fixer

Mentalities - Poll 1

Mentalities - Poll 1  

73 members have voted

1. 1. You walk into a room to find a jerk cussing out your best friend… and your friend didn’t do anything wrong! They both leave the room through separate doors. Who is the FIRST person you follow?

• My Friend
    • The Jerk

1st: I need to know WTF is up if anything. (I sometimes say FU to a good friend. My way of saying hi.)

2nd: Dude may have set an ambush in advance, if this turns out to be an issue with history.

3rd: Never lose sight of a friend unless it is part of a plan.

4th: You need information or you're just a walking problem. Maybe even in the way of your buddy's plan.

5th: You need to know if buddy is the dumb ass here. (Friends do stupid shit that they need you to tune up)

6th: You don't have any INTEL. Go get some.

7th: By using common sense, even if there is an issue to deal with, you may be able to solve it with a beer. ( My personal favorite, for problem solving amongst friend and foe alike.)

1 hour ago, fixer said:

going to the friend could be seen as avoiding confrontation?

Going into a confrontation without knowing as many facts about the situation could lead to an even worse situation.  Maybe the friend was at fault and the true jerk, or maybe it's something best to be avoided.  Maybe the "jerk" is a cop and you will end up getting arrested for being confrontational with them.

“who wishes to fight must first count the cost”
 Sun Tzu, The Art of War

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”
 Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Author of the topic Posted
16 minutes ago, Let_Freedom_Ring said:

Going into a confrontation without knowing as many facts about the situation could lead to an even worse situation.  Maybe the friend was at fault and the true jerk, or maybe it's something best to be avoided.  Maybe the "jerk" is a cop and you will end up getting arrested for being confrontational with them.

“who wishes to fight must first count the cost”
 Sun Tzu, The Art of War

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”
 Sun Tzu, The Art of War

what if it was your wife?

There were so many people in this store that the possibility of a "miss" ... with all that adrenaline flowing ... was very high.  I give him credit for not actually firing his weapon.  Always, always, always ... situational awareness.

On 10/5/2019 at 11:38 AM, Let_Freedom_Ring said:

My friend because I want to hear from them first what the event and situation was / is all about.

I concur with this.

On 10/5/2019 at 4:47 PM, fixer said:

what if it was your wife?

He would not have made it out the door. Game on immediately, whether I take the ass whipping or give it.  Doesn't matter who was right or wrong. I know my wife well enough, she's not one to put me in harm's way for entertainment like this new generation of brain dead pill-head girlfriends. If someone is cursing my wife, it will be undeserved.

But let's just say he did make it out the door. I would hope I do not go charging into an unknown environment not knowing what's out there. In today's society, violating your "space required to maintain safety"  is the norm. You can't go to Wal-Mart thinking you're safe when anyone walking by could chuck you in the head with a blunt object, or like the woman in the video above, shoot you.

Every day we trust other people with out lives, whether it be an airplane pilot we never see, or the hundred people that walk behind you in Wal-Mart. 

Be aware as best you can, and leave your cell phones in your pocket. Walking around with your head down is a recipe for disaster...

I had a big problem a few years back dealing with this sort of reasoning. In my mind I was my family's last line of defense. You get by me, you get them. I had been on a prolonged "high alert" state of mind for months. I was ragged. I had become irrational because trying to guard everyone from everything is, first impossible, and two, impossible. I was literally sleeping int he floor with my gun in my hand.

Then a wise fella told me, You know. You're right. All those dangers you think exist, DO exist. But have you ever thought about what the chances are of them happening to YOU?"

That made me think. 

Now I'm alot more at peace... but I still recognize that in today's world, things are different. Try to exercise your intelligence as best you can, and that still wouldn't be good enough if someone has their sights on you in Wal-Mart. Do the best you can, within reason, and enjoy life. Yes there are crazies out there. Just be aware.

The video of the Wally world shooter has made me think... Try never to fall for the diversion alone. Every time we meet face to face with an event (in this case the shooter walking in loudly proclaiming himself), find cover. Access the situation. Tough call on the Wally World thing. If I had family in there, it would be tense and hard to keep your head about you. Training would be key, but let's face it, most people haven't trained in a situation like that.

Edited by Matt In West Virginia
added a sentence on the end

I would follow the jerk.  I know my friend and trust them to be okay.  I don’t know the jerk and would follow and watch.  I would consider this a “do not engage” situation.  Then I would talk to my friend. There are so many ways to handle a situation peacefully