In my time in the military, I watched men come and go.  Seen some things to that are heart breaking.  I wanted to first give you what leadership and the qualities that entail it are.

At the founding of our country, it is clear that this nation was founded as "One Nation under God".  There have been many debates on God, using statements from our founding fathers.  However, in all these debates, one big piece is missing, the Physical Evidence.  You can argue and debate God and use statements, but in our system of jurisprudence, you can't debate physical evidence.  In latter years Barrack Obama stated, "We are not a Christian Nation."  Well, that would refute the physical evidence, the basis on which all our laws reside today.  That physical evidence I would direct you to is inscribed on the Supreme Court walls and is called, "The Ten Commandments".  Now, whether you believe that the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob was the one that handed them down, they were the first moral codes handed down to the people and the first that laid out some very basic sets of guideline such as, "Thou shall have no other God before me."  Which God was this?  Well it was the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob as laid out in the Bible.  What about, "Thou shall not kill."  I'd say that murder is wrong in this country, but other countries that are not founded on this, they hold no value on human life.

Being a leader is more than being the first on the field and the last off.  It is more than doing yourself before you ask of others.  It is a character.  The first character of any true leader is love.  Love God, then Country, then Family, and then the American or your people.  If you have no love of God then the pyramid is broken because in I Corinthians 13:4-8 you have the first character qualities of a true leader. "Love is patient, love is kind.  It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.  It does not dishonor others, it is not self seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.  Love does not rejoice in evil but rejoices with the truth.  It always protected, always trusts, always hopes always perseveres.  Love never fails.  But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away."

A leader must begin with God, and that God is unquestionable the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob and was so important to the founders of this nation they built upon this and it was good until evil came in and tried to scrub God from our heritage.  So devastating was the blow, it had a impact on our basic foundations, Country and Family.  I am sure many men here have suffered divorce, but if you had perfect love as defines above, could the outcome had been different?  If you go to war and had perfect love, could the results be a win at every turn, a thwarting of evil intent and even the divine protection of the God our fathers prayed to endlessly during their war with the British?  Perhaps the divine protection our current President has is the divine protection of God.  I have watched Donald Trump, he walked into a poker game that was rigged and just keeps winning.  This doesn't happen unless there is something outside working to turn the tide.  Perhaps this is what George Washington's men referred to as providence.

To be a true leader, you must first, and absolutely, without doubt, develop your relationship with the God that made us and practice daily the character, prayer, and with discipline exercise and carryout of these qualities.  They must be present in your daily life, home, family and the place that begins is in the beginning, the Bible.  As this applies to warfare, a general with perfect love would put the needs of his men and the concern of his men first.  A husband with perfect love would overlook his wife's imperfections and exhort her perfections.  He would lead and guide his children into those things that are right.  At the top of any leadership is above him God.

Make no mistake, if you have any question about the role of America's christian heritage and how it applies to leadership, the physical evidence is written on the largest walls in the land left there by the people that founded this great nation as a testament and I think a foresight, that in times like this, there would be every effort to scrub the mortar from the foundation and that would be God.