Let_Freedom_Ring

Budget Guns That Will Get Er Done!

I carry a gen 1 g17 on my pack(on my thigh rig I go for the g40 in 10mm)...there the ak of the pistol world...that gun will always fire, ,dirty, ,clean ,,and in a foot or more underwater...hi-points are kinda reliable just to throw that out there but there mags are harder to come by.and you can get a SW for about the same cost.good stuff...

Purchased a PTR-91 from Atlantic Firearms about three years ago...they call it the German Kaloshnikov because it is rugged and reliable, and I've had good service out of it.  I think AF may have some fairly low prices, depending on what your looking for.

On 1/22/2019 at 5:38 PM, Max said:

Purchased a PTR-91 from Atlantic Firearms about three years ago...they call it the German Kaloshnikov because it is rugged and reliable, and I've had good service out of it.  I think AF may have some fairly low prices, depending on what your looking for.

A PTR-91 GRI (HK-G3 HK-91 US made clone) was the first .308/7.62  rifle I owned and it was a great rifle.  It shot dead on out of the box, never had to adjust the sights and was about 1-1/2 MOA at 100 yards which is pretty darn good shooting off hand for a rifle.  I also purchased mine from Atlantic Firearms as they had the best deal at the time.  I got it on a sale for $849 with 3 extra surplus magazines for a total of 4, and a G3 surplus cleaning kit and leather sling included.  Best bang for the buck if you want a quality inexpensive MBR Main Battle Rifle in .308/7.62.  Also you can still buy new  and used bayonet lugs and bayonets for this model through HK and RTG parts as well as new and cheaper very good condition surplus magazines.  I bought 10 surplus aluminum magazines from RTG and they looked to me like they had never been issued.  Notice near the end of this video they bump fire this with just their trigger finger, no bump stock.  I guess trigger fingers will be banned next?

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/products/ptr-gi-r-308-rifle-paddle-mag-release

I just couldn't get over the bolt not locking back when the magazine was empty even though I knew that before I bought it.  So I sold it to get an MSR10 Long Range.  Also the bolt on the PTR-91 models can be a real biatch to get back together if you take it down for cleaning or if it accidentally comes apart while pulling it out.  This rifle flings the brass 3 times as far as most other rifles and tends to dent the brass more, so if you are a big re-loader you should take that into consideration on the PTR-91 models.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/24724/savage_22904_msr10_long_range_semi-automatic_308_win_20_10+1_magpul

This actually comes with a 20 round magazine even though the description says 10+

Both probably a little out of the price range of uber budget patriots though well worth the money if you have it.

My favorite rifle is a Mosin-Nagant, was made in Russia in 1929.  When I bought it, for $75, it had the most perfect bore that I've ever seen in a weapon that old.  I'm very certain that only the five test rounds were fired from it, at the "Isshy" factory.

Since then, I've added an Archangel polymer stock, a Timney trigger set ... at the factory ...at a 1.5 lb pull, AR-15 sling and swivels, a bipod, a turndown bolt, and a rail for the scope which I'm adding in a couple of months.  The rifle is incredibly accurate, and I get solid groupings out to the limit of my vision.  I was going to cut six inches off the muzzle, re-crown, and add a muzzle brake.  But the Illinois law which will undoubtedly pass the State Legislature and be signed by the criminal this State elected as governor, makes such modifications illegal.  The removable magazines hold no more than 10 rounds, which satisfies the gun-grabbers.

The total cost of all of these modifications will add up to about $850, and I'm certain that I can get good groupings out to ranges of 2000 yards.

Note that if you live in Illinois, and haven't bought ANY of the rifles listed in this thread by the time the gun law is signed into law ... and this includes the Ruger 10/22 ... the guns will be illegal.  This is why I have gone the route I took to a modernized, yet relatively inexpensive, high-accuracy rifle.

image.thumb.png.7535950594259c9d684c5efb2d114549.png

Both my Ruger AR-556 and PSA PA-15 midlength have worked flawlessly.  My S&W MP9 2.0 has also been reliable. 

With a family to feed and clothe, I can only spend so much on firearms.  My only big expense in the firearm department was for my Springfield-Armory M1A which now comfortably rests in an Archangel stock with a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6 mounted on it.  I much prefer to lug the AR-15 platforms around, but, the M1A is a lot of fun.  

