I had recently got into the discussion whether I can use 5.56 in my marlin x7. A friend of mine (gun shop owner) assured me that I could being a bolt action and sold me two different boxes of 5.56 to try out and see witch preformed the best in my rifle. Well to my surprise both performed very well, in fact I buttoned at 440 yards. (I know. It's not meant to go that far but I had to try it) Needles to say I was satisfied with the results and now on to the ballistic test. The first one at 55 gr. had excellent penetration with minimal distortion to the round but the other at 65 gr. went rite through the gel block and 8 in. int the hard clay wall. After 30 min of digging the round out of that hard clay wall I noticed that the mangled bullet had a steel core. That's right he sold me steel core AP rounds! I had been asking around for the last three days about the legality of possessing AP rounds but nobody including law enforcement can't seem to give me a clear answer. What are your thoughts on this? Let me know.

• Like 1

Is it green tip?  If it's Green Tip M855 ball ammo, it isn't classified as armor piercing.  The steel core does help with more penetration but it isn't truly an armor piercing round, all armor rated for rifle rounds will stop it.  As a rule, green tip steel core isn't as accurate as most other ammo as the steel core process isn't precise and each round has some slight variation from each other.  The green tip ammo is really meant for use in light squad automatic machine guns where more precise accuracy isn't needed.  I started off with M855 Green Tip then when I found out about the accuracy issue etc switched to better ammunition for accuracy.

Military Ammunition and Why Green Tip M855 is Not Armor Piercing

https://www.itstactical.com/warcom/ammunition/military-ammunition-and-why-green-tip-m855-is-not-armor-piercing/

• Like 2

I carry different loads....hornady 155 grain critical defense in the first 6 mags of my .308 and in my pistols I carry 2 different max penetrators...I also like  having a couple mags of black tips just incase I can stack a shot....good article I find myself in arguments about green tips and just plain armor piercing ammo I don't prefer it soft tissue damage is what we want theres always holes in the armor of men. however I might get a box to look tacticool.im  99% sure ap rounds are banned but theres a lot of good ways to defeat bullet proof glass and lightly armored vehicles.https://www.quora.com/What-can-penetrate-bullet-proof-glass

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ripcannon said:

I carry different loads....hornady 155 grain critical defense in the first 6 mags of my .308 and in my pistols I carry 2 different max penetrators...I also like  having a couple mags of black tips just incase I can stack a shot....good article I find myself in arguments about green tips and just plain armor piercing ammo I don't prefer it soft tissue damage is what we want theres always holes in the armor of men. however I might get a box to look tacticool.im  99% sure ap rounds are banned but theres a lot of good ways to defeat bullet proof glass and lightly armored vehicles.https://www.quora.com/What-can-penetrate-bullet-proof-glass

Yes, rounds that actually meet the legal specification and classified as AP armor piercing are illegal to buy, sell or own.  They may only be used by Military and Police in the line of duty.

• Thanks 1

Thank you fellas for you insight. I did in fact notice that they are green tip and took a few tries to land the 440 yard. The 55 gr. took one try and buttoned the target and seems to be more accurate.

• Like 1

ok I thought it was federally banned....idk really know about .22's but the guys I no that run 5.56 op with 68 grain  Frontier or ultramax from hornady again that's just choice outta a semi auto platform from a couple guys...nobody ever got hit with a bullet and ask for another I think what ever you find and like will work within reason...if I was you id get a ar-10 type deal when ever possible...

My marlin x7 may only be a .223 ranch rifle but a well placed shot proves it's worth. I do plan on getting an AR but being a single father dose not permit me on price. Perhaps one day.

• Like 1

hey bro your preachin to the choir I understand...theres nothing wrong with what yeah got.not at all how I ment it.its a good round for groundhog,deer,and 2legged varmint when necessary.  

• Like 1