Chris62

Enlistment Growth.

I spent ten years in the US Army of which 3 years I was a recruiter and retention officer.  You cant grow a formidable militia that can be taken seriously without recruitment and retention.  Maybe I'm wrong and understanding how you want to grow this when it has been very difficult to even locate a militia in my state.  I realize that maybe Vermont doesn't have much interest, but seriously could not find any information whatsoever.  I would appreciate any help in this matter so I can become an active member.  Thanks for anyone's help. 

The Light Foot Militia has several units listed in northern Vermont.  Not sure which groups are active or not.  That is one of the challenges... units form and then disperse.  It's been a challenge getting a lot of Militia units to put their information out for contact.  We're trying though.  We have some folks on here that post fairly regular from NH and VT.   Given your experience with the military, perhaps you could form a unit with a few of the other folks from that region if you can't find one to join in with.  

Thanks for your service and thanks for joining us here on the forum.  We've got a lot of work to do. Hope you'll join us in doing it.  

Link below to some of the Light Foot in VT.

http://www.lightfootmilitia.com/unit-locator-map.html

This is a serious problem.  Every voluntary organization in the world faces this problem. How to keep 'em, how to get more. 

We need to have a thread to discuss this, and make it a 'permanent' thread, and ask new people to contribute their ideas.

@Chris62: do you have any suggestions, based on your professional experience?

My own ideas, just to throw something out to start with:  every established militia unit should have at least ONE person designated as a recruiter, always looking for new opportunties to publicize the existence of the unit: by notices put up in laundromats or supermarket bulletin boards, at gun ranges; by contacting American Legion and VFW posts Republican Women's Clubs and similar groups and seeing if they would like a speaker to explain the militia  (we need a set of notes for such people, prepared in advance); 

Church groups are good models ... do you have a "greeter" who welcomes new people and makes them feel wanted? 

And there should be a retainer -- someone who thinks about ways to keep people coming.  A militia unit needs to offer people something: opportunties to train;social events; outings -- like the Virginia rally! -- it has to have pulling power.  Even an informal dinner every Wednesday night in a member's home, like church groups sometimes do. 

These are just some ideas.  This site should, in my opinion, aim to assemble a document on starting a militia, keeping it going, doing publicity and public relations in general. We could contact all the existing militia units and ask them to write up their own ideas, and then put together a "best practices" document.   We need to find groups that have been going for several years and which have shown in practice that they know how to survive and grow, and find out how they do it.

What do other people think?

On 1/21/2020 at 5:21 PM, Chris62 said:

I spent ten years in the US Army of which 3 years I was a recruiter and retention officer.  You cant grow a formidable militia that can be taken seriously without recruitment and retention.  Maybe I'm wrong and understanding how you want to grow this when it has been very difficult to even locate a militia in my state.  I realize that maybe Vermont doesn't have much interest, but seriously could not find any information whatsoever.  I would appreciate any help in this matter so I can become an active member.  Thanks for anyone's help. 

I saw this post yesterday and came back looking specifically for it today. I have an idea:

@Chris62 , would you be willing to "consult"? You have experience in enlistment and retention... that is EXACTLY the problem many of us are facing. My unit for example, is a brand new unit here where I live. We just had our 1st meeting the other day and have everything to do. Of course recruitment, retention and coms are at the very head of the list. From those things all else will spring.

What many of us desperately need is training in effective ways to recruit (how, where, etc.,), priorities to look for in recruits, being able to keep them interested and engaged after recruited, etc..

Are these areas in which you have knowledge? If so, MANY of us would benefit from your knowledge and would like your consultation on these matters. PLEASE PM me if you are interested in talking more about this.

Thank you Sir.

Matt Thompson
WV 1st

We need a general discussion on this. 

This gentleman's knowledge will be very valuable.  But note that recruitment and retention for something like the militia -- a voluntary group -- is quite different than recruitment and retention, especially retention, for the organized military.     Some things are the same  but many things are different.   In fact,  I would like to get advice from people who are involved in their local churches, who are able to keep up a healthy membership. 

Author of the topic Posted (edited)

Matt in West Virginia,

Has any group designed an MR?  It's a manual of fundamental rules and guidelines?  I realize that this site is a culmination of many different groups of people who are likeminded and very interested in the same goal.  This manual or handbook will depend on how regemented they want to be.  Everyone should be on the same page to form a brotherhood, a unity, a strength.  Without that you have unorganization from the start.  Maybe I'm being too military but a strong militia should be militant like.  Hopefully, with that will come recruitment and internment.   If you want to contact me you can through my email.  I would love to chat about some ideas.

