62 (and in a survival environment, you can shoot 308 sized and smaller variants out of it, like 7mm-08 and 243)

22LR pistol, suppressed

One can add whatever else suits their fancy, but being a minimalist means you aren't carrying around a loaded cache of weapons.

• Like 1
  • 'Merica 1

2 hours ago, fixer said:

One thing i try to remember is 22lr is the Apocolypse ammo. So to me a tube fed semi-auto like a Marlin 60 is a must-have.

634519_ts.thumb.jpg.04818e3b5818670a5283c53f1b1ef342.jpg

I much prefer the tube for reloading and capacity. If you are a fan of magazine fed buy a Ruger 10/22

top.thumb.jpg.2e7595aac1f5e1701449f5454eb3512a.jpg

and throw the stock mags in the trash and buy the BX-25

p-711-bx_25_ruger_magazine-tfb.jpg.661a8d163ccf871e89bfc3b03d28770f.jpg

they are a must own accessory. I much prefer this platform over an AR style 22 builds for reliability and accuracy if you are leaning to the "tactical side" the Ruger ITAC

1283.jpg.4cc1f1a13744e32826802cbf244a12e3.jpg

gives you the Tactical ability without sacrificing the advantages of a standard rifle 

I went with the Marlin tubular magazine semi-auto also with black nylon stock.

3 hours ago, Let_Freedom_Ring said:

I went with the Marlin tubular magazine semi-auto also with black nylon stock.

Edited by John Last
  • Like 2

On 11/25/2018 at 12:43 AM, BuryTheHatchet said:

I have become selective with my weapons and tried to make sure that my main go-to rifles and pistols were in the calibers of military and NATO. That did mean selling a few nicer rifles in other calibers, as when SHTF, there simply is no room and time for gathering up multiple weapons, the myriad of spare parts, many ammo types, and then hauling them away. It's a commitment to a mindset of setting yourself up for better odds of survival and militia function. If you have no weapons, make sure your first one is along the lines of NATO calibers. Some groups set a weapon standard (like ARs and Glocks) as the weapons needed for training. Due to current market saturation and political climate, getting one of those firearms should be quite affordable at the present time. 

Anytime you are setting up one of your main weapons, make sure you try out all your mags with a variety of ammo. Bad mags and bad/out-of-spec ammo does happen. If a firearm is found to be picky for any reason, consider getting it modified or find a different one. Your weapons should be able to be handed off to a buddy for use without any special treatment needed to get it to shoot or change mags. Don't be "that guy" that shows up to conduct training with a rifle which is completely unreliable. Granted, finding out those issues sooner than later is always better, but shooting/moving/communicating requires skills that cannot be learned and maintained in just one day a year.

I would dare to say the most used caliber following a SHTF scenario with long term survival outlook is going to be 22LR...you can carry a bunch of it, hunt with it proficiently (poachers kill elephants with the 22LR), and the weapons can be compact (or be modified to be compact).

My main setup for group training...

AR15 in 5.56 (and have a spare rifle, or complete spare parts setup)

Glock 9mm pistol (17 or 19 models, lots of interchangeable mags and parts along the whole glock lineup)

Survivalist setup...

AR10 in 7.62 (and in a survival environment, you can shoot 308 sized and smaller variants out of it, like 7mm-08 and 243)

22LR pistol, suppressed

One can add whatever else suits their fancy, but being a minimalist means you aren't carrying around a loaded cache of weapons.

I highly agree, most of my pistols are 9mm.  Center fire rifles are 5.56/.223 and 7.62/.308.  NATO Allie forces, our own military and most police forces use it so it will be most plentiful for resupply and scrounging.  There is something to be said for uniformity within units, all 3 calibers are in the top 10 of most plentiful and sold ammunition in the United States.

Now speaking in regards to a very long term SHTF, grid down and not coming back up any time soon if ever scenario, my 5th gun choice would be a good quality revolver with a minimum of 4" barrel or longer.  Why, because revolvers tend to be less prone to breaking and there are no magazines to get lost or wear out.  Remember this is assuming limited budget and not trying to collect as many guns as possible,  not as necessary but still very nice to have.  I would go with the .357 magnum, with it you can fire both .357 Magnum and .38 special / .38 special plus P through it.  All of these calibers are in the top eleven most common calibers sold in the US.  If you have a very small budget and very / more Prepper minded, you might want to make this in a 4" barrel your first gun and only pistol in place of a 9 mm auto.  It's still fairly concealable in a 4" barrel and the ammo availability is still very good.  Some police departments still use .357 Magnum as duty weapons as well as civilian popularity.

What are the most popular calibers in the US?

http://knowledgeglue.com/what-are-the-most-popular-calibers-in-the-us/

• Like 2