fixer

What do you do? - Nuclear Attack

I guess most will place their head between their legs and kiss the rear goodbye LOL

not sure how well you are prepared if you can even make it to your location

who wants to live in a dungeon until it subsides, Id be crawling the walls...

hopefully this scenario never comes true

I would get a quick wind and weather forecast, seek the best shelter I could, and wait. Anything within 5 miles is basically death. Outside of that, you'll want to know wind direction and weather forecasts. Head into the wind if that's away from the blast, otherwise head perpendicular to the wind and away from the blast. That's about all one can do without a bomb shelter. 

Here is something you can do right now. It's easy, and it doesn't cost much, and it could be important.

A nuclear explosion, or an accident at a nuclear power plant which results in a release of radioactivity,  will result

in the release of the radioactive isotope Iodine 131.  (This is because this isotope is part of the decay products of

the fission of uranium and plutonium.) This happened during Chernobyl and Fukashima, as well as from atmospheric

nuclear testing.  A nuclear exchange anywhere on the planet -- between India and Pakistan, say, or Iran and Saudi

Arabia - could release Iodine 131 into the atmosphere, to come down on you, not to mention an attack on the US.

The problem is your thyroid gland gobbles up all the iodine it can get, so this radioactive isotope will become

concentrated there.  The World Health Organization reported on what happened after Chernobyl:

A large increase in the incidence of thyroid cancer has occurred among people who were young children and adolescents at the time of the accident and lived in the most contaminated areas of Belarus, the Russian Federation and Ukraine. This was due to the high levels of radioactive iodine released from the Chernobyl reactor in the early days after the accident. Radioactive iodine was deposited in pastures eaten by cows who then concentrated it in their milk which was subsequently drunk by children. This was further exacerbated by a general iodine deficiency in the local diet causing more of the radioactive iodine to be accumulated in the thyroid. Since radioactive iodine is short lived, if people had stopped giving locally supplied contaminated milk to children for a few months following the accident, it is likely that most of the increase in radiation-induced thyroid cancer would not have resulted.

Iodine 131 has a half-life of about eight days. That is, half of it will have 'decayed' after eight days ... after another eight days, half of the remainder will have decayed, leaving a quarter of the original.  It will be down to miniscule levels after about three months.

What can you do about it, besides not eating food which may be contaminated with fallout? Easy: take iodine pills, so your thyroid is getting all the (safe) iodine it wants.

Get on line to your favorite vitamin supplier and get a bottle of potassium iodide tablets. They're not expensive, about ten cents a tablet. The shelf life is officially five years, but seems to be forever, in practice.

Further information:

http://www.doctoryourself.com/fallout.html   --- good explanation of thyroid and iodine and radioactive decay

https://www.nrc.gov/about-nrc/emerg-preparedness/about-emerg-preparedness/potassium-iodide/ki-faq.html   ---- The gummint view

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iodine-131      ---- For those who want to look more deeply into the technical side.

https://www.who.int/ionizing_radiation/chernobyl/backgrounder/en/    ---- The W.H.O. report

I don't live in town and my local town isn't a nuke target so I have some distance from a nuke target(about 50 miles away).  If my family were out and about I would recall them.  I would then Take sheet plastic and seal all the windows and doors except for the main door(for the moment).  As the family came in I would I would issue them their NBC bag, gas mask and have them take their iodine pill.  The basement would now be the main living area.  I would assign someone to monitor the news/radio for updates.  When appropriate go to MOPP 4.

Now if any family members came back dirty I would have them take a shower in the garage.  If we still have power then have them take a second longer shower in the house.  Then issue the same equipment as above.

My downfall is not having radiation monitoring equipment so we would have to take it day by day.

On 12/24/2019 at 12:38 PM, fixer said:

Let's say it's 2 p.m. on a Sunday afternoon and you receive an emergency alert on your cellphone indicating that there has been a nuclear explosion in the next town or that an intercontinental ballistic missile is headed your way.

