Liberty Prime

Basic Overview of Individual Equipment

The Individual Equipment of the Militia

One large responsibility taken when joining a militia is the requirement to maintain an adequate level of personal equipment. The Equipment needed is varied. Some individual equipment may be tailored to a individuals preferred use. This guide will break down the equipment that you can expect to possibly have or acquire while in the militia.

photo-1539165374453-aa983fffc320.jpeg.8d919f5a4620d0a972bb71edbd7e0cc8.jpeg

The Basic Individual Equipment you can expect to acquire:

I. Field Uniform- This consists of some sort of Uniform designed to withstand the rigors of intense activity. It might consist of a specific camouflage pattern, a solid color, or possibly a mixture of both depending on your militia's uniform standards. Generally includes a piece of Headgear, Upper body garment , and trousers.

image.thumb.png.1c9742cf8a53fba12b9ada08e82a4ff7.png

II. Load Bearing Equipment- At a bare minimum it is essential to be able to carry important equipment. Simple budget equipment can easily carry the items you will need at an arms reach. This type of equipment is generally some sort of Vest or Plate Carrier. Older styles might have built in pockets, and newer styles might be a Pals/Molle setup to allow more customization. This piece of equipment should be a platform to carry things like your individual first aid kit, or magazine pouches carrying more magazines for your weapon system.

image.png.d0926df8575aafbef8812919294758e8.png

III. Individual Medical Supplies- High intensity activity regardless of real life or training has the possibility of being dangerous. It is crucial to maintain a reasonable level of medical supplies with you in the event of injury. These supplies will consist of a mixture of bandages, and specialized items such as bleeding control/airway management devices.

IV. Boots- A good pair of footwear is important. Often times you may be on your feet for several hours at a time. Having a good pair of footwear that is comfortable while providing support will increase comfort, and provide resistance to injury.

V. Small arms/Armament - Regardless of your position within a militia having some means of defending yourself is needed. At the very minimum individuals should have some sort of semi-automatic rifle in a mainstream caliber. A reasonable goal would be to have at least a rifle, and secondary pistol.

image.png.60f5227ecec87b01ac3546ab02ab7a62.png

Advanced/Optional Equipment :

Plate Carrier with Ballistic Plates: If at any point you believe you may have a scenario that involves projectiles it is recommended to wear some sort of Ballistic Plate. These items come in various sizes and designs. It is imperative before purchasing Ballistic protection you determine the level of protection you need then match your purchase to the expected threat level needed. When using Ballistic Plates the best way to carry them is in a Plate carrier. Not only does this position your plates correctly it also allows you to carry some of your equipment on the plate carrier itself.

image.png.09ac4745b5c30e16b8275f8569c981ff.png

Individual Equipment- The items are often very personalized to the user. These items include things such as hearing protection, gloves,belt, and eye protection.

Ballistic Helmets- A ballistic helmet should offer dual protection. Its first purpose is blunt force protection, as well it should offer fragmentation/projectile protection. There are several options for style, and protection levels.

image.png.3b8031a409353063bbc6cf7f191b96b6.png       

Communication Equipment- Being able to communicate to your fellow militia members, or even having the ability to monitor emergency broadcasts is a worthwhile addition to your equipment. There are many options for reliable communication varying from basic previously loaded equipment to manually programmable multiple frequency radios.

Assault pack/Ruck- Using a pack/ruck gives you an option of carrying much more equipment. Its best used to help users move bulkier equipment, or individual field equipment from one location to another. The equipment you carry might be dependent on your role, or the task.

image.png.ba723ac921e4464d1a251dc044c8392f.png

To download or view a PDF Version click here

Created by [email protected]

