RanchDressing

Newbie here; thanks for the add!

I'm an RN with years of Mobile Intensive Care Nurse , Level 1 Trauma experience, and I hope my expertise will never be needed by my fellow militia patriots.  That being said, I'm a mediocre  shooter and practicing to get better.  Hope to be a valuable asset to the team.  Thanks to y'all for contributing valuable information on this site.

Whoa ....  an RN!    Look, there are millions of people who can be taught to shoot adequately in a few hours.  But how long does it take to become an RN???  And one with years of experience? 

Would you be interested in helping put together a 'Militia First Aid' document?  There are dozens of publications available, but there ought to be one that is specifically for militia people, with an emphasis on penetrating wounds..   (I've been on some civilian First aid courses -- stop the bleeding, clear the airway --but none of them ever mentioned what to do for  a sucking chest wound, for example.)  We need such a document, which would also include what to get for battlefield first aid kit, and how to improvise where things are to expensive to buy.  I've been reading up on tournequets for example, but where I am concerned it's amateur hour.   We have a couple of other medical professionals here, so together we ought to be able to produce a first class document ... and maybe, even,  a video.  

Author of the topic Posted (edited)

Thank you for the warm welcome. Much appreciated.  Doug 1943, I might be interested in collaborating on a field manual in the future. At this time I'm studying for the SAR field exam and hope to take a man-tracking course in the spring.   In all fairness, I'm less of an academian and more of a hands-on practitioner.  Once I pass militia vetting and get my sea legs, I would like to know who else is interested in the project.  Thanks again. You ROCK!

Edited by RanchDressing

"I'm less of an academician and more of a hands-on practitioner"!!!!!!   Dear God, man.... ....  that's like  a new recruit turning up at a company that is about to go into an engagement and saying "I'm a very good shot, but... I'm not very good on theoretical ballistics ... don't ask me to solve those differential equations with hyperbolic cosines that describe the parabola of a bullet flight, taking into account air resistance and angle between the muzzle and the target and the Coriollis effect... sorry!"   YAH!!!! You are just what we need!!!!!!!!!!! 

As it turns out, I'm an academic but not a hands-on practioner.  So it's a case of "Jack Spratt could eat no fat, his wife could eat no lean, but toether both, they licked the platter clean."   I can do the writing and checking on the footnotes and all the theoretical stuff, but  -- to be an academic here -- as Goethe said, "Grey is all theory, but ever-green the tree of life."   

RanchDressing: I've been looking at Combat First Aid videos on YouTube.  There are a lot of them!  If you have the time, over the next few weeks, if you could look at  them, and pick out the ones you think are best.  It doesn't hurt to have two or three which cover the same basic subject but probably not all of them should be included.  If you do that, and make a list of them, then either you could write a short (two or three sentence) summary of each one, or I could.   Then we could start a video library of combat first aid videos, which would probably be even more useful than a library of PDF documents (although we should have that as well).

One story: when I  was taking ROTC in high school, about sixty years ago, we had a film on combat first aid.  The ROTC hut was dark. The film began, and soon got to someone

who had been (similated, I'm sure) hit by mortar fragments, which had caused his intestines to be exposed and portruding. Suddenly there was a large  THUMP! ... the poor fellow sitting

next to me -- a big guy --had fainted dead away and fallen out of his chair!  You didn't tend to see that in Hollywood war movies back then. (And maybe not now, I don't know.)

Author of the topic Posted

Doug 1943, The ROTC story is hilarious. I've seen quite a few patients' relatives hit the floor, particularly during my OBGYN rotation in nursing school back in the day!

I'm currently shopping for a new place to live.  Without getting overly personal, I've been dry camping without amenities for over a year as an experiment. There is not enough data and bandwidth for videos.  No TV, no power, no running water: just my laptop and I have to seriously monitor and restrict data use.  While it's been an awesome adventure, I totally froze my butt off in the course of 2 winters, and I'm in the process of shopping for a real roof over my head.  Maybe before the end of the year I can be more useful in the video search department.  Please bear with me!

11 hours ago, RanchDressing said:

Doug 1943, The ROTC story is hilarious. I've seen quite a few patients' relatives hit the floor, particularly during my OBGYN rotation in nursing school back in the day!

I'm currently shopping for a new place to live.  Without getting overly personal, I've been dry camping without amenities for over a year as an experiment. There is not enough data and bandwidth for videos.  No TV, no power, no running water: just my laptop and I have to seriously monitor and restrict data use.  While it's been an awesome adventure, I totally froze my butt off in the course of 2 winters, and I'm in the process of shopping for a real roof over my head.  Maybe before the end of the year I can be more useful in the video search department.  Please bear with me!

Had to do the 'camping' thing here in las cruces thru winter 2014 28" snow.  I cant imagine cold / snow up in your area

On 1/24/2020 at 2:23 AM, RanchDressing said:

Yikes ... take your time. And now with this Wuhan Virus ....    Where are you looking for a place? I mean, what area, or is there a particular area? This is the sort of problem that a national network of militias ought to be able to, maybe, help with. Someone like you would be an absolutely invaluable addition to a serious unit, and so they ought to be keen to persuade you to re-locate to their area and to help you to do so.