So I just started my beginning of prep. My dad done it years ago (he’s passed now) I figure-

Bulk bottled water 

Bulk canned food (vegetables and meat)

I figure I’ll get the little propane bottles for heat and cooking in winter and some empty plastic barrels to collect rain water for bathing washing clothes dishes etc... 

any ideas from guys that have been doing a while is much appreciated. Books on first aid first aid supplies etc... I live in a small city so really don’t have anywhere to “bug out” to but plan on making my stand and survival here if necessary. My wife thinks I’m crazy. 

the little cans wont last long. find restaurant suppl;y company  get # 10 cans 50lbs bags rice / beans etc. get 55gal blue/white food grade barrels, fill with  tap water, if you trust your local water. get se veal water filters and purifier chemicals.   Buy seeds, and study/plan to start a garden. look into rabbits. and maybe chickens. power, get decent solar panels and related to power lights etc.

gather wood and other material to fortifier the house, and think security,  cameras that can run off solar and trip alarms etc.

Guest Ghost863
On 2/16/2020 at 3:07 PM, Dav Harzin said:

the little cans wont last long. find restaurant suppl;y company  get # 10 cans 50lbs bags rice / beans etc. get 55gal blue/white food grade barrels, fill with  tap water, if you trust your local water. get se veal water filters and purifier chemicals.   Buy seeds, and study/plan to start a garden. look into rabbits. and maybe chickens. power, get decent solar panels and related to power lights etc.

gather wood and other material to fortifier the house, and think security,  cameras that can run off solar and trip alarms etc.

I am actually learning how to can my own food just like my grandmother used to do and as far as bulk storage I was looking at those 33 gallon Gamma Seal barrels for things like sugar and rice and beans, as well as red wheat and a few other staples that I will need until I can grow my own garden.

JRL, depending where you live, you might be able to get away with several plastic barrels for rain water. If you live in an unpredictably arid area like some of us do, you would be better served by a roof water collection system. Bushman water collection system is my personal favorite.  And if the SHTF, your lady will be very happy with more opportunities to shower and shampoo and look pretty for the Patriot in her life.

Guest Ghost863
On 2/16/2020 at 12:26 PM, JRL said:

So I just started my beginning of prep. My dad done it years ago (he’s passed now) I figure-

Bulk bottled water 

Bulk canned food (vegetables and meat)

I figure I’ll get the little propane bottles for heat and cooking in winter and some empty plastic barrels to collect rain water for bathing washing clothes dishes etc... 

any ideas from guys that have been doing a while is much appreciated. Books on first aid first aid supplies etc... I live in a small city so really don’t have anywhere to “bug out” to but plan on making my stand and survival here if necessary. My wife thinks I’m crazy. 

Look into container gardening and vertical gardening for fresh fruits and vegetables. You would be surprised how much food you can grow with very little space. I have 4 four inch pvc pipes with holes cut on three sides of each one, extending from the bottom to the top that gives me several plants per pipe. I plan on growing strawberries in them. Also container gardens can be carried inside if you expect a hard freeze to keep them protected from the cold.

since you live in a small place I would get 1-3 months food/water for your family there, & up to a year supply at a storage unit.

since you dont have a "bug out" place, continue to network & find a group that you can travel to.

next is to have the ability to move your family & food to the "bog out location" if anything should happen.

food storage resources;

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLstAKURZ5YBhvKAuymg_Y0sC4w5aKN66w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GY5kiCzaeYc

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL730D22F8A44360C4