BEST NORTH AMERICAN USA CAMO PATTERNS

SCORPION OCP
MULTICAM
WOODLAND DIGITAL / DIGITAL WOODLAND, US MARINE WOODLAND MARAPAT
A-TACS
WOODLAND
REALTREE - EDGE
MOSSY OAK - OBSESSION

Highly Recommended, some king of insulated snow camouflage parka and bib overalls.

BEST NORTH AMERICAN USA CAMO PATTERNS.pdf

"In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot.” ― Mark Twain

"I prefer dangerous FREEDOM over peaceful SLAVERY" -Thomas Jefferson

"Si vis pacem para bellum" - Every wise warrior there ever was.

lfr.jpg.91d35fb0dbad2fa6e5cc5b2544ce55d5.jpg

lfr.jpg

I live in the woods in summer.  The predominant color is dark green--like fir foliage.  I am not sold on camo.  If I wear dark green shirt, knit cap and very dark green pants, and simply stand behind a branch, I am almost invisible.  When I move in that setting, all you see is a shadow.  But in camo and moving, your eye is attracted to any multicolor and so you are more visible.  

How wrong am I?

If we're getting into a discussion on camo I feel it needs to be a big more in depth than just putting a list out.  I only mention this because I see faux pas all the time.  The most recent offender was a map of the US someone posted with areas filled in with what the creator thought was the best camo pattern in each area.  It had more wrong than right.  Additionally, I've seem people hunting or participating in things like Paintball that stand out like a sore thumb with the wrong color or pattern.  Might be good to use these forums to compile a list like that with everyone chipping in.  Especially for anyone that's looking to move somewhere else or travels a lot.  

Just to start stuff off I'll give a mention to Multicam for my area of Eastern Washington.  I mention this because of how varied the terrain can be here.  In just one day of hunting I can start out in an area where Flecktarn is king, get into some green tiger stripe areas or woodland, multicam, and finish the day of stalking in an area where desert/chocolate chip is perfect.  I personally think Kryptek Mandrake works better than Multicam but good luck finding all the clothing and equipment you want in that camo pattern.  

I'm still trying to narrow down the best pattern for winter time here.  

Author of the topic Posted

The best camo varies from area to area and season to season of course.  This is just to get people talking about what they use in their areas that work best.  Thanks!

"In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot.” ― Mark Twain

lfr.jpg

Author of the topic Posted
On 1/10/2020 at 6:02 PM, Bergmeister said:

I live in the woods in summer.  The predominant color is dark green--like fir foliage.  I am not sold on camo.  If I wear dark green shirt, knit cap and very dark green pants, and simply stand behind a branch, I am almost invisible.  When I move in that setting, all you see is a shadow.  But in camo and moving, your eye is attracted to any multicolor and so you are more visible.  

How wrong am I?

If that works for you in your area to your satisfaction, then you are right!

lfr.jpg

On 1/10/2020 at 4:02 PM, Bergmeister said:

How wrong am I?

I ve had similar experience with solid color in south Florida swamp areas ....would take old school OD uniforms and dye them about two shades darker, sometimes with a slight tyedye affect worked best.

5 hours ago, Dav Harzin said:

seem the army  UCP digital pattern works fairly good in the desert SW...Im working on some slight mods, by adding some gray blotches.

Do you mean the ACU pattern? We didn't notice it's help in Iraq.

I have in my inventory:  M81 Woodland, 6 Color Desert, Desert Tiger Stripe, Jungle Tiger Stripe, and Digital ABU.  I do have some white gear stored away ... not that I'll see much snow now that I'm down south.  I have some OD and Coyote color clothing as well.  

The desert patterns work well in the fall and winter environments where the temp drops out but has little snowfall accumulation - things here in my section of AR are pretty much tan, brown, and grey with some patches of green.  Even up north, when the snow wasn't falling during a mild winter... aside from the evergreen trees and some bushes... things were mostly brown and tan.  So even up north I had my desert pattern gear for that purpose.  

I like Flecktarn, but, I am cautious about using European camo patterns as that could be mistaken for foreign unfriendly forces.  

ABU and UCP have environments that they work alright in...

abu snow.png

5 minutes ago, RevRifleman said:

I have in my inventory:  M81 Woodland, 6 Color Desert, Desert Tiger Stripe, Jungle Tiger Stripe, and Digital ABU.  I do have some white gear stored away ... not that I'll see much snow now that I'm down south.  I have some OD and Coyote color clothing as well.  

