Hello all, Lookin for opinions for a scope, for a ruger MPR 18” brl, I wear glasses, sometimes that matters. My OA is wide open desert, so Im thinkin a 3x12 with some kind of stadia rectical. Budget around 400. …mount ? La rue qwik release ? .Iv’e done some studying for scopes.. I get dizy from so many options/makes/illum ? Any thoughts on this would be apreciated. Tanks, DAV

What is the intended use?  Hunting?  Target practice?   

I'm a big fan of Vortex and run a Strike Eagle on my primary AR.  I'm not out in the wide open ranges like you, but, I wouldn't push my AR past 600 yards even if I was.  Opting for a 1-6 or 1-8 set up gives you better close quarters and keeps the medium range capability you'd get from a 3-9. 

A better idea of use can tell us a lot more.  If you're popping varmints and small critters, higher magnification can be beneficial. 

10 hours ago, Dav Harzin said:

Hello all, Lookin for opinions for a scope, for a ruger MPR 18” brl, I wear glasses, sometimes that matters. My OA is wide open desert, so Im thinkin a 3x12 with some kind of stadia rectical. Budget around 400. …mount ? La rue qwik release ? .Iv’e done some studying for scopes.. I get dizy from so many options/makes/illum ? Any thoughts on this would be apreciated. Tanks, DAV

Yeah, Its for my 'primary defensive/combat' rifle. I only have one rifle.

Well... all my defensive-only weapons run irons. One can practice enough to learn them your points of impact out to 500 yards in 223/556. You can keep it almost as simple by buying a quality quick detach scope mount and a quality fixed power scope, then carry them with you and install when wanted. Some people mix both worlds and run a scope and offset irons. My favorite scopes are Vortex and Leupold.

Primary Defensive/Combat would suggest two legged pest control.  I'd go Primary Arms or Vortex with 1-6 or 1-8 magnification.  This is where we have to separate theory from reality.  Theory states that it would be ideal to engage a threat when the threat is as far away as possible.  More space between you and your enemy is to your advantage.  A big scope giving you a clear view to send a 5.56x45 out to a 1000 yards and drop the evil bandit planning to steal your corn supply is the stuff that gets our blood pumping.  In reality, I can only think of a few scenarios - even in the worst case of shtf - where it would be ethical/moral to drop someone beyond 200 yards.  Mere presence cannot indicate intent or threat.  It's easy to romanticize sniping bad guys at 1000 yards.  We can blah about this person walked onto 1 of my 500 acres of land and therefore... no.  He may not have seen a sign, he may be looking for help, you cannot know unless you have some form of verbal engagement.  Communication at 1000 yards is pretty limited.  Theory tells us to get space between us and the bad guy.  In reality, most encounters requiring the exchange of gunfire will be close range - it's the only way to determine threat unless the enemy is wearing a uniform and can be identified as hostile at distance.  Hunting and long distance target are the only practical reasons, aside from building a dedicated DMR / Sniper platform, to get a scope with more than 8x in my opinion.