Sign in to follow this  
Site Announcement

Survival Buzz: A LifeStraw Go for You and Buzz Break for Me

A-LifeStraw-Go-for-You-and-a-Buzz-Break-for-Me-250x250.jpg

Who ever said that life was easy? Kicking, screaming, and grumbling, there is a lot of “life is the pits” conversation going on in my house this week.

Perhaps it is due to the process of completing my tax return and realizing how little value I am getting for my money. More likely, though, I am just plain tired. Lucky for you, my being grumpy is your gain. Brent from www.BasicShield.com has offered to giveaway a free LifeStraw Go water bottle each month for the next five months so that I can take a monthly Buzz Break.

A-LifeStraw-Go-for-You-and-a-Buzz-Break-for-Me.jpg

I am all for it; after all, who wouldn’t like to have a “Lifestraw in a bottle”? That, in simple terms, is what the LifeStraw GO is all about. Like the traditional Lifestraw, it filters our waterborne bacteria and protozoa and makes turbid water healthy and tasty.

There are a couple of advantage over the traditional LifeStraw. First, you do not have to carry around a second container for scooping up the water prior to drinking. Alternately, you do not need to lie down next to the stream or river to take a drink of water.

Pop on down below and enter the giveaway. This one is a no brainer.

Backdoor Survival Mail Bag & Reader Tips

This tip comes from “JB” who wishes to remain anonymous.

You have many articles about radios but you are missing what I believe is the most important one for a prepper.

In my experience the so called emergency radios fall short of expectation. Their solar panels are tiny and the hand cranks are painful to use. They are also very subject to failure. And, they are expensive for what they are.

But I should first give you a bit of a background on me. I was doing amateur radio when I was a teenager. I have had many, too many, radios in my 52 years. I have a master of engineering degree, so I can appreciate the internals of a radio. And, I will show you the best radio that I have ever encountered for preppers so far.

That is the
– and it costs about than $40.

The headset is no good and should be replaced with a good quality one. I use a Sony ear buds headset.

The radio has a very good FM band receiver and the AM one is exceptional for its price. It is actually so good that you will find internet DX groups talking about that radio.

I live in Montreal, Canada and just tonight I was listening to an am station from Kentucky. That is a thousand miles away. I sometimes hear stations from Florida. Some New york City broadcasts are clear every night.

It does not have NOAA but in my view it is not mandatory for our purpose. If a weather condition arises, the commercial stations will consider it a public duty to cover it. What really matters to me, as a prepper, is the general news. With that radio I get that plus cheap entertainment.

But that is not the best part. That radio works with ONE AA battery and it lasts forever. I cannot confirm it but I have heard one hundred hours for one battery. My experience so far is consistent with that battery longevity.

Combined that with a
that charges 4 AA batteries then you have everything that you really need radio wise. You can also use the that charger to charge your cell phone (that is why the 4 batteries).

You add to that the
which also works with one AA battery and you are all set power wise. And your system is standardized on one type of battery that is found in every corner store on the planet .

Note that you can made a head strap to turn your small flashlight into a headlamp – which can be useful.

To be honest, this tip was submitted quite some time ago and got lost in the shuffle. That said, me thinks that JB is on to something. Often, our old-fashioned devices have attributes that make them better suited to prepping than flashy new technology-advanced gizmos. Portable solar panels not withstanding, of course.ir?t=continmoti-20&l=as2&o=1&a=0942364058

Prepare Your Family for Survival: Tip #9

Here are this week’s prep tips from Linda Loosli’s recently published a book, Prepare Your Family For Survival.

Chapter 9 – Your 72-Hour Kit (AKA Bug-Out Bag)

Tip: You can purchase pre-packed 72-hour kits online. You will need to add food and water and a few other items based on your preferences, but this is an easy way to get started.

For more about the book, visit the article 11 Ways to Prepare Your Family for Survival. You can also read an interview with Linda here.

Current Backdoor Survival Giveaways

What-You-Need-to-Know-About-Mountain-House-BDS-250x250.jpg

The-Preppers-Guide-to-Caches-BDS-250x250.jpg

With all giveaways, winners are notified by email and have 48 hours to claim their prize or an alternate will be selected. Once selected, the names of winners are also displayed in the Rafflecopter on the original giveaway article. This usually happens on the Friday following the end of the giveaway.

Plus, the LifeStraw GO Giveaway

This is going to be easy. Leave a comment just to say “hi” to your fellow readers (or to me), or to ask a question. When done, tell the Rafflecopter you did so. Easy peasy.

a Rafflecopter giveaway

One More Thing: Who is Basic Shield?