Good post. All to often I see people (and by extension the units they are in) trying to be like the military - this vest, these pouches, this pattern. Unless the unit is providing a central location to purchase items (and at a lower cost than can be found), keeping the gear list to a general idea works well. I am not as willing to buy a specific cammo pattern (think of the different generations and subtle differences in the multicam patterns) if there is a cheaper option that is "close enough" to the "official" pattern - the quality does need to be similar however. The same goes for buying from a specific company - Crye is a great example, great products at a very high price. If you can try on others gear or borrow their old gear to see how you like it - before you drop money on gear for yourself.  As far as commo goes, personally I like to pair my commo with my primary hearing protection. Headsets that double as hearing protection I find work well. One catch is the microphone cut offs - ensure that you can hear your music or podcast (when at the range not in training) even as you fire, otherwise you wont here radio commands when under simulated combat situations (this is assuming you are using blanks or other simulators).

This was a good overview on what each person need to have. Each mission will to a greater or lesser extent dictate some of the gear needed. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

This is my first post so bear with me on this.

I'm making the transition from ALICE gear to MOLLE.  What I don't see on most of these sites is a discussion of hydration.  I have a Molle chest rig right now and the only way to carry a bladder with it means I have straps for the hydration bladder and straps for the chest rig (that has nothing on the back except straps.)  I think my 5.11 vest with a zipper front will accommodate a bladder that utilizes the MOLLE system.  Then I got a cheap Condor chest rig that is big enough to hold 3 AR mags and a small first aid kid on the front of those.  It has MOLLE  webbing on the back but, not much space for a water bladder.  So, I use it in the trunk of the car along with a carbine just in case of civil disorder on my way home.  

Finding smaller water bladders has been impossible and the only way I see is getting bladders and only filling them half way on lot of this equipment.  I'm exploring Source Tactical for rugged water bladders.  Just a suggestion, but if anyone has info or insights on this subject, it is all but ignored most of the time.

Edited by Danite

Author of the topic Posted
12 minutes ago, Danite said:

Finding smaller water bladders has been impossible and the only way I see is getting bladders and only filling them half way on lot of this equipment.  I'm exploring Source Tactical for rugged water bladders.  Just a suggestion, but if anyone has info or insights on this subject, it is all but ignored most of the time.

So overall goal is to reduce straps and move to a direct Molle carrier correct?

I’m guessing the 1.5 liter range would probably be best. 

About how much space are you working with on the back? Do have any pictures you could share?

There’s a few options but definitely understand not wanting some bulking accessory slapping around the back of your rig. 

@ wquon  was surfing hydration recently any recommendations you have off hand?  

Source Tactical has hydration bladders where the straps are slid into side pockets and it allows you to strap the bladder pouch onto MOLLE webbing.  My problem is most bladders on the market are roughly 18 inches tall.  My condor chest rig only has 11" x 9" of space on the back.  I don't even know if they make a bladder pouch that small.  

My 5.11 vest will barely hold a Camelback and I've been reluctant to use that as the net inside the vest (where you could put a bladder) is far wider than the Camelback.  Maybe they don't slide once filled with water?

Author of the topic Posted
16 minutes ago, Danite said:

Source Tactical has hydration bladders where the straps are slid into side pockets and it allows you to strap the bladder pouch onto MOLLE webbing.  My problem is most bladders on the market are roughly 18 inches tall.  My condor chest rig only has 11" x 9" of space on the back.  I don't even know if they make a bladder pouch that small.  

My 5.11 vest will barely hold a Camelback and I've been reluctant to use that as the net inside the vest (where you could put a bladder) is far wider than the Camelback.  Maybe they don't slide once filled with water?

Have you checked out 

https://www.tacticalassaultgearstore.com/molle-small-50oz-hydration-pouch.html#tab-label-product.info.description

Measures: 

12"x8"x2"

so might be a slight overhang but not where the connection is. 

@ Danite

here are some options for your carrier (with the limited info i have).

1L source bladder - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008S9DTLM/ref=twister_B008S9DURK?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

1.5-3L qore performance, theres a few attachment options - https://www.qoreperformance.com/?view=military

1-2L haily strategic flat pack - https://haleystrategic.com/flatpack

hope this helps