LetFreedomRing

FOUR GUNS

my input on 5 guns;

1 - a 9mm "glock" style pistol, lots of brands making them now (canic, shield, PSA, etc.). pistol is 1st in my book because you can carry it every day.

2 - 5.56 AR. tyranny resister. length & optic will vary by location. for tyranny & home defense. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3sLHGduI3w

the following are not in order. it heavily depends on area, mission, & capabilities.

3 - shotgun. variety of loads. good for "bugging in". due to minimal carry ammo, not great for anything far away from the stash.

if youre interested in learning, this is where to begin; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwG-D0HjCBQ&list=PLJUaiRIEduNXoal2_PkBZi0vDCIcEPxUn

4 - long range. I am not versed in this (doesnt apply to me area). however; I know there is a need for it in area.

5 - the .22 is arguably the most useful round, but not a good defense round (save your stories, not interested).

if you want to get into a group that is very blunt on what is crap & what isnt find & follow " Regular Guy Training Youtube fan page" on FB. 

Author of the topic Posted

Gun number 6, would be a .308/7.62 Nato with at least an 18" barrel for longer ranges although an AR15 can go out to 600 yards plus with the right scopes.  My picks overall:

1. 9 mm pistol.

2. AR15 .223/5.56 Nato.

3. 12 gauge or 20 gauge shotgun.  If you have a lady that is recoil shy get her a 20 gauge for homestead defense.

4. .22 LR rifle.

5 .357 magnum revolver 4 " barrel or longer.

6. .308/7.62 Nato rifle with 18" barrel or longer.

Yah, this is more than 4 and you can do everything you need to with the first two listed especially for Militia service and duties, ( if you get at least the first two listed you are golden ) but the rest are nice options to have in prepping / surviving.

Author of the topic Posted
On 12/28/2019 at 10:34 PM, fallingcedars said:

I'm looking around at options since I don't have a .22 rifle yet, and I'm curious about the preference for a tube magazine. Wouldn't something like a BX-25 offer both greater capacity and faster reloading?

Yes but a .22 LR rifle is not going to be a go to war gun or primary self defense weapon of choice.  A .22 LR is more of a survivalist SHTF rifle for hunting with cheap ammo.  You can even take a deer with it if you have good head shot placement.  You aren't likely to need to reload a .22 LR quickly, get an AR15  or AR10 for that role.  A box magazine can get lost and more prone to breakage than a tubular magazine already attached to a .22 LR rifle.  That is why I went with a tubular magazine on my .22 LR rifle. 

Have seen many forums talk about this topic and find that the consensus is the same.  Over the years I have owned and sold more than I can count while keeping the ones I have grown to trust in times of need.  A few that I have are not what I want but am looking to change that.  I agree that the old Marlins are the best .22 LRs. I have a Lakefield which is good but nowhere as good as a Marlin.  The Mossberg 500 is an excellent shotgun but I have come to trust my Remington 870 with interchangeable Deerslayer barrel.  I have a S&W 645 backup as well as a Kel-tec 9mm which I’m not happy with.  I’ll be replacing the Kel-tec with a Glock 19.  My choice of AR has to go to M&P 15 Sport II .223/5.56.  Of all of my weapons, I’d have to say my 9 mm is the one I need to change.  All the rest are good enough for what I need.  The only opinion I have is that you have to be comfortable with your weapons and stay with the ones you trust because it’s your life on the line you don’t want any doubts when the time comes and you need them.  

Edited by Patriot1069

On 2/21/2019 at 10:57 AM, LetFreedomRing said:

You are correct, a center fire rifle and a pistol should be considered the bare minimum needed in both Militia / Prepper circumstances and that could be all that is needed.

"Now from strictly a Militia view, you are most likely only going to be carrying 2 guns on your person, your primary defense center fire rifle and your back up pistol. When tactical and on foot, you can't afford to be weighted down with more firearms than that.   Speaking from a Prepper viewpoint, there are a couple other firearms that would be good to have as a minimum to round out your defensive and survival capabilities kept at your base/home". 

Totally agree.  The other weapons are for those who none of us have talked about in any of the topics I’ve seen...our families.  We are always talking about preparing for war while praying for peace but we never mention the ones who we leave behind and their needs.  Yes we got a little off topic but this was a good chance to mention the needs of preparing for those who will be holding down the fort when the SHTF.

You really only need 3 types of firearms in my opinion.Having multiple copies of those firearms becomes the next order of business. Parts do break and some parts are just easier to grab a new gun than to replace them, and you can cannibalize the broken gun for parts.

A centerfire rifle in your preferred cartridge, a sidearm and a .22 revolver to fill the pot. All 3 can be carried at the same time with the revolver in a pack since you’ll just be using it to hunt small game, which won’t be all the time.

The cartridges for your rifle and pistol don’t matter too much so long as your rifle is actually chambered for a rifle cartridge and semi automatic. I do both 7.62 NATO and 5.56 NATO, though 7.62x39, 5.45, 54r so on and so on will also work.

Better to hunt with a fighting rifle than fight with a hunting rifle

So while this is probably not a wildly popular opinion I do wish to offer an alternative for the budget challenged.   You can find a Lee Enfield that has been sporterized for around $250 to 350 sometimes WITH a scope.

A handheld Lee reloading kit will run you 25 to 30 dollars and with components you can run the old girl at the same or most times less than running an ar-15 (costs me .22 cents a round to reload .303.)

They have a decent capacity and with practice you can run the bolt very quickly.  Given the nature of most of our environments the .303 is a better bush rifle than a 5.56 rifle as well as being used historically to take down anything from a deer to an elephant.

Additionally as far as budget carry pistols, I reviewed the Stoger STR9 it runs like a champ, for fun I put another 4k rounds thru the weapon and it never failed despite me throwing some garbage at it.

On 5/19/2020 at 7:15 PM, Pauld2nd said:

So while this is probably not a wildly popular opinion I do wish to offer an alternative for the budget challenged.   You can find a Lee Enfield that has been sporterized for around $250 to 350 sometimes WITH a scope.

A handheld Lee reloading kit will run you 25 to 30 dollars and with components you can run the old girl at the same or most times less than running an ar-15 (costs me .22 cents a round to reload .303.)

They have a decent capacity and with practice you can run the bolt very quickly.  Given the nature of most of our environments the .303 is a better bush rifle than a 5.56 rifle as well as being used historically to take down anything from a deer to an elephant.

Additionally as far as budget carry pistols, I reviewed the Stoger STR9 it runs like a champ, for fun I put another 4k rounds thru the weapon and it never failed despite me throwing some garbage at it.

Not a bad idea but on the same token you can buy a Savage Axis with a scope in a more modern, widely available .30 caliber cartridge. A scoped Enfield removes the main and in my opinion most useful feature, and that was the clips/chargers. I have a sporterized Ishapore 2A1 that I got in a trade that I regret doing, there's something about sporterized rifles that doesn't feel right.