What do you do? Tell us about it below....

Ok,  a Prepper Question.. ;-D you will deal with Possible HEMP event, no electronics, electricity, most cars Dead, no refrigeration, no medical centers, no cell phone. 

If its 2pm it just gets Quiet. Your watch will stop, some say Pacemakers quit. Better get your weapon, get to your family, and either Bug out or Dig in. Ive Read 1 second After by william Forsyth. and other Books it wont take long to get Ugly. Meds would Run out, no insulin, no resupply,  planes Crash. IT WOULD SUCK! it would last maybe 2 years maybe more after the damages. 

On 12/25/2019 at 10:45 PM, VTConcernedCitizen said:

I guess most will place their head between their legs and kiss the rear goodbye LOL

not sure how well you are prepared if you can even make it to your location

who wants to live in a dungeon until it subsides, Id be crawling the walls...

hopefully this scenario never comes true

Get drunk as All get out, and grab the wife and get to humpin before you try and Kiss Yer own backside..

Radiation monitoring is one of these things that are best done by someone with the right gear and training, who then keeps everyone else informed.

In other words, it's EXACTLY THE KIND OF THING THAT A LOCAL MILITIA SHOULD BE EQUIPPED TO DO.

So I would think that a militia unit which has reached the size where it can sustain this sort of thing, would get two or three of its people trained and equipped to do radiation monitoring. (More than one, for obvious reasons.)  And of course a well-organized militia will have methods of keeping all its supporters in a communication net.

Note: don't think that buying a surplus Geiger counter is enough.  Many of the ones you can get on eBay are not accurate, or not able to measure the actual doses of radiation that would be a danger.  You've got to get professional training or its equivalent.

If someone knows about this subject in detail it would be very useful to post their knowledge here. (There is useful information available on the internet but it may be out of date.)

On 12/30/2019 at 12:34 AM, Bear7 said:

EMP-map.jpg

That's just a *HS* moment right there.

I'm dealing with a slap in the face this moment. I'd be up the creek. Let's face it. It'll take serious prep to have a place impervious to radiation with enough food and it's own fresh water supply to make it. Such a place can be made in WV. We have water coming out of the ground everywhere... but having the test equipment, supplies and fortifications in a dwelling to survive? That'll take some work.

One pop from an emp such as the example above... and bam. You're in it, ready or not.

On 12/29/2019 at 10:34 PM, Bear7 said:

EMP-map.jpg

Keep in mind the above image shows areas effected *by at what height the HEMP (High-altitude Electro Magnetic Pulse) weapon is detonated at*. A nuclear EMP attack on the U.S. would most certainly be 300+ miles up. EMP and HEMP Do Not have fallout of any kind as they are explosions very high in the atmosphere. It is the E1 Gamma particles produced which will effect non-hardened electronics. Gamma pose no threat of radiation to people, livestock or pets. It is also the most likely nuclear attack against us.

This is a subject I have studied and researched for many years.

And a subject for it's own thread, as this is about dealing with ground blast nuclear events and fallout.

On 12/24/2019 at 11:38 AM, fixer said:

Let's say it's 2 p.m. on a Sunday afternoon and you receive an emergency alert on your cellphone indicating that there has been a nuclear explosion in the next town or that an intercontinental ballistic missile is headed your way.

What do you do? Tell us about it below....

Grab some water and find the nearest fallout shelter, usually in a large high school basement....I know where mine is closest to my house.

Posted (edited)

Browns ferry Nuclear reactor is 5 miles from my house. Redstone Army Arsenal is 25 miles to the east. There would be no escape for me and my family. We would hold hands, pray, and prepare to die. Sadly but honestly there is no other option for us. Even  if we had a 'bunker' or a underground shelter, we would have to dig half way to China to be protected from the blast. After that the radiation for the above mentioned places would make life here untenable. 

Edited by Idlestorm
To add a little bit more insight to what it would be like