wquon

Where to begin with plates?

7 hours ago, Patriot1069 said:

While doing my research into the ballistic testing, I found they used 6 shots and it held up.  The #1099 I think covers the M855A1.  I know it covers the M855 civilian round. The big selling point was the disbursed kinetic energy.  I don’t want to get knocked down with a single round and try to scramble to get back into shooting stance. I’ll do the vac bag with a piece of gorilla tape around the edge for added skin thickness at the fray points. The #1099 has an NIJ rating of .07 so it is right where you said I should get.  Thanks for the advise now I know more about the different kinds of plates and the advantages.

Expect any rifle hit on any plate to hurt like hell and leave one helluva bruise at the minimum. Seriously, you'll think at first your plate failed and you were shot. That energy being distributed over a greater area is going to make it less likely you'll suffer from serious tissue, bone, or thoracic traumatic impact damage.  So train to seek cover regardless and once behind cover asses yourself.

Instead of gorilla tape use silk style surgical tape like durapore. The adhesive in the gorilla tape is slightly acidic and over time will become one helluva sticky mess, sort of like 90 mph tape on gear straps. The silk stuff eventually just kind of dries out, frays, and falls off when it's trashed.  But the bag isn't going to be affected, and even if the bag wear through just cut it off and redo it.

13 hours ago, Skillet said:

Expect any rifle hit on any plate to hurt like hell and leave one helluva bruise at the minimum. Seriously, you'll think at first your plate failed and you were shot. That energy being distributed over a greater area is going to make it less likely you'll suffer from serious tissue, bone, or thoracic traumatic impact damage.  So train to seek cover regardless and once behind cover asses yourself.

Instead of gorilla tape use silk style surgical tape like durapore. The adhesive in the gorilla tape is slightly acidic and over time will become one helluva sticky mess, sort of like 90 mph tape on gear straps. The silk stuff eventually just kind of dries out, frays, and falls off when it's trashed.  But the bag isn't going to be affected, and even if the bag wear through just cut it off and redo it.

I talked to my friend and he also told me to expect a couple broken ribs.  If it keeps me in the action then I’m good with that.  The one thing I’m good at is being aware of the surroundings.  Had to learn that from bullets flying out of nowhere while hunting.  No need to test the rig if I don’t have to.  I’ll be picking up some durapore this weekend.  Thanks for the help.  Getting my gear together is harder than I thought.

53 minutes ago, Patriot1069 said:

I talked to my friend and he also told me to expect a couple broken ribs.  If it keeps me in the action then I’m good with that.  The one thing I’m good at is being aware of the surroundings.  Had to learn that from bullets flying out of nowhere while hunting.  No need to test the rig if I don’t have to.  I’ll be picking up some durapore this weekend.  Thanks for the help.  Getting my gear together is harder than I thought.

It's a constant evolution. Gain weight, lose weight, new gear comes out, you upgrade to some gucci gear, load changes, rifle type changes, etc. Best thing to do is set it up and then do some dry fire drills and reloads from all mag pouches in all firing positions. See if you can reach your IFAK, dump pouch, etc. Try low and high crawling in it. Wear it doing things like mowing the yard, jogging, anything that requires you to move on a consistent basis for an extended period of time. That will help you ID things like friction points and generally give you a good idea if your setup is functional and at least somewhat comfortable.

12 hours ago, wquon said:

@ Skillet @ Patriot1069 ive seen vids of plates stopping 7mm mag, all I can think about it "will I even survive that kind of concussive hit" lol

That's why real crash pads are so critical when using stand alone plates. There's plenty of different foam out there, and it's cheap to buy a sheet of thick neoprene and cut it to serve as a crash pad but it won't perform as well as a foam that is designed to absorb impact force.  I suspect the very economically priced pads AR500 sell to use with their steel plates are actually made of D30 foam (darn good stuff used in NASCAR and motorcycle racing) without the manufacturer branding. A good test of how it'll perform is put the pad on a concrete floor and punch it from a full swing with a closed fist. No pain? You're probably good to go. Trip to the ER? Keep shopping around 🤣

On ICW plates the kevlar inserts in the vest/PC actually help adsorb and distribute some of the force of impact,, but you won't get near the efficiency of a crash pad designed for the task.  

Edited by Skillet

I have a question that some of you guys might know. A few years ago I went to a local gun show and there was a new company coming out called DeathProof Body Armor. The Plates were actually manufactured in the town I live in but the carriers were manufactured in Jacksonville Florida. I have not been able to find a web presence from them. Do any of you guys know if they are even still open and if so how to contact them. I really liked their plate carriers.

Author of the topic Posted
1 hour ago, Ghost863 said:

I have a question that some of you guys might know. A few years ago I went to a local gun show and there was a new company coming out called DeathProof Body Armor. The Plates were actually manufactured in the town I live in but the carriers were manufactured in Jacksonville Florida. I have not been able to find a web presence from them. Do any of you guys know if they are even still open and if so how to contact them. I really liked their plate carriers.

this is the only thing I found on them. their parent company has a FB pag, but no website. no news on them since 2015.

59 minutes ago, wquon said:

this is the only thing I found on them. their parent company has a FB pag, but no website. no news on them since 2015.

I appreciate you taking the time to look, Unfortunately I do not have facebook so I will not be able to view it. I did find a test of a YT video of the plate and the guy actually shot one of the plates 68 times  with a 308 before plate failure. The plates from what the guy told me were AR500 with a ceramic coating.