Not sure what section to put this topic in as this isn't a 'weapon' but it also isn't survival or tactical either, haha.  Figured this was close enough.

What brands and cuts/styles are you running for carriers and plates?  

Any fellow Ranger Green lovers out there?  

I have three - a Condor MOCP in coyote, a BDS V-OPS in Ranger Green, and a surplus British Osprey MK4.  The BDS is the most comfortable of the three.  

I'm running AR500 plates.  Level III+ on front and back, level III on the sides.  Only got the build up on the front plate.  Other plates have the standard coating.  

https://www.bdstacticalgear.com/pd-bds-tactical-advanced-plate-carrier-chest-rig.cfm

I like the metal III+ plates better over all for civilian / private use, especially the newer lighter steel version.  They can take multiple hits and still be effective.  Also if you drop them it doesn't weaken their integrity.  This can be very important if you are tactical for a long time and no way to resupply armor.  If you have the bucks, getting a level IIIA ballistic vest that doubles as a plate carrier is a great idea.  Then if you are not using the plates, you still have pistol and knife protection in your tactical vest.  This company makes these custom fit to your personal measurements so it's not too tight and not too loose in all the right places.  Even bigger guys can get a custom fit here, it will cost a little more for more material, but better than nothing or some thing that is too small and doesn't fit right or doesn't cover everything it should.

http://www.bulletproofme.com/TACTICAL_Body_Armor.shtml#ProMAX-Tactical

image.png.47dda3b29bce9aef7e8ca22451984581.png

image.png.4a4c76fdb8e58f8bbd894bfa48b0dbdf.png

image.thumb.png.a86711b98d05426bb9605bfd278bc495.png

Has anyone heard any negative things about the plates.  The snobbery groups have been talking about using ceramics and I'll consider getting a set for a lighter plate setup.  I do have other plates as well. 

1 hour ago, Claw Hammer said:

Has anyone heard any negative things about the plates.  The snobbery groups have been talking about using ceramics and I'll consider getting a set for a lighter plate setup.  I do have other plates as well. 

Other than being heavier than the ceramics and concerns about spawlling, no.  With the newer lightweight steel plates though there isn't that much difference in the weights between them and most ceramics.  As to spawlling if you have a heavy anti-spawlling build up it usually takes 5 or 6 hits before any fragments start going out the sides.  Even then, it's still stopping rounds from entering your body while most ceramics start getting penetration after 4 or 5 hits.  Another plus for ceramics over steel is that many of them are buoyant.  But how often are you going to be fording a river while armored up?

I'm looking into getting some III+ for side plates at some point.  Given that I'm more likely to encounter a 5.56 round than 7.62... the higher threat protection makes more sense.  The level III is leaving a bit to be desired as M193 can punch through it.  Then again, I've seen a lot of folks omit side plates altogether given the weight issue that comes with carrying additional steel.  I'd rather have the extra weight if it means a little more protection against a round in the ribs.  

I haven't looked into ceramic as the cost is prohibitive in my case and I'm not as concerned about spall/fragmentation.  I have heavy build up in the front.  Sides and back is standard layer of spray rubber line-x stuff they use.  From what I've seen online with steel plates most of the splatter that occurs seems to spray outwards on an angle rather than directly up and to the sides.  You'd have to contort yourself quite a bit to take much if any splatter to the face from a round hitting your chest plate.  Arms might get boogered up a bit, but, better than a hole in your chest.  

I've heard concerns with steel plates about ricochet.  But, haven't seen any examples of that actually occurring in real life.  I suppose it's a statistical probability.  

The US military says a ceramic plate is considered unserviceable at 3 hits regardless of caliber.  I did serve with people that talked about cracking their ceramic plates just from wearing them and repeatedly dropping down into the prone.  I do like the prolonged life you can get from steel plates but do not own any currently.  Do I have body armor for use?  Yes, I do but will not say what type for OPSEC.  I have been trying to get some of the old PASGT Frag Vests for my spares pile to pass out when needed.  It isn't the best but is better than nothing.

I will mention that https://www.sportsmansguide.com/

has been getting in and selling Kevlar body armor from Europe and sometimes includes the steel plates for them.  The prices are pretty good for anyone looking for a set. 

Edited by SecurityGuy42
misspellings

That would be pretty cool.   I picked up a iba and have a plate carrier as well.   Just curious about it all.

Our plates would almost crack just dropping your iba or iotv.