Dav Harzin

It’s not time to panic about the Coronavirus

It’s not time to panic about the Coronavirus

Yet again it seems we have a dangerous respiratory virus originating in China and threatening to spread to the rest of the world. The Novel Coronavirus (nCoV) belongs to the same family of viruses as the Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) virus and the Middle-East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS). From what experts can tell, this nCoV has been traced to a wildlife/meat market in Wuhan, China. The city has a population of more than 11 million people.

The recent outbreak seems to have started in late December of last year, and has accelerated to the point now where confirmed cases have also been located in Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore, Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Macao, Nepal, Australia, France and the United States. My personal belief is that the Chinese government probably covered up knowledge of the outbreak for a period of time, and now their efforts to lock down and quarantine entire cities of millions of people are going to be futile. The virus has already escaped those limits and there is no sign they can contain it right now.

https://www.americanpartisan.org/2020/01/its-not-time-to-panic-about-the-coronavirus/

I ordered some N95 masks from Zoro.com the day before yesterday because they were still showing some in stock.  I just got this email notice a few minutes ago:

Hello,
We apologize for the inconvenience, but due to an unusually high volume of orders, the pandemic supplies in your recent order, SO153xxxx (see details below), are currently on extended backorder and may take significantly longer to ship than expected.
If you would like to keep your order open, please contact us as soon as possible at [email protected]. We will provide shipping updates as they become available, but please be aware that once you confirm your order it will become non-cancelable and non-refundable.
If we do not receive an email response within 5 business days, we will cancel your order automatically.
We apologize again for any inconvenience this may cause. As a token of our appreciation for your business, please accept this one-time-use promo code good for 20% off a future purchase at Zoro.com.
Sincerely,
Zoro.com Customer Service

3 hours ago, LetFreedomRing said:

I ordered some N95 masks from Zoro.com the day before yesterday because they were still showing some in stock.  I just got this email notice a few minutes ago:

Hello,
We apologize for the inconvenience, but due to an unusually high volume of orders, the pandemic supplies in your recent order, SO153xxxx (see details below), are currently on extended backorder and may take significantly longer to ship than expected.
If you would like to keep your order open, please contact us as soon as possible at [email protected]. We will provide shipping updates as they become available, but please be aware that once you confirm your order it will become non-cancelable and non-refundable.
If we do not receive an email response within 5 business days, we will cancel your order automatically.
We apologize again for any inconvenience this may cause. As a token of our appreciation for your business, please accept this one-time-use promo code good for 20% off a future purchase at Zoro.com.
Sincerely,

Try ebay?

I've got some Scott Safety Enforcement Cartridge Filter 045123 NBC NIOSH Approved 40mm 2014 on the way. I havn't confirmed if they'll filter out viruses, but they're 'NBC' so hopefully they at least try...

I'm also thinking that adding an inline tube with a UV light in it might be an effective antiviral in a pinch.

1 hour ago, modernpaladin said:

Try ebay?

I've got some Scott Safety Enforcement Cartridge Filter 045123 NBC NIOSH Approved 40mm 2014 on the way. I havn't confirmed if they'll filter out viruses, but they're 'NBC' so hopefully they at least try...

I'm also thinking that adding an inline tube with a UV light in it might be an effective antiviral in a pinch.

There is so much fraud going on Ebay I stopped using it 10 years ago.  If you do find them on there they are selling them for 3 times what they would normally retail for.  Same price increase on Amazon for the few that claim to be in stock still.

4 hours ago, LetFreedomRing said:

Hello,
Sincerely,

Good luck finding them! Wife said they are long gone. I tried some other backchannels, as N95 rated masks are used in industrial applications like fiberglass, drywall, painting, etc., and you might find them at hardware stores.

38 minutes ago, BuryTheHatchet said:

Good luck finding them! Wife said they are long gone. I tried some other backchannels, as N95 rated masks are used in industrial applications like fiberglass, drywall, painting, etc., and you might find them at hardware stores.

I just ordered a box off of MSC Industrial, their live stock is more accurate and reliable than Zoro.  About $16 for a box of 20 3M N95 plus shipping.

1 minute ago, LetFreedomRing said:

I just ordered a box off of MSC Industrial, their live stock is more accurate and reliable than Zoro.  About $16 for a box of 20 3M N95 plus shipping.

Good! I already checked the large chain stores, and they all showed sold out. The out of the way stores and small retailers should have them... for a little while.

7 minutes ago, BuryTheHatchet said:

Good! I already checked the large chain stores, and they all showed sold out. The out of the way stores and small retailers should have them... for a little while.

image.png

image.png

I just ordered some n 95 masks from chinook medical.  Keep Shooting dot com has US Dept of Defense pandemic kits which I ordered as well.  You have to click on equipment then safety and survival.  It's on the seventh page.  

What about an NBC mask and filter?  More expensive but worth it imho.

58 minutes ago, Stacey Lynn Goben-Lawson said:

Good Morning

I myself am freaking out about this a bit. I am only 1 year free from breast cancer,and have another disease...so my immune system sucks. 

I worry there is going to be a virus that isn't going to be able to be contained. 

One of the most important preparations you can make for any emergency survival situation is long term food storage in case it gets bad enough that you need to stay at home.  Extra canned and dry goods, some kind of water filter system in case needed and freeze dried meals and entrees as they last the longest (up to 25 or 30 years depending on how they are packaged, canned are the longest lasting).  One or two cases of some type of MRE (Meals Ready to Eat) meals but remember after 5 years they start deteriorating, about 10 years is considered the maximum for them to still be appealing and edible.  You can get a start at a Walmart camping section if you haven't been prepping already or some similar section in other stores.  When the emergency is upon you it will be too late to get these things as stores will be emptied out of them in 3 days or less.  Some bottled water is good for short term but it starts deteriorating after a year so some kind of good portable water filtering system is a must.  FEMA recommends that all citizens keep a 6 month supply of food and water to be prepared for extreme emergencies:

https://www.fema.gov/pdf/areyouready/areyouready_full.pdf

https://www.fema.gov/pdf/library/f&web.pdf

1 hour ago, VRDF said:

Fear is the best marketing.

True but I can always use the one box of the masks I bought for my shop work, wasn't a panic buy for me personally.  Better safe than sorry is the Prepper motto.  I live out in the country and my main plan is to stay out of dodge if it gets too dicey.  ?

On 1/28/2020 at 7:24 PM, LetFreedomRing said:

There is so much fraud going on Ebay I stopped using it 10 years ago.  If you do find them on there they are selling them for 3 times what they would normally retail for.  Same price increase on Amazon for the few that claim to be in stock still.

That's what I get for waiting until an outbreak to buy them. But they just arrived, still in original (sealed) packaging. I don't feel too screwed :)

Sooo… I work in the sewer, for a Canadian company. I mostly work along the west coast in the US, but I have a work visa to work in Canada. On monday I'm heading up to install some flow monitors in the sewer near Vancouver... where an alarming percent of the population are likely to have just returned from celebrating the Chinese New Year ...in China.

Here's to hoping I can report back in a week or so that this whole thing was a big nothingburger.