1 hour ago, RevRifleman said:

Both my Ruger AR-556 and PSA PA-15 midlength have worked flawlessly.  My S&W MP9 2.0 has also been reliable. 

With a family to feed and clothe, I can only spend so much on firearms.  My only big expense in the firearm department was for my Springfield-Armory M1A which now comfortably rests in an Archangel stock with a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6 mounted on it.  I much prefer to lug the AR-15 platforms around, but, the M1A is a lot of fun.  

Well thought out and good choices!

2 hours ago, Let_Freedom_Ring said:

Unfortunately the days of a Mosin Nagant going for under $400 have passed.  Congrats on getting the buy you did!

It's about the only thing I can thank Obama for!  Someone in his administration decided that since the rifle had military sights and could mount a bayonet, it was an "assault rifle",and should be banned from importation!

1 hour ago, RevRifleman said:

Sounds like a good mix of weaponry.  Living in Illinois, I've purposely tried to keep my mix of weapons "non-threatening", with my primary weapon being a bolt-action weapon ten years older than me!  I do have a Patriot Arms (don't laugh... it was designed by an Israeli firearms engineer) in .380 for my hip (or tactical vest, where I have another holster).  I've spent many years collecting tactical equipment and clothing, and recently, have started adding Kevlar to the mix.  My tactical vest will accept Kevlar, also, and that's next on my list.

Concerning the Patriot, a lot of people consider it junk.  But I've never had a misfire, hangfire, or any other problem with it, and the price was right.  I have solid groupings at 50 feet, though with the .380, I wouldn't want to use it over 25 feet.  It's a weapon of last resort.

Don't forget useful weapons and tools like a KBar, an axe, and so on.

I lust after your Springfield!

18 minutes ago, Headhunter said:

Sounds like a good mix of weaponry.  Living in Illinois, I've purposely tried to keep my mix of weapons "non-threatening", with my primary weapon being a bolt-action weapon ten years older than me!  I do have a Patriot Arms (don't laugh... it was designed by an Israeli firearms engineer) in .380 for my hip (or tactical vest, where I have another holster).  I've spent many years collecting tactical equipment and clothing, and recently, have started adding Kevlar to the mix.  My tactical vest will accept Kevlar, also, and that's next on my list.

Concerning the Patriot, a lot of people consider it junk.  But I've never had a misfire, hangfire, or any other problem with it, and the price was right.  I have solid groupings at 50 feet, though with the .380, I wouldn't want to use it over 25 feet.  It's a weapon of last resort.

I plan to look into a quality bolt action in a nato caliber at some point.  I really try to stick with common military calibers as they are easier to source.  In the 'Live Free or Die' state we can have some fun in the firearms ownership department.  Illinois isn't too bad outside of Chi-town... but, you do have that FOID business to deal with.  Tannerite booms and cannon fire can be heard on occasion in my neck of the woods. 

The M1A is a great rifle.  However, it is significantly heavier than an AR-15 and not particularly friendly for maneuvering (44" in length). Factor in the weight of ammo... and the AR15 starts to look a lot more attractive.  Love the hit power of the 7.62x51 though.  Great for a Marksman or defending a position.  But, I wouldn't want to lug one around in a mobile situation.  

I've yet to pick up a decent knife.  I do have an e-tool and a hatchet.  I have a few types of camo, fast helmet iiia, III+ plates, plate carriers, and some packs.  I'm still working out the details on my medic pouch. 

