Swamp Fox

Tampon Wound Packing

So how many have you heard of using a tampon for wound packing?  How many of you think a tampon is sterile?  If your medics or you plan on using tampons you are giving a death sentence to those that have survivable wounds.  After SHTF we most likely will not have access to hospitals or even antibiotic s(unless you plan ahead).  We should be planning a head now acquiring the proper supplies to handle battle field wounds and of course the boo boo supplies.  Here are two videos by medical personell.  The first by Doctor Alton and the second by Skinny Medic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeHkVNVJSxU&feature=em-uploademail

Author of the topic Posted
50 minutes ago, Let_Freedom_Ring said:

TAMPONS: FOR DRAMA, NOT TRAUMA!

Why using a tampon for a bullet hole is a bad idea:

https://www.personaldefensenetwork.com/article/severe-bleeding-first-aid-misconceptions-tampons/

Excellent article

On 9/25/2019 at 3:05 PM, Vodka Wizard said:

When gauze is so effective and cheap, why bother?

Totally agree.  If you have time to go to the store and buy tampons, you have time to go to Dollar Tree and buy "STERILE" rolled gauze for a dollar.  Something else to consider is that the tampons are way expensive compared to the healthy and sterile alternatives.  It is actually cheaper to buy the medical gauze.

If however you were unprepared and for some God forsaken reason all you had was a tampon then yah, you gotta do what you gotta do.  If your going to carry first aid then carry the proper stuff like sterile bandages and field dressings.  

Based on the replies I strongly recommend you guys take a TCCC class. 

If you don’t have an IFAK as part of your kit or in your vehicle or in your 72h bag, whatever you should have. 

Minimum 2 CAT tourniquets. 2 is one, one is none. 

North American rescue is widely accepted. Recon is also a lesser known brand but also seems to be good quality. Do not buy unnamed look alike tourniquets off amazon or eBay. 

Celox rapid Z folded gauze is a hemostatic wound packing gauze to be used on the extremities. It’ll shut down an artery bleed in under a minute. Do not use it near the intestines, or other internal organs. It absorbs moisture to congeal blood and will dry out your organs killing them and you. Not my words, words from a ranger paramedic that taught the TCCC class I took. 

Israeli bandages x2 

Battle field proven pressure bandages that can also be used a tourniquets. 

North American rescue hyfin vent chest seal. One seal for entry and exit chest wound. 

Hyper-pneumothorax is nothing to mess with, a sucking chest wounds will kill a person in minutes. Hyfin chest seals are triple vented and will stick to skin on wet and bloody skin. 

Yeah thats a good start, way better than having a cotton string hanging out of a gsw. 

10 hours ago, 99cobra2881 said:

Based on the replies I strongly recommend you guys take a TCCC class. 

If you don’t have an IFAK as part of your kit or in your vehicle or in your 72h bag, whatever you should have. 

Minimum 2 CAT tourniquets. 2 is one, one is none. 

North American rescue is widely accepted. Recon is also a lesser known brand but also seems to be good quality. Do not buy unnamed look alike tourniquets off amazon or eBay. 

Celox rapid Z folded gauze is a hemostatic wound packing gauze to be used on the extremities. It’ll shut down an artery bleed in under a minute. Do not use it near the intestines, or other internal organs. It absorbs moisture to congeal blood and will dry out your organs killing them and you. Not my words, words from a ranger paramedic that taught the TCCC class I took. 

Israeli bandages x2 

Battle field proven pressure bandages that can also be used a tourniquets. 

North American rescue hyfin vent chest seal. One seal for entry and exit chest wound. 

Hyper-pneumothorax is nothing to mess with, a sucking chest wounds will kill a person in minutes. Hyfin chest seals are triple vented and will stick to skin on wet and bloody skin. 

Yeah thats a good start, way better than having a cotton string hanging out of a gsw. 

Once upon a time I was a combat medic, LoL.  I invented TCCC

That’s good. I would encourage you to espouse your knowledge here to help train others. 

Lots of advancements in TCCC have been been made since the GWOT began in ‘01. Saved countless lives that in previous conflicts would’ve been lost. 

Get a tourniquet on and then assess the wound. Don’t wait until it’s too late! 

On 9/27/2019 at 12:23 PM, LetFreedomRing said:

If however you were unprepared and for some God forsaken reason all you had was a tampon then yah, you gotta do what you gotta do.  If your going to carry first aid then carry the proper stuff like sterile bandages and field dressings.  

Yeh but it’s almost 100% certain that it’s not going to work.

why are we stuffing foreign shit into a big gaping hole in the body?  For the most part we’re trying to completely fill the void in order to make pressure more effective in occluding , stopping, blood flow.  

Edit to add it's very unlikely a tampon will be the correct size to fill the cavity it's with going to be too small and not effective or too big and you'll be unable to get it in or cause more damage if you do get it in 

1 hour ago, Claw Hammer said:

Hit up a surplus store and get gauze and wraps.  You can at least make your own. 

For the most without emergency care and hospital.  You will die. 

Hit up Dollar Tree and get gauze and wraps.

On 12/18/2019 at 9:02 AM, Swamp Fox said:

Once upon a time I was a combat medic, LoL.  I invented TCCC

You'd be amazed at how much stuff has evolved. Combat medicine I learned in 2008 is now completely obsolete in some aspects. Medicine is a muscle, you have to use it or you lose it. 

45 minutes ago, Swamp Fox said:

Hit up Dollar Tree and get gauze and wraps.

Yeah that's good for small amounts.  Look up a medical supply store or discount place and maybe they sell it in bulk.  Trust me you will never not have enough 

17 hours ago, Vodka Wizard said:

You'd be amazed at how much stuff has evolved. Combat medicine I learned in 2008 is now completely obsolete in some aspects. Medicine is a muscle, you have to use it or you lose it. 

Yeah, I totally agree but my comment was meant as a joke.  All training is a muscle, use it or lose it.  That is why I started a militia group.  I was starting to lose my skills.  I figured with militia training and teaching classes I will regain most of them back.

17 hours ago, Claw Hammer said:

Yeah that's good for small amounts.  Look up a medical supply store or discount place and maybe they sell it in bulk.  Trust me you will never not have enough 

A lot of people cant afford to buy in bulk.  If they at least start with sterile gauze and a wrap they are on their journey.  Dollar Tree is a good starting point.  But otherwise I agree with you.  I just bought 10 4" Israeli Bandages for $30.00.  That makes it $3.00 each which= affordable.  I am passing the saving to my militia group for those interested in buying them.