Wcherron

Baofeng antenna’s

I've heard some bad talk about these radios... but for the price it's hard to beat the bang for the buck... (8 watt programmable, etc.). Not to mention when you beat one up in the field, you're not going to be out a fortune. 45$ thereabouts gets you the radio, multiple antennas, the external mic and a variety of accompanying hard and software.

Improvements can be made at a later date if one so desires... but to begin and participate in getting a new unit's coms off the ground, these will probably serve the purpose and won't bust anyone's wallet in the process...

4 minutes ago, Matt In West Virginia said:

I've heard some bad talk about these radios... but for the price it's hard to beat the bang for the buck... (8 watt programmable, etc.). Not to mention when you beat one up in the field, you're not going to be out a fortune.

Improvements can be made at a later date if one so desires... but to begin and participate in getting a new unit's coms off the ground, these will probably serve the purpose and won't bust anyone's wallet in the process...

For 125 bucks you can get a hyt.  Rugged and ready.      Why is it we all have no problem dropping thousands on gear .  Except for comms, which ends up being a 30 dollar bofang.   We  started out with it too and none of them remain.   They just failed quickly and under limited stress and use.

I would just recommend spending a few more bucks and get something  that you depend on.

2 minutes ago, Claw Hammer said:

I would just recommend spending a few more bucks and get something  that you depend on.

Good advice, I would say, especially from someone with the experience. As we advance, we'll probably do just that.

agreed if ya got the the 1000 $ plus rifle and hi end gear to cheap out on the radio. But some are on a STRICT budget my entire kit  and backup kit ran about $1600. Yeah I get the radio the beofeng is not well built, and have a padded pouch for it. and better antennae.   A good radio is on the budget for next year, but for now it gets me out there and practicing comms etc.

Baofeng ain't bad for the price. TyT is a lot better. The antenna is a waste of money. You get 2 miles with the stock or 2 miles with this one. Radio horizon is 14 miles, the most you'll get on level ground. It is what it is. Thus, it comes down to durability and how much you want to pay. A Baofeng UV-5R with an extended battery will cost you about $35, so get 2 and keep a spare and at least you'll have something. There is nothing worse than watching your 2 week old Motorola you just spent $600 on disappear in the lake.

35 minutes ago, Radiouser said:

I guess everyone can blame me for the radio choice.  I was just trying to everyone outfitted for a small price.  Next time we will get Icom, Dstar with aprs  drop aboutnn1000 bucks on each rigg

I would skip the cheap Chinese analogs altogether and research digital systems, you can buy decent radios at a price that won't break the bank.  Connect systems makes some really rugged mil-spec digital handhelds for a decent price: http://www.connectsystems.com/amateur.html

12 hours ago, Skillet said:

I would skip the cheap Chinese analogs altogether and research digital systems, you can buy decent radios at a price that won't break the bank.  Connect systems makes some really rugged mil-spec digital handhelds for a decent price: http://www.connectsystems.com/amateur.html

Not mil-spec by any stretch. They would have to be at least IP-67 water resistance for that.

1 hour ago, Tempstar said:

Not mil-spec by any stretch. They would have to be at least IP-67 water resistance for that.

They have been tested to Mil STD 810C/D/E/F, rated to IP54. Not rated for total immersion, but it will survive a dunking and prolonged water exposure. I carried one during a local SAR exercise and we had everything from a light mist to a full on torrential downpour and slip into a creek. I wouldn't hold it under water, but it will hold up to prolonged exposure. A far cry better than the fangs.