Let_Freedom_Ring

Budget Guns That Will Get Er Done!

For folks who live in states where an AR-15 or AK variant rifle are not options:  Kel-Tec SU-16CA (There are other variants of the SU-16 worth considering, I just chose the CA model for this post).  These can be found between 400-600 dollars depending upon retailer.  Can use standard AR-15 magazines and is chambered in .223 / 5.56

Granted there are critiques out there about how much polymer is used in its construction.  How tough it is compared to an AR or an AK is up for debate.  Metal is usually more durable.  Of course, with any rifle there are varying reviews about reliability.  Always do your research before a purchase.  

keltec su16ca.png

Edited by RevRifleman

BEAR CREEK ARSENAL

Just ordered this rifle seems like a good deal, they have several models and good reviews.

will test this out and let ya know how good it is.

**If your on a budget you better get your guns now,  as prices will go up as the election grows near**

https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/bca-ar-15-complete-rifle-16-parkerized-4150-steel-m4-contour-barrel-5-56-nato-1-7-twist-w-15-mlok-rail

8 hours ago, Dav Harzin said:

BEAR CREEK ARSENAL

Just ordered this rifle seems like a good deal, they have several models and good reviews.

**If your on a budget you better get your guns now,  as prices will go up as the election grows near**

https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/bca-ar-15-complete-rifle-16-parkerized-4150-steel-m4-contour-barrel-5-56-nato-1-7-twist-w-15-mlok-rail

Looks like a very good price for everything included.  Others might want to read their Google reviews before ordering.  I didn't see anything about quality but did see some negatives about customer service and some business practices that a few weren't too happy about.  Still they have a lot of good reviews as well.  I am interested in hearing more about your experience with them later and also quality review.  

image.png.ef5f293e6b323a55c4df176a347d37c3.png

On 1/26/2019 at 12:43 AM, RevRifleman said:

I plan to look into a quality bolt action in a nato caliber at some point.  I really try to stick with common military calibers as they are easier to source.  In the 'Live Free or Die' state we can have some fun in the firearms ownership department.  Illinois isn't too bad outside of Chi-town... but, you do have that FOID business to deal with.  Tannerite booms and cannon fire can be heard on occasion in my neck of the woods. 

The M1A is a great rifle.  However, it is significantly heavier than an AR-15 and not particularly friendly for maneuvering (44" in length). Factor in the weight of ammo... and the AR15 starts to look a lot more attractive.  Love the hit power of the 7.62x51 though.  Great for a Marksman or defending a position.  But, I wouldn't want to lug one around in a mobile situation.  

I've yet to pick up a decent knife.  I do have an e-tool and a hatchet.  I have a few types of camo, fast helmet iiia, III+ plates, plate carriers, and some packs.  I'm still working out the details on my medic pouch. 

That's why I like the AR10 platform.  In between weight of an AR15 and M1A1, as ex military much more familiarity of manual of arms of the AR15, knock down power and reach of the M1A1.  As for a good all around knife, why not one that is designed for combat, a bayonet?  That way if you have a rifle with a bayonet lug, you can also fix bayonet.

image.thumb.png.52af101f524d4eb24b48cf63484e0c55.png

On 6/12/2019 at 9:59 AM, Dav Harzin said:

BEAR CREEK ARSENAL

How are you liking this Dav?  Personal reviews are always best and most useful.

1 hour ago, Let_Freedom_Ring said:

How are you liking this Dav?  Personal reviews are always best and most useful.

I haven't had the funds to do a real test. I have about 250 rds thru it not one prob. much lighter than my ruger MPR, so its nice to carry. seems like mid quality parts. shoots nice, very happy so far.

53 minutes ago, Dav Harzin said:

I haven't had the funds to do a real test. I have about 250 rds thru it not one prob. much lighter than my ruger MPR, so its nice to carry. seems like mid quality parts. shoots nice, very happy so far.

Sounding like a bang for the buck AR so far.  Thanks for the recap!

4 hours ago, Let_Freedom_Ring said:

That's why I like the AR10 platform.  In between weight of an AR15 and M1A1, as ex military much more familiarity of manual of arms of the AR15, knock down power and reach of the M1A1.  As for a good all around knife, why not one that is designed for combat, a bayonet?  That way if you have a rifle with a bayonet lug, you can also fix bayonet.

image.thumb.png.52af101f524d4eb24b48cf63484e0c55.png

I have an m7 bayonet, and i open carry it whenever i leave the house. Surprisingly it is legal to open carry knives in Florida. 

1 hour ago, young patriot said:

I have an m7 bayonet, and i open carry it whenever i leave the house. Surprisingly it is legal to open carry knives in Florida. 

I went to Orange Park Mall and was told it couldnt exceed a 3" Blade, as a Fixed Bladed knife.. i left!

On 8/21/2019 at 12:00 AM, Bear7 said:

I went to Orange Park Mall and was told it couldnt exceed a 3" Blade, as a Fixed Bladed knife.. i left!

i surprisingly have not even had a single person question me about it. I am certainly glad you left friend. wait... i am not all that far from orange park. hmm, wouldnt it be funny to bump into you. If you ever see a guy in flannel shirts, cowboy boots, and a bayonet on their right hip, shout out, its probably me! XD 

5 minutes ago, young patriot said:

i surprisingly have not even had a single person question me about it. I am certainly glad you left friend. wait... i am not all that far from orange park. hmm, wouldnt it be funny to bump into you. If you ever see a guy in flannel shirts, cowboy boots, and a bayonet on their right hip, shout out, its probably me! XD 

may have seen you then. 

Golden coral there is GOOOD.

Took the wife to shop over there. Heard of a great gun shop that way too.

Babys R Us Went out..

Im over in Alachua County area. Out by Gville and Stark, Waldo

I wouldn't call it a "budget gun": not anymore.  But back when Odamna was President, I bought a 1929 Mosin-Nagant.  The bore on this rifle was absolutely perfect, and I'm sure it wasn't fired once, since it left the factory.  I was a sniper in 'Nam, and I favor bolt-action rifles in 7.62mm, because of their power, range, and accuracy.  I've taken some time adding to it.

It's no longer a budget gun because you used to be able to buy it for $75, but someone in 44's Administration decided it was an assault rifle, and banned its importation.  My rifle went up in value by about $400, overnight.  Thanks, President 44!

I've taken my time adding to it.  At present, it has the ProMag Archangel stock, and Timney Trigger (set at the factory for the lightest trigger pull possible), and a number of removable magazines with a 10-round capacity.  The stock has several attachment points for the AR-15 sling mounts, and I've added a sling. 

Next month, I'm adding a Picatinney rail to the underside of the stock (it's designed for this), and a folding back bipod.  After that, I'll take it to a gunsmith and add another Picatinney rail to the top, so that I can mount a scope.  I'll also have to buy a "turn-down" bolt, so that when I work the action, I don't bust my scope to pieces.  My scope will have a laser rangefinder, and ... of course .... MOA adjustments.

Using Winchester-Western ammo in 7.62x54r caliber, I believe that I can get really good groupings at upwards of 2000 yards.  I'll knock a gnat off of a tit at 1000 yards.

Then, about 500 rounds at the range, and I'm good to go.

But like I said, this is no longer a budget gun.