10 hours ago, Headhunter said:

The best gun is the one you have when you need it.  Nothing wrong with a .380 mouse gun especially with the right modern day ammo.  It's not always practical to be strapped with something bigger and still be concealable.  I keep a Ruger LC380 (not to be confused with the LCP380) w/ Crimson Trace Laser

image.png.1d5445f8344cca804ebd886914a7e492.png

in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster as my truck gun and slip it into my pocket if not carrying my regular larger EDC.  I picked it up used at a gun shop without the laser site for $250 and very happy with it.  I purchased the laser site from the local gun store where I bought this and they put it on for me right there.  Service, one reason to patronize your local firearms dealers when you can.  I also bought an extra magazine as it comes with one, I have the pinky extensions on both magazines.

image.png.84133db1b899820256d6594bba9473cf.png

I also have a Glock 43 w/Crimson Trace Laser, and Vickers Tactical +2 extensions on the magazines that fits well in the Desantis Nemesis pocket Holster.  I bought this later version well after the initial feeding problem had been worked out and it was marked down, because the G42 9mm had been out for a while and the sales on the G43 .380 had slowed way down.  I originally tried the Strike Industries +2 magazine extensions but they weren't very good and caused feeding problems, plus they just looked cheap.  The Vickers Tactical +2 extensions work well and look good.

image.thumb.png.e4124c035421fd12d564a49dc50e6f2c.png

image.thumb.png.5881bb83c8672aef9137cd633020a63a.png

I originally got it for my wife to replace her Taurus CH 85 SS .38 SPL but she wanted to keep the snub nose so the Glock 43 went to my daughter.  

image.png.eb60e46b6039277e653e2479d91bb0cb.png

I got the Taurus CH85 SS .38 Special many years ago at a local gun show plus two boxes of Winchester 125 grain JHP ammo for $200.  Taurus doesn't make this model anymore which is a shame, and if you can find one for sale used they usually list for around $400.  Yes, firearms can be a good investment as well, not too many things you can buy then sell for a 100 percent profit!  Guys, you are welcome to use this "good investment" example to talk your wife into allowing you to buy more guns.  😉

11 hours ago, RevRifleman said:

I plan to look into a quality bolt action in a nato caliber at some point.  I really try to stick with common military calibers as they are easier to source.  In the 'Live Free or Die' state we can have some fun in the firearms ownership department.  Illinois isn't too bad outside of Chi-town... but, you do have that FOID business to deal with.  Tannerite booms and cannon fire can be heard on occasion in my neck of the woods. 

The M1A is a great rifle.  However, it is significantly heavier than an AR-15 and not particularly friendly for maneuvering (44" in length). Factor in the weight of ammo... and the AR15 starts to look a lot more attractive.  Love the hit power of the 7.62x51 though.  Great for a Marksman or defending a position.  But, I wouldn't want to lug one around in a mobile situation.  

I've yet to pick up a decent knife.  I do have an e-tool and a hatchet.  I have a few types of camo, fast helmet iiia, III+ plates, plate carriers, and some packs.  I'm still working out the details on my medic pouch. 

Very similar to my set up and thoughts.  If you are intending to replace your M1A, try comparing it to a Savage MSR10 Long Range or even the MSR10 Hunter in .308/7.62x51 slightly lighter but AR configuration.  You could just about pay for the MSR10 selling your M1A or making a good trade deal

https://www.springfield-armory.com/products/m1a-loaded/

image.thumb.png.c3625b94b7bea48067d7852bda287c61.png

https://www.savagearms.com/firearms/msr/msr-10/msr-10-long-range

image.thumb.png.daf7ea3ea86ec669ea2097860b1165e9.png

Again, though it says 10 round capacity it is sold with a 20 round magazine:

image.thumb.png.4fbd576112a5f999f344457be6fab8b5.png

https://www.savagearms.com/firearms/msr/msr-10/msr-10-hunter

image.thumb.png.43612a18a11b6d32de76d8b026f38b7e.png

image.thumb.png.cd8a0d0de4f3c7273ac0ba10288e4d30.png

She's too much fun to sell or replace.  I'd just want another down the line.  I'll just tuck a little cash away here and there.  I can be patient for a year or two.  Makes for a fun range gun.

20190126_121453.jpg

50 minutes ago, RevRifleman said:

She's too much fun to sell or replace.  I'd just want another down the line.  I'll just tuck a little cash away here and there.  I can be patient for a year or two.  Makes for a fun range gun.

20190126_121453.jpg

I understand completely!  😉

If you are in financial need or dire situation, you can sign up for a monthly drawing put on by The Yankee Marshall that gives a free handgun each month to a person in need that wants to be able to exercise their second amendment right:

What is the TYMP Pistol Project?

Watch this video then send an email to:

TYMPpistolproject@gmail.com