Edited by Chris62

Author of the topic Posted (edited)

My wife just told me that I may be off topic.  But my feeling is, that if you have something to offer like guidelines or a manual.  That explains, this is us, this is what we are about, you may generate more interest.  Basically it's on the table.  This is us, this is what's expected etc.  I realize that your strength is generated from voluntary people who may oppose that.  That is a fact.  Unity comes with the understanding of the common core.  Without that you have nothing except an unorganized stand.

Edited by Chris62

while I will say you most likely have some skill sets that will definitely help out in getting folks, it's going to be different.

many ppl join the military due to perks & a paycheck, there isnt any of that in a militia. on top of this we all know those soldiers who have to be managed due to being inept or troublesome.

the militia is purely voluntary, which at times can be a double edged sword. finding people that will can be counted upon, who are teachable, & who are educated (in founding principles) is going to be a new experience. not to mention the stigma that is attached to the word militia vs military.

2 hours ago, Chris62 said:

Matt in West Virginia,

Has any group designed an MR?  It's a manual of fundamental rules and guidelines?  I realize that this site is a culmination of many different groups of people who are likeminded and very interested in the same goal.  This manual or handbook will depend on how regemented they want to be.  Everyone should be on the same page to form a brotherhood, a unity, a strength.  Without that you have unorganization from the start.  Maybe I'm being too military but a strong militia should be militant like.  Hopefully, with that will come recruitment and internment.   If you want to contact me you can through my email.  I would love to chat about some ideas.

I have to leave in a few minutes to take care of some things, but I am elated with your response, Sir. 

By "MR", I'm assuming you mean "media relations"? I have not nearly went through all the material here available for evaluation. But to my knowledge, there is no such guidelines for the American Militia regardless of our specific locations throughout the United States. I very much agree that what is first needed is to establish guidelines detailing how to reach very specific goals that can/should be part of every militia unit even if there are variances in peripheral purposes and intents. It is my experience that people are much more willing to follow when they can have confidence in the people that bear responsibility. If they know we are knowledgeable and responsible as leaders, they will be much more willing to listen, learn and even make sacrifices to achieve common goals. Again, to my knowledge, there is no guidelines set forth in formal fashion for the American Militia. It is something that "I" think needs to be established in CONCRETE, that all have a firm understanding of what we hope to achieve and how we are to get there. From THAT FOUNDATION, we can build as we customize the unique needs of each unit specific to location and need.

I think we very much need a military like focus and expectation that members will join the corporate passion that can drive us all. People will give of themselves much more when they are living for something slightly larger than we are individually, especially when they think many more will benefit from their service.

The thoughts of establishing this (and I realize it will not be a simple endeavor), completely excites me. It would literally benefit EVERY militia unit in America.

1 hour ago, Chris62 said:

My wife just told me that I may be off topic.  But my feeling is, that if you have something to offer like guidelines or a manual.  That explains, this is us, this is what we are about, you may generate more interest.  Basically it's on the table.  This is us, this is what's expected etc.  I realize that your strength is generated from voluntary people who may oppose that.  That is a fact.  Unity comes with the understanding of the common core.  Without that you have nothing except an unorganized stand.

I could not agree more in that this basic, fundamental step is the VERY FOUNDATION we need to both approach people, in what ways we will approach them, and give them a concrete foundation as to the mission and intent in our units nationwide. I would place it as the MOST VITAL of things we can develop as a corporate entity, even if an all volunteer organization with individual units. There is MUCH COMMON GROUND we shouls all share as American Militia... and THIS fundamental would ideally outline it all perfectly.

1 hour ago, wquon said:

while I will say you most likely have some skill sets that will definitely help out in getting folks, it's going to be different.

many ppl join the military due to perks & a paycheck, there isnt any of that in a militia. on top of this we all know those soldiers who have to be managed due to being inept or troublesome.

the militia is purely voluntary, which at times can be a double edged sword. finding people that will can be counted upon, who are teachable, & who are educated (in founding principles) is going to be a new experience. not to mention the stigma that is attached to the word militia vs military.

I agree that a volunteer militia is quite different from our military as it stands right now in every aspect. Just facing the facts, the American Militia, corporately speaking, is in disarray. This is likely because of many reasons. One being, when people think there's not a good reason to do something, they won't do anything. And for the few that would like to be involved, they may not be focused of the purposes that make us strong and needed. And then there's the fact that fake media is TRYING to paint false images of American Militias and there are probably many people that have no clue as to how to punch through that, therefore they silently stand down from the responsibility of the 2nd Amendment as given to the citizens. Education in the fundamental Constitutional reasons to maintain a citizen's militia is vital to the mission, forward.

I think this is doable, @Chris62. It would be an HONOR to work with you and take advantage of your expertise. I think we can come up with a standard that ALL American Militias can support and include in their units, no matter where we are.

I have to go. Thank you so much for your response. I'll be contacting you!