Basic Shield was founded in 2015 by a group of U.S. military veterans with extensive knowledge and experience in business, technology, service, and education. Their mission is to serve as a central resource and platform for responsible firearms ownership by providing educational resources, following and promoting products that modernize the industry in both function and safety, and by serving as a responsible forum for issues that affect the firearms industry.

They are supporters of the 2nd Amendment, and strictly espouse respectful and responsible handling and ownership of firearms by all people, for all people.

Check out their blog as well as their huge selection of downloadable gun manuals; it is all there free for the taking.

The Final Word

This is not the first time I have mentioned being tired and in need of a prepping break. In addition, the business side of running a website can be exhausting. How I wish it were like the old, wild west, days of blogging.

Alas, none of us can go backwards. The best we can do is soldier on, one step at a time. Thanks, as always, for being the best blog followers on the planet!

Enjoy your next adventure through common sense and thoughtful preparation!

Gaye

If you enjoyed this article, consider subscribing to email updates. When you do, you will receive a free, downloadable copy of my e-Book, The Emergency Food Buyer’s Guide.

Emergency-Food-Buyers-Guide-2016-02-26r-400x400.jpg

You can also vote for Backdoor Survival daily at Top Prepper Websites!

Related Articles:

Bargain Bin: Here are a selection of items related to today’s Survival Buzz.

LifeStraw GO: I love my LifeStraw GO and use it day to day when I am out and about because I hate nasty tasting water. Also available on Amazon although when you purchase from Backdoor Survival sponsor, EarthEasy, everyone gets free shipping.

LifeStraw Personal Water Filterir?t=continmoti-20&l=as2&o=1&a=B006QF3TW4: The LifeStraw is considered the most advanced, compact, ultra light personal water filter available. It contains no chemicals or iodinated resin, no batteries and no moving parts to break or wear out. It weighs only 2 oz. making it perfect for the prepper. For more information, see my LifeStraw review.

Sony Walkman SRF-59: Talk about an oldie but a goodie. You can probably pick one of these up used at a thrift store although they do tend to command a premium on eBay.

UltraFire Mini Cree LED Flashlightir?t=bds2016-20&l=as2&o=1&a=B006E0QAFY: FAVORITE! At the time of this writing, this one is only $2.88 with free shipping. It is super mini sized, bright and waterproof. Plus, it uses a single, standard AA sized battery.

10790014915_ede2543e1c_m.jpg Green-Mini-Cree-250.jpg

Choetech 19W Solar Panel: This lightweight and compact solar panel works great. The two integrated USB ports are both rated equally so you do not have to fiddle around to see which one will work with your device.

Goal Zero Guide 10 Plus USB Power Packir?t=bds2016-20&l=as2&o=1&a=B00D2SQ6W8: This is the solar battery charger that I own. Yes, it is pricey but if the time comes when I will need it, it will be priceless. Note that it has a USB port so you charge your phones or tablets directly or remove the batteries and use them with other devices.

Battery-Tester-BT-250.jpg

Amprobe BAT-250 Battery Testerir?t=continmoti-20&l=as2&o=1&a=B00OCBSASM: I do not know anyone that is sorry they purchased or gifted an inexpensive battery tester. Mine sits in my desk drawer and is used 3 or 4 times a week. This newer version is an upgrade from the BAT-200 and well worth the additional dollar in cost. I especially like the redesigned side cradle that holds batteries securely in place during testing – no more erratic battery readings from movement off contacts.

~~~~~~~~~~

For over 25 years Emergency Essentials has been providing the highest quality preparedness products at great prices. Plus, each month they feature sales that quite honestly are fantastic.

show?id=9PGNDhpmhqI&bids=417574.10001628&type=4&subid=0show?id=9PGNDhpmhqI&bids=417574.10001483&type=4&subid=0728x90march2016.jpgshow?id=9PGNDhpmhqI&bids=417574.10001641&type=4&subid=0

~~~~~

Need something from Amazon (and who doesn’t)?

I earn a small commission from purchases made when you begin your Amazon shopping experience here. You still get great Amazon service and the price is the same, no matter what.

Amazon has a feature called Shop Amazon - Most Wished For Items. This is an easy tool for finding products that people are ‘wishing” for and in this way you know what the top products are. All you need to do is select the category from the left hand side of the screen.

Help support Backdoor Survival. Purchases earn a small commission and for that I thank you!

~~~~~

Spark-Naturals-Ad2-2016-1.jpg

The post Survival Buzz: A LifeStraw Go for You and Buzz Break for Me by Gaye Levy first appeared on Backdoor Survival.

Continue reading...