fixer

SHTF - Best Survival Vehicle Attributes and Options

69-73 ford f250 4wd 300ci engine....camper/topper,  6" lift  33" plus tires, BIG WINCH ...etc.

nice to have dif lockers and aux saddle tanks....I had a 70 f250 camper special 3 gas tanks 72 gal.

Its not my dream vehicle,  but its practical.

88 Jeep Cherokee. 6 in teraflex tubular 4link lift, diff covers, 4.0 ho 6 cyl, heavy-duty home made deer catcher, reece hitch front and rear for winch, homemade roof rack, 33 in super swampers. To many goodies to list ( ;

Your most valuable asset would be a motorcycle or ATV. Scouting with a fullsize vehicle is very costly on fuel, and you can't keep yourself hidden very well. The chance you would evade a possible pursuer is slim without being able to fight at that time. The option of returning to your home fortification drawing a whole group of people back to it is not very pleasant.

The ultimate choice of SHTF vehicle would depend upon your lifestyle. Are you going to live like the Plains Indians and migrate everywhere looking for resources as you go or are you going to live out of your vehicle like a trailerhouse/motorhome?

Gotta tell this, could be helpful. I rebuilt my Chevy 350 in '98, 9 to 1 comp, World Products S/R heads, low to mid range cam for towing, distributor curve kit, and that adjustable cam timing gear. Summer '99 I ran out of gas a mile from home. Didn't  want to walk, so I dumped a gallon of kerosene in the tank. Started and ran, only 30 mph, pinged just a bit. Topped off with gas, ran that motor hard until 2014, hauled many 4,000 pound loads of firewood with it, once hauled a load of sand, 4,200 pounds, with 2.73 rears I was experimenting with for mileage, once grossed 23,000 pounds with a trailer load of scrap 14 miles. Tough motor, had it in my van for the last few years before selling it for a race motor in 2014. Didn't  use oil, stopped spinning soon as you turned ignition off. Boiled the water out once when stuck.

I said all that to say, I'm  wondering, if, in case of bad conditions and gas shortage, if you couldn't  use kerosene with a 10 to 1 or higher, the right cam timing, dist. curve, and hd heads. A turbine helicopter engine will run a good long while on kerosene, and a couple hours on straight gas, then a complete teardown is required. Just something to think about, just in case.

LAV-25A2, The Marines are looking to replace these so they should be selling a lot cheaper soon!  😉

The M240 MG gunner on here is showing off a bit.  They should be firing 7 to 9 round bursts.