The desert patterns work well in the fall and winter environments where the temp drops out but has little snowfall accumulation - things here in my section of AR are pretty much tan, brown, and grey with some patches of green.  Even up north, when the snow wasn't falling during a mild winter... aside from the evergreen trees and some bushes... things were mostly brown and tan.  So even up north I had my desert pattern gear for that purpose.  

I like Flecktarn, but, I am cautious about using European camo patterns as that could be mistaken for foreign unfriendly forces.  

abu snow.png

Honestly 99 percent of Americans dont know how to tell the variants of Camo.  They see one thing and think your military. 

7 hours ago, Dav Harzin said:

I ve had similar experience with solid color in south Florida swamp areas ....would take old school OD uniforms and dye them about two shades darker, sometimes with a slight tyedye affect worked best.

are you using traditional bdu?

49 minutes ago, RevRifleman said:

abu snow.png

for ppl of euro decent yes this cold be an issue, but you can prob tell youre american based on other visible factors like height weight weaponry and overall setup

52 minutes ago, Dav Harzin said:

yeah ACU....out with no plantlife ACU does outline, hence why Im tryin some gray and maybe light rust color large blotches.

Acu is the term for all combat uniforms.    What your referring to is ucp.  Universal camouflage .   It was ok but just dye it

Camo only does so much with so much kit on and so many sharp lines, pouches with shadows. I personally think it’s better to have a mesh sniper veil in a cargo pocket to quickly put on to break up the outline of the human body. 

Add Local vegetation into the mesh to further improve camouflage.  

6 hours ago, Whiskey6 said:

Do you mean the ACU pattern? We didn't notice it's help in Iraq.

If I'm not mistaken the ACU is the Army Combat Uniform, which is a particular cut (slanted chest pockets, stand-up collar, no bottom pockets, velcro cuffs etc.) of uniform.  The UCP is the Universal Camouflage Pattern which is a digital design with cream and gray color scheme.   Don't be too hard on me if I'm wrong... I wore olive green starched cotton utililities when I was in.

Two issues are at the heart of the issue, for me anyway: shape and movement.  Obviously neon purple is going stand out, but you could be wearing a Carhartt chore coat or tan windbreaker and if you're very still and even partially shielded by a branch, you'll be hard to spot.  Mottled colors are even better at adding concealment, but not necessary.  Over at youtube Brent0331 has a whole series of camo reviews.

Somebody above mentioned a net or veil... great idea: even tie some burlap strips or string/knitting yarn into it.

Edited by John Last

Do you all think it might be a good idea to avoid camo in favor of earth tone regular clothing? I imagine being able to act as a partisan that can fight and leave operation and walk among a populace without raising much alarm is a good thing. Maybe keep an assault ghillie on you for donning doffing of some quicker camo? 

17 hours ago, RustySHackleford said:

Do you all think it might be a good idea to avoid camo in favor of earth tone regular clothing? I imagine being able to act as a partisan that can fight and leave operation and walk among a populace without raising much alarm is a good thing. Maybe keep an assault ghillie on you for donning doffing of some quicker camo? 

yep I keep some 'grey man'  and even some loud obnoxious stuff xx lg,  so I can slip it on rather quickly, in the pack...never know when ya have to blend in.

19 hours ago, RustySHackleford said:

Honestly... it depends on what you are doing and the circumstances you find yourself in.

I have both.  Both serve a purpose.  If I never have to use them for combat or survival purposes... that's the best case scenario.  I'd rather wear jeans and a flannel than anything else.  Your needs and expectations will dictate what you wear.  As much as camo is supposed to help you hide... it also helps you (in theory) identify who you are not supposed to shoot at.  

I've often flirted with the idea of patterns like those offered from Kryptek and A-TACS being a good standard for Militia's to consider... as they aren't distinctly military patterns but seem to have some legs in regards to usefulness.  But, it's hard to get away from those sexy Mil patterns.  

Camouflage

0543.jpg

Let's face it. If you're a sniper and you're spotted you're probably as good as dead, especially if the guy who spotted you alerts his entire squad. You may be an excellent long-range fighter, but there's not much you can do when the enemy closes the distance and assaults your position with automatic weapons.

The purpose of a sniper's camouflage is to keep him alive while he gathers intelligence and picks off enemy combatants. How the sniper decides to camouflage himself is solely left to his discretion. Each environment may call for a different type of camouflage and tactical gear.

For example, if you're fighting in a wooded environment then you should camouflage yourself with sticks and leaves. If you're fighting in a snowy environment, then an all-white Ghillie suit will be your best friend.

When camouflaging yourself, you have to cover not only your entire body but also your weapon and equipment as well. The whole point is to remain undetected from the moment the mission begins until the mission ends and it's time for extraction.

0622.jpg