KillBird

The Pen Mightier Then The Sword.

In today's day we have many forms of modern communications in the advances of tech and in many ways it has become a great tool to our benefit but that said we know very well that this can become limited or all together lost with a push of a button.

When it comes down to last resort communication we in this day and age all too often forget about the lowly pen, the art of letter writing is become a thing of the past and it's benefits out weigh the factor of privacy, reliability and editable vulnerability of today's form of communication.

Are you ready to communicate with your unit or others when coms are cut? Do you have their mail info? Do you have a pen?

Federal and State Senators and Representatives pay more attention to a hand written letter because they know the person feels very strongly to have taken the time to write one.  It also takes up physical space in their office when the mail is delivered so a visual reminder.

True.  Commo. is something that is pretty important in the field.  But when the hand helds and the cell phones no longer work, when the analog systems are down, a person might have to resort to a different form of info. transfer...something not technically sophisticated-something like written messages or codes that nobody has.  After all, its a technique that has been used before and it seemed to work pretty well.

Not a bad idea.  Hopefully the bad guys won.t have shotguns.

I contact representatives weekly sometimes more.    Contact the representatives often enough and they actually get to know you.   Always remain calm and stay with facts.   Explain why certain proposed bills won't or can't work.   Present them with simple common sense ideas of your own that have to work.

Posted (edited)
On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 11:11 AM, VTConcernedCitizen said:

do it, we sit here and watch while complaining, but who really responds

it needs to be all of us collectively

I could not agree with you more!!  In my mind the question is:  WHEN do we all rise up "as one man"?  Who decides that?  A man here, a unit there won't affect anything.  In fact, they'll probably be labeled as crackpots or anarchists and actually hurt the cause they are defending.  I believe we need a "universal" signal that ALL will abide by.

I know this is about communications: upward/outward to your elected representatives, and downward/inward to your unit or other units... but that's all secondary.  If a situation develops, you need to let them know what's happening: how can you be certain it's really time to mobilize?

In the field, bugles, "clangors" of some kind, and whistles all work well, and are faster than a runner carrying a message: it is sound, however, so there are limits to the distance.  Relays will be important.

Edited by John Last