Shane McAndrew

KS militia?

Im relatively new to KS (2 years), Ive been to a number of states in the south ie NC,SC, MO, VA states militias where the states are friendly and some LIKE SC are so friendly that it is a unenforced law in the state's constitution that citizens of the said state between certain ages are the militia and encouraged as well to operate over state borders (SC will help NC and visa versa in times of crisis). When I came to KS by no choice (long story), I looked into the state laws and constitution on the states legislative standings on the militia(s) and my findings are rather shady at best. While some maps show KS as pro militia, the constitution of the state paints a different picture. Saying that PRIVATE militias are illegal but if the governor sees fit may activate the militia if need be. How, as a citizen of the state of KS can start actively recruiting/training without meeting the fist of the state before anything is made concrete and off the ground?

17 minutes ago, Shane McAndrew said:

I thought private was considered as a group/organization that isn't government controlled

I’m not super familiar with KS law, but to my knowledge this is generally correct. 

Tn splits it into uniformed services and an organized militia(state guard) then the rest is considered unorganized militia(private). 

I would urge possibly speaking to a legal professional about it. I’m not really sure what would be the difference in a “private” militia and a tactical shooting club other than branding. 

• Who Viewed the Topic

11 members have viewed this topic: