UTreadUDead

Who I am and what I do

Hello, 

My Name is Chris. I've developed a 100% free to use 2A Bill Scanning service that I'd like to share with anyone who values liberty. It's currently in beta but its up and running for anyone to use. It also allows you to share bills you want people to be aware of on Facebook and Twitter. In the times we live in today, our right to arm ourselves is not the only weapon against tyranny- staying informed and in front is. My hope is that my site will help broadcast 2A infringements to the people. I have fully funded the development and hosting of this tool to make it free for all with hopes of selling some apparel from time to time to help