David Coelho

New to MyMilitia, new to gun culture

Hi everyone,

I'm excited to get to know everyone. I was referred to this page because I'm new to Libertarianism and see the need to protect my wife and I against the ever increasingly tyrannical government.

However, I'm still studying abroad (the Dominican Republic), so I'd like to read up on as much tactical related information, so that when I go to the United States I can know exactly what to do (ie. What guns to buy, how to prepare for clandestine/guerrilla warfare, etc.)

I come from a Brazilian family so we have absolutely 0 gun culture, so I know absolutely n-o-t-h-I-n-g about guns. So please, if you decide to help me out in regards to guns, talk to me as if I'm a 3 year old for all I care!

Anyway, I'm very eager to learn, and I thank you all in advance.

Stay free everyone,

David Coelho

Welcome.  Are you, by any chance, related to the author of The Alchemist?

On self-defense, etc. 

Probably the best place to start is YouTube.  If you put 'self-defense' into the Search Bar, you'll get a lot of videos to watch for free.

When you get to the US, the best thing to do is to make contact with a local militia, if possible, and go along to a meeting and talk to them.

I personally -- but this is just my personal view, not everyone would agree -- think that "guerilla war" in the US is very unlikely.  That is, warfare against an organized, intact, professional military. I think if that every happened, we'd all end up like a country man of yours did fifty years ago.  (I'm speaking of Carlos Marighella, whose book, MiniManual of the Urban Guerilla, I have just re-read.)

If you are immigating to the US and becoming a citizen, the very best way to get military training is to enlist in the National Guard.

I would love to talk with you more about mindset, skill set, & gear so feel free to PM me.

there's alot of misinformation out there. unless you have experience to know the difference, youre going to listen to everything & & be bouncing around like a squirrel while wasting lots of time & money.

1st you must have a mission or goal. protecting your family & prepping for 4th gen warfare (as you stated above) is a good start.

message me so we can get to know each other better ;)

Author of the topic Posted
On 1/27/2020 at 11:31 PM, Doug1943 said:

Welcome.  Are you, by any chance, related to the author of The Alchemist?

On self-defense, etc. 

Probably the best place to start is YouTube.  If you put 'self-defense' into the Search Bar, you'll get a lot of videos to watch for free.

When you get to the US, the best thing to do is to make contact with a local militia, if possible, and go along to a meeting and talk to them.

I personally -- but this is just my personal view, not everyone would agree -- think that "guerilla war" in the US is very unlikely.  That is, warfare against an organized, intact, professional military. I think if that every happened, we'd all end up like a country man of yours did fifty years ago.  (I'm speaking of Carlos Marighella, whose book, MiniManual of the Urban Guerilla, I have just re-read.)

If you are immigating to the US and becoming a citizen, the very best way to get military training is to enlist in the National Guard.

Thanks for the great feedback! No, Paulo Coelho isn't a relative of mine unfortunetly; I get asked that a lot! I was actually born in the States, into a Brazilian family. So I already have the citizenship under my belt. I'll take a look at that MiniManual you mentioned, must be great!

The whole gun thing being second nature to many Americans, we start out being trained at an early age in simple things... like how to safely handle a gun. No ammo. Just handle it. How to hold it. The habit of how to hold it when carrying, ect. I've trained all my kids and half my grandkids because I've been able to be around them. When they demonstrate sloppiness or lack the attention span to pay attention to what they are doing while having the gun in their hands, then away the gun goes and we'll try again next year. Ages at which children can learn responsibility varies and that must be determined first.

Then when they finally do take it seriously and can maintain their concentration, do all the things right, they get a BB gun. This is also on a trial basis. Worse case scenario you have to replace a window or you catch them being irresponsible. In which case? Up goes the gun and we try it again next year.

When they get to where they can consistently treat their BB gun like a .223, then it might be time for their first .22  caliber. If they handle that gun well and responsibly, it's off to the range where they will learn to hold, aim and shoot the gun safely. Again, any lapse of attention or sense that they are not consistently responsible, up goes the gun and try again next year. But once they graduate to the .22, they have incentive to do everything right. You allow for mistakes, but watch for them closely and IMMEDIATELY identify them so that as they develop their "habits", they develop the correct ones.

Along with learning to shoot comes the training of breaking down the gun for cleaning and reassembly.

From there, depending on their size and ability, you advance in the caliber of the gun. However it will be quite some time before they pull the trigger on a 10 gauge.

You need to start from the ground up, Sir. I'm not sure I would trust self-teaching from youtube as you develop your habits. It would be EXPONENTIALLY better if you had a real time instructor. A local militia near you would be perfect, as they could take some time and teach you correctly. Maybe a local gun club that accepts beginners periodically.

I commend you for stepping up and refusing to be a victim and a proponent for our 2nd Amendment. Now you need the training. Where there's a will, there is a way.

Nice to meet you, Sir.

