I personally own a few handguns.  I don't train with them as often as I should, probably.  I spend more time with my rifles and shotguns.

That being said, I've noticed on a number of Militia videos that many individuals and units seem to carry and train with pistols.  I've always found this odd as I can't really think of many scenarios where I would want to carry the additional weight of a pistol and ammo for it when I could carry more mags for my rifle.  Weight is weight.  Also, the Military seldom has our boys and gals carrying pistols unless they are officers or serve some function where a rifle is too bulky and unwieldy to effectively use.  I could understand if you wanted to train with a pistol for concealed carry purposes, but, a pistol is a dead weight insurance policy for a rifle failure (which if well maintained and cared for should not be a problem).  If you're relying on a pistol in combat, you're not going to be doing much quick drawing and firing at your target.  Seems like some of the training that is going on in these militia units is far more tacticool than practical tactical.  

What are your thoughts on carrying a pistol?  

Very interesting and well reasoned point.  Anybody have any good counter points to this as, it is better to carry the extra weight of a pistol and it's ammo than more ammo for a rifle because?  I like my pistols too.  I guess my reason would be if for some reason I would only be able to operate with one hand, it would be better to have a pistol as well as a last resort.  I personally see the Militia as mostly local and short range support operations for the majority.  I guess what is most important is the role, each mission has to be evaluated for equipment needs.  If I am fairly sure there is a good chance that I'm going to be hoofing it for more than 2 clicks then yah, I'm pretty sure I would leave the pistol behind.     

2 hours ago, Let_Freedom_Ring said:

Very interesting and well reasoned point.  Anybody have any good counter points to this as, it is better to carry the extra weight of a pistol and it's ammo than more ammo for a rifle because?  I like my pistols too.  I guess my reason would be if for some reason I would only be able to operate with one hand, it would be better to have a pistol as well as a last resort.  I personally see the Militia as mostly local and short range support operations for the majority.  I guess what is most important is the role, each mission has to be evaluated for equipment needs.  If I am fairly sure there is a good chance that I'm going to be hoofing it for more than 2 clicks then yah, I'm pretty sure I would leave the pistol behind.     

i would at least have a small pistol, even if it is just a little 38 special. My reason for this is because if you get separated from your unit, and your rifle malfunctions, having even a little 5 shot revolver would be priceless. Even if you just have it in a basic storage compartment and not a holster, like in a backpack. You never know. I can understand not wanting to carry a duty pistol with extra mags, but a little revolver in a backpack wouldn't add a lot of extra weight, but it does add alot more options to you in a jam. Hell, if a buddy's gun malfunctions, you could lend it to him in a jam. Just a thought.

I think a lot of it just has to do with the size of militia units in general. Being in small groups with little to no sort of resupply or support chain if you have a catastrophic failure of your rifle you will at least have something to defend yourself with until you can get that situation remedied. For a militia unit I think something like a sidearm is just personal preference, but I do believe the guys going all tacticool with the rifle/pistol transitions and high speed pistol drills is a bit overboard. If you are going to your pistol in a combat situation shit as already gone way sideways and your fucked either way. 

Carry a pistol and 2 extra mags.in a thigh rig no real extra wieght(small spaces)...contingency plan at minimum plus  that's were I keep my backup light...I practice with mine because I edc my pistol...and I'd prefer having it in any situation... But do you plan or practice with any backup plan in case of a bullet through the barrel do you carry 2 rifles or a PCC???remember proper planning prevents piss poor performance.

I know you don't carry two long guns but you can't plan for failures unless you plan your failures just a suggestion...I'd say a rifle is the way but when the shtf a pistol will be on my side...its just familiar I guess...good topic bro

Simply put pistols are for fighting your way to your rifles,,, and rifles are for engaging.... Pistols and other sidearms will always have a place,,,and are not being phased out in any capacity,,,,but they are not primary systems used to engage the enemy....

Posted (edited)

I'm not opposed to carrying a pistol.  Part of the conversation is to look at other opinions on the matter.  I do have a thigh rig and could run it.  I guess it all comes down to what LFR stated... what's the situation/mission? 

My issue is weight - ounces become pounds.  If I'm running pc with plates, mags, rifle, water, food, med, bucket on my noggin, pack on my bag... that's weight I have to carry.  Do I want those additional ounces of pistol and ammo hanging off my leg?  I guess it depends.  I could see having one or two individuals in a unit carrying a pistol in the event of a rifle malfunction or other scenario where the primary is down and out.  But, I don't know if every guy has to be packing the extra weight.  It's always good to prepare for the worst case scenario, but, statistically what are the odds of that playing out?  Sometimes you have to stack odds against prep.  It's nice to have when you need it, but, realistically what are the odds of being a lone survivor in a unit or separated from your unit with a malfunctioned rifle and the only way you're getting home is with your pistol and two magazines.  You aren't going to be taking long range shots with it in that scenario - you're trying to survive and remain undetected in those situations.  Up close encounter, it might save your neck if the event you happen to stumble upon an enemy combatant who also is a lone survivor or separated from his group.  But, if you're that close to the enemy on your own without a rifle and there is more than two of them... that pistol might help you drop a few more, but, you're out numbered and way out gunned.  Dirt nap is high probability.  I suppose the consolation is that you might take a few down before you bite the dust.  

I think mission would heavily dictate whether or not I carried a pistol. 

Edited by RevRifleman

It sounds like you already have your answer. There are positive and negatives to everything it all depends on what you’re doing. I think as a militia force it’s not a bad idea to have one, but hey, maybe you don’t want one, that’s cool too.  With pistols it’s mostly just a personal protection weapon (there are exceptions to every rule) so if it makes you more comfortable having it rock on, if not I wouldn’t worry to much about it. I would definitely stay away from those low hanging thigh rigs though, get something just a bit higher like a mid ride or just a belt mounted.