OK, you already know field phones like the TA-312 are a really nice item of kit to have for LP/OP and command centers.  Can you afford them along with a switchboard?  I recently bought a 1940's Navy Department Bureau of Yards and Docks at an auction for 30.00 and its going to be an experiment.  I have been collecting old phones for a couple years now and have about 15 of them.  More than I need but I don't know how many are INOP.

Now check out these YouTube videos and its going to all makes sense.

This first video is the best simple design.

For some reason when I copy and paste the links they are coping the first video.  I will try to add them in additional posts or at a later time.

Posted (edited)

These next two are more advanced skill to make and I really like them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l5se0gGM18&list=PLGrH50gcNqUrerOobcx75lwTGT1H7CIyk&index=4&t=13s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXICrHqCwHQ&list=PLGrH50gcNqUrerOobcx75lwTGT1H7CIyk&index=5&t=4s

Here is a very in depth video explaining an old switchboard.  It is similar to what I have.  This guy does a great job explaining it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVQ-HLG0IPI&list=PLGrH50gcNqUrerOobcx75lwTGT1H7CIyk&index=23&t=0s

All right, this is it.  I hope I gave some of you guys some ideas.  I cant wait to try out that first video.  Always remember to improvise, adapt and overcome.

Edited by Swamp Fox
Text

I decided to by this PABX.  It was reasonably priced and no building involved.  It does take  110v power but can be remedied with an inverter and a 12v battery with solar to keep it charge and I already have those components.  It doesn't like older phones like from the early 80's and older.  You can still here but the mechanical ringer does not work to well.  I have enough phone line to test it out.  I need to buy some of those rolls of 1000' telephone line.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015MIQ12A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

check out this video on how it works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b555344708&list=PLGrH50gcNqUrerOobcx75lwTGT1H7CIyk&index=7&t=311s

Man I cant spell today.  My mind is going faster than I can type and the words are misspelled.  I wish I could edit after the fact.

LOL, I forgot to add that does anyone want to buy a 1940's switchboard?  Not that I bought the PABX I don't need it anymore.  Excuse the mess in the photo.  I am rearranging the prepper room.

DSCF3530.JPG

The PABX works awesome.  It will operate 8 lines but your HQ will be using one of those lines.  I ordered and received 3 phones $8.00 each that you can shut off the ringer and it has a red light to let you know there is an incoming call.  Those will be awesome for an LP/OP.  I have a total of 7 phones now.  What isn't used will be spares.

Privately-operated landlines would be a very useful thing to have in a SHTF situation, from the point of view of reliability when other forms of communication may be down, and also from the point of view of security.  During WWI they were the main method of rapid communication between the front and HQ in the rear.

It would be good if someone who knows about these things could come up with a 'kit' propoal, buildable from off-the-shelf components.  Perhaps someone could even start a modest business assembling and selling them.  I don't know if this is feasible, but  it's clear that it would be huge advantage if every militia group, and similar 'emergency response' group, could have a couple of dozen of these available.  But for that, they need to be standardized, and people need to be able simply to buy them -- if they have to learn how to use a soldering iron, etc.  then they'll remain a rarity.

Is what I'm proposing feasible?

Also: what is the maximum range -- given that you have the commo wire -- of a field phone?

16 hours ago, Doug1943 said:

Privately-operated landlines would be a very useful thing to have in a SHTF situation, from the point of view of reliability when other forms of communication may be down, and also from the point of view of security.  During WWI they were the main method of rapid communication between the front and HQ in the rear.

It would be good if someone who knows about these things could come up with a 'kit' propoal, buildable from off-the-shelf components.  Perhaps someone could even start a modest business assembling and selling them.  I don't know if this is feasible, but  it's clear that it would be huge advantage if every militia group, and similar 'emergency response' group, could have a couple of dozen of these available.  But for that, they need to be standardized, and people need to be able simply to buy them -- if they have to learn how to use a soldering iron, etc.  then they'll remain a rarity.

Is what I'm proposing feasible?

Also: what is the maximum range -- given that you have the commo wire -- of a field phone?

An Army field phone has a distance of 22 miles dry.  No I don't think it is feasible on a production basis.  Your right about the soldering.  With all that work it was easier to buy the PABX.  Using the PABX and modern telephone, I do not know what the range is.  My use will be for basecamp HQ or a bug out retreat where I will have an invertor, battery and solar panels to power the PABX.  LP/OP on a patrol that is bedded down for example will use a FRS/GMRS radio to give a SALUTE report.

ta 312 TM_11-5805-201-12.pdf