7 minutes ago, Matt In West Virginia said:

The whole gun thing being second nature to many Americans, we start out being trained at an early age in simple things... like how to safely handle a gun. No ammo. Just handle it. How to hold it. The habit of how to hold it when carrying, ect. I've trained all my kids and half my grandkids because I've been able to be around them. When they demonstrate sloppiness or lack the attention span to pay attention to what they are doing while having the gun in their hands, then away the gun goes and we'll try again next year. Ages at which children can learn responsibility varies and that must be determined first.

Then when they finally do take it seriously and can maintain their concentration, do all the things right, they get a BB gun. This is also on a trial basis. Worse case scenario you have to replace a window or you catch them being irresponsible. In which case? Up goes the gun and we try it again next year.

When they get to where they can consistently treat their BB gun like a .223, then it might be time for their first .22  caliber. If they handle that gun well and responsibly, it's off to the range where they will learn to hold, aim and shoot the gun safely. Again, any lapse of attention or sense that they are not consistently responsible, up goes the gun and try again next year. But once they graduate to the .22, they have incentive to do everything right. You allow for mistakes, but watch for them closely and IMMEDIATELY identify them so that as they develop their "habits", they develop the correct ones.

Along with learning to shoot comes the training of breaking down the gun for cleaning and reassembly.

From there, depending on their size and ability, you advance in the caliber of the gun. However it will be quite some time before they pull the trigger on a 10 gauge.

You need to start from the ground up, Sir. I'm not sure I would trust self-teaching from youtube as you develop your habits. It would be EXPONENTIALLY better if you had a real time instructor. A local militia near you would be perfect, as they could take some time and teach you correctly. Maybe a local gun club that accepts beginners periodically.

I commend you for stepping up and refusing to be a victim and a proponent for our 2nd Amendment. Now you need the training. Where there's a will, there is a way.

Nice to meet you, Sir.

Blown away by all this information. It's strange being the pioneer in my family in this kinda thing. But I feel it's my duty to be a responsible citizen, that sees the responsibility to live in accordance to the Constitution first, and the laws second. I would love to help my wife understand the necessity to live this way, so that one day I can do as you say and train my kids in how to be a responsible gun owner and even Minute men if need be. I'm diving into this not because the 2nd Amendment encourages rifles for hunting, but rather because the 2nd Amendment encourages weapons to defend ourselves against a government, foreign or domestic. So if me and my family are going to be armed, it'll be for that reason.

Any gear I should consider buying once I come back home to the States?

I'm grateful for all of your advice, Sir.

1 hour ago, David Coelho said:

Thanks for the great feedback! No, Paulo Coelho isn't a relative of mine unfortunetly; I get asked that a lot! I was actually born in the States, into a Brazilian family. So I already have the citizenship under my belt. I'll take a look at that MiniManual you mentioned, must be great!

Ah, got it. Like the rest of us, it's your ancestors who did the immigrating.

By the way, I don't recommend that Minimanual, especially.  It's mainly either common sense, or impossibly fantastic recommendations (like learning to fly!), and, as I said, its author was killed by the Brazillian military not long after he wrote that book.

In any case, 'guerilla war',  even 'urban guerilla war', is, in my opinion, a very unlikely scenario for the USA.  If you're in a militia group where someone is actively advocating preparing for it,  I would be very suspicious of them, to be frank.  

What was, in some cases, successful in mainly-rural, backward, Third world countries, with an unpopular dictatorship -- say Cuba, or China, or Vietnam -- is very unlikely to be of relevance in a largely-urban/suburban democracy like the US.  What we face is not 'law and order' carried out by an unpopular dictator, probably, but the breakdown of law and order.  We see that on a small scale from time to time in urban riots, or the looting that occurs after natural disasters.

So it's just common sense to be prepared.

8 minutes ago, Doug1943 said:

Ah, got it. Like the rest of us, it's your ancestors who did the immigrating.

By the way, I don't recommend that Minimanual, especially.  It's mainly either common sense, or impossibly fantastic recommendations (like learning to fly!), and, as I said, its author was killed by the Brazillian military not long after he wrote that book.

In any case, 'guerilla war',  even 'urban guerilla war', is, in my opinion, a very unlikely scenario for the USA.  If you're in a militia group where someone is actively advocating preparing for it,  I would be very suspicious of them, to be frank.  

What was, in some cases, successful in mainly-rural, backward, Third world countries, with an unpopular dictatorship -- say Cuba, or China, or Vietnam -- is very unlikely to be of relevance in a largely-urban/suburban democracy like the US.  What we face is not 'law and order' carried out by an unpopular dictator, probably, but the breakdown of law and order.  We see that on a small scale from time to time in urban riots, or the looting that occurs after natural disasters.

So it's just common sense to be prepared.

That makes a lot of sense actually. Never hurts to be prepared.

The militia movement has one huge potential weakness.  This weakness, this vulnerability, is far greater than any other: because of its very nature -- its quasi-military aspect -- it is vulnerable to penetration by agents provocateurs, people who will urge its members to pass over from prepartion, to 'action'. 

Even if the 'action' is passive -- like acquiring an automatic weapon, or a 'destructive device' -- then the person who does it is headed for prison.   Far worse, the ensuing publicity will discredit the militia movement, and drive people away from it.

So we need to know what the law is on things like ,for instance, the length of shotgun barrels.  (Buying or selling a weapon with an illegally-shortened barrel is a favorite way of government informants to entrap people. It's how they tried to entrap Randy Weaver, for example. He fell for it, and they thought they had him ... and demanded he become an informant. He refused, and the outcome was dead bodies, including his wife and son.)

But I think that now, almost everyone in the militia movement is wise to these tricks, and knows how to stay within the law, and to avoid letting their emotions dictate their speech.

22 minutes ago, Doug1943 said:

The militia movement has one huge potential weakness.  This weakness, this vulnerability, is far greater than any other: because of its very nature -- its quasi-military aspect -- it is vulnerable to penetration by agents provocateurs, people who will urge its members to pass over from prepartion, to 'action'. 

Even if the 'action' is passive -- like acquiring an automatic weapon, or a 'destructive device' -- then the person who does it is headed for prison.   Far worse, the ensuing publicity will discredit the militia movement, and drive people away from it.

So we need to know what the law is on things like ,for instance, the length of shotgun barrels.  (Buying or selling a weapon with an illegally-shortened barrel is a favorite way of government informants to entrap people. It's how they tried to entrap Randy Weaver, for example. He fell for it, and they thought they had him ... and demanded he become an informant. He refused, and the outcome was dead bodies, including his wife and son.)

But I think that now, almost everyone in the militia movement is wise to these tricks, and knows how to stay within the law, and to avoid letting their emotions dictate their speech.

That's crazy, the government is really infiltrating and motivating gun owners to do illegal activity??

No, I do not believe the government has people who motivate gun owners to do illegal activity, as a matter of routine.  At the moment, they're there to monitor what's going on, in case someone does propose illegal, violent activity. Over the years, there have been a number of cases where deranged individuals, loosely associated with the militia movement -- since anyone can join -- have gone on to commit horrific crimes. Timothy McVeigh is the best example. So they want to prevent such things from happening.  I can't blame them.

Unfortunately, among gun-owners  (not necessarily militia members) there are plenty of loud-mouthed hot-air merchants who will post all kinds of crazy stuff -- not that they have the slightest intention of actually doing anything ... it's just a form of political masturbation. During the run-up to the wonderful rally in Virginia last week, all kinds of people were huffing and puffing about 'arresting the legislature' and 'trying the governor for treason'. I doubt any of these bullshitters even bothered to get to Richmond. But they gave the governor the material he needed to justify proclaiming a 'state of emergency' in the capitor.

However, we must assume that the government has an informant in every active militia unit.  Anyone who has any familiarity at all with history will know that this is how governments operate, And it's how our government has operated in the past, with respect to organizations that it views as 'extreme'.

But there are legal limits as to what informants can do, such that any prosecutions hold up in court. The key word is 'entrapment'.  If I, as a government agent, say to you, "Let's rob a bank", and you agree ... you have been 'entrapped' and  -- if you can prove that you were entrapped -- the prosectution will not stand: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entrapment

However, the informants know this, and are usually not so stupid as to do outright entrapment.  They are more subtle than this,  if they do anything beyond simple listening.

A good place to understand the way they work is to read about the Ruby Ridge atrocity. Here's the essence of it, from the rather poor Wikipedia account of what happened to him.

Weaver was approached by ATF informant Kenneth Faderley (posing as a biker named Gus Magisono) who was investigating Weaver's friend Frank Kumnick.Faderley presented himself as an illegal firearms dealer from New Jersey. Faderley met Weaver again at the 1987. Faderley entrapped Randy Weaver. World Congress. In 1989, Weaver supplied two modified shotguns to Faderley. While the ATF maintained that the weapons supplied by Weaver were illegally shortened when Faderley received them, Weaver has claimed otherwise. The DOJ Ruby Ridge Task Force Report (1994) records that Faderley stated Weaver showed him an unaltered shotgun and Faderley pointed out where he wanted Weaver to cut the gun. The ATF wanted to use Weaver to introduce Faderley to Charles Howarth who was starting a group in Montana, after which the ATF intended to drop the Kumnick and Weaver investigations. Weaver refused to take Faderley to Montana in November 1989 and Faderley was told by his handlers to have no further contact with Weaver.

Weaver was then approached by ATF agents and told that they had evidence of his possession and sale of illegal weapons, and offered to drop the charges in return for his co-operation in infiltrating the Aryan Nations. Weaver refused. He was initially arrested by ATF agents on charges  relating to transfer of a short-barreled shotgun without a license in January 1991.

SOURCE: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randy_Weaver

So you see how they work.

I'm working on a document for this website which goes over the history of informants, and what to expect, and how to make sure that any informants in a group -- and every group will have one -- doesn't do any harm.

The only thing to make sure of, is that you, AND THE GROUP YOU JOIN, exercise  common sense, and don't do anything illegal, and don't say anything that, when played back to an unsmiling jury of Democrat-voting anti-gun feminists, makes it sound like you're planning violence. A good militia group will run background checks on new members, to weed out people with criminal records, as these kinds of people have also caused trouble in the past.  If you find yourself talking to a group where the hot-air merchants and bullshitters and conspiracy cuckoos dominate, I'd find another group.