fixer

How To: User Information on Topics

We will do our best to make the site easy to navigate, be aware that some of the frustration you may be experiencing on the site due to frequent changes is because of our commitment to continuous improvement.

We are constantly analyzing metrics and how the site is being used and trying to put emphasis on parts of the site that are being used more. 

The site is not lacking content or functionality and is not necessarily designed or laid out out poorly.... We suffer from 2 things...

1. A lot of content, a very heavy site

2. Generally it is just difficult to serve everyone because of the mobile, desktop and tablet users mix

Let me pull back the curtains a bit for you in the last 7 days:

Screen Shot 2020-02-21 at 11.53.56 AM.png

And the site is 100% responsive to serve all users, When someone asks a question like:

Where can i find this?

The answer is drastically different dependent on the device the user is using, its just the nature of things, which is why we are looking forward to the App how ever we are not the developers for the app and do not know how the pricing structure will be. We would hate for you to have to Pay to use the app , that may be a total deal breaker, likewise if we have to pay for every user to use the app thats going to up the operating costs here. There are a lot of irons in a lot of different fires and every one of them is to make things better, faster, more effective, easier to use and more available to you each and every one of these costs $, for the site to make $ to pay for these we need traffic and content not just any content.. relevant content. (sorry i got a little off track here, 99% of you don't care about any of this)

Anyway,

Here is the User Info as shown on Desktops and Tablets..

Screen Shot 2020-02-21 at 11.35.42 AM.png

I want to break it all down so you know what you are looking at

Starting at the top:

USERNAME

VIP's can change their own name 1 time every 30 days Donate to become a VIP

Members can change their own names 1 time every 365 days *NEW

please do not message staff anymore to ask for a name change, go to your profile and change it yourself

USERTITLE

VIP's can set their own name Donate to become a VIP

Members follow rank structure based on content

Screen Shot 2020-02-21 at 12.41.45 PM.png

PIPS

Every 1000 content you get 1 pip

Only VIP's can use animated gifs Donate to become a VIP

NOTE: The Green or Red Light signifies if that user is online or offline right now

BADGES

If you are in or have served in the military you can add your branch CLICK HERE FOR INFO

Other than that the badges show your level of membership

USERGROUP

This is what usergroup you belong too, usergroups have defined permission sets, different permissions exist for every group

CONTENT AMOUNT

how much content you have added to the site, includes intel records to the intel database, posts on topics, images in the gallery etc....

Every thumbs up or positive reaction increases this by 1, currently we have a couple "neutral" reactions but no "negative" reactions because people can get upset if given poor feedback

DAYS ONE

The most active users can "win the day" view the leaderboard here - https://www.mymilitia.com/leaderboard/

MEMBER ID

The # of member you are of the site, for example my number is 1 because i was the first member

The date you joined the site

BIRTHDAY

guess what this is

AREACODE
This is the users area code (where they live) *NEW

MY MILITIAS
This is the users public militias, click to visit

Under that is quick action icons  you can message the user etc..

Do you know what all this was? Do you have any questions relating to this? 

Sound off below

Just read this ... I had not realized the problem of desktop/laptop computer, vs mobile phone vs tablet. What a nightmare.

It might be useful to try to carry out a user survey about the site's structure.  The problem with being the designer of something, is that the designer has a deep intuitive idea of how the thing he's designed works. But it may not be at all obvious to a new user.

In my opinion, there should be a very strict division between 'forum' posts, in which anyone can post anything, and subsequent threads push other down into obscurity ... on the one hand .... and 'sticky' threads, on the other, which should be separate form the anyone-can-say-anything-about-anything forums, and which should only contain contain that we have vetted and edited to conform to certain site standards.   Sort of like having a public notice board, where anyone can stick up anything,  but also having a library, where we choose the books.