I'm big boned and so far this is the only carrier / armor set up I can find that is off the rack that would fit me without doing a more expensive custom order from some place.

https://www.ar500armor.com/plate-carriers/plate-carrier-packages-w-armor/xl-basic-carrier-and-armor.html

Anybody else know any companies that sells plate carriers for larger people without it being a custom order?

Yah that is what I'm planning on for the immediate future, with the III+Light Weight curved pates with anti-spalling build up and trauma pads.  Eventually though I do plan to get a custom plate carrier that is also made out of level IIIA ballistic kevlar when I get the money saved up.  It would be nice knowing that the plate carrier / tactical vest  is IIIA rated in case you want to go on a long patrol without the plates in it.  That way you still have pistol and blade protection without carrying the weight of the plates.

http://www.bulletproofme.com/TACTICAL_Body_Armor.shtml#ProMAX-Tactical

id say that's a good choice there good to have you should train in it or just shoot and reload with it...I don't put to much into plates...I wear plate carriers without plates more as a field vest...I got stone wall Jackson faith anymore..

"my religious beliefs teach me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time of my death. I do not concern myself with that, but to be always ready whenever it may overtake me. That is the way all men should live, and all men would be equally brave.”

I like the idea of armor for my brothers but as for me I don't Know it's not me, I don't recall David facing Goliath with any armor. That's not how he operated and if I want a militia defending me I expect to see them performing to the best of their potential as they best operate. It's that singled diversity that is America is what makes us a force to be reckoned with and anyone whom dare try to impregnate our defenses will know with out a doubt what an American contraceptive is.

Body armor definitely has it's place and not for every situation.  Defense and short range perimeter patrolling or mechanized assault units.  Any other situations and the extra weight and lessened mobility would be more of a detriment than the extra protection given is worth. 

Big boned is an interesting description for sure!  Ha. But, more helpful might be a chest measurement.  I'm somewhere between a 42-45 measurement and wear XL sized shirts for the most part.  Both my condor and BDS plate carriers fit my build size.   

I agree with the sentiment that - when my hour comes, that is the time appointed.  However, getting shot in the chest doesn't necessarily mean it's your time to die yet!  Plenty of people survive gunshot wounds.  Spare your friends the bloody mess - body armor isn't just about you, it's also about the guys who have to drag your butt to safety.  Keep their hands dry, they'll appreciate it.  

8 hours ago, RevRifleman said:

Big boned is an interesting description for sure!  Ha. But, more helpful might be a chest measurement.  I'm somewhere between a 42-45 measurement and wear XL sized shirts for the most part.  Both my condor and BDS plate carriers fit my build size.   

I agree with the sentiment that - when my hour comes, that is the time appointed.  However, getting shot in the chest doesn't necessarily mean it's your time to die yet!  Plenty of people survive gunshot wounds.  Spare your friends the bloody mess - body armor isn't just about you, it's also about the guys who have to drag your butt to safety.  Keep their hands dry, they'll appreciate it.  

I'm also a fan of the old adage, "The Lord helps those who help themselves"!

Another option is a IIIA rated plate carrier that acts as armor against pistol and blades on it's own but allows you to add in plates to achieve level III, III+ or IV protection on the front and back as needed or desired.  This Kevlar plate carrier acts as a level IIIA pistol and knife armor by itself and can be used as a tactical vest without the plates for lighter armor.  It can also be worn under a shirt or jacket for protection against pistol cartridges and knives.

http://www.bulletproofme.com/TACTICAL_Body_Armor.shtml#ProMAX-Tactical

image.thumb.png.29e6d996f375f60f3407cdcd3f206e80.png

If you can afford body armor you get body armor.  It keeps you in the fight longer.  The longer you are in the fight the more damage you can put on your enemy.  Put your faith in God but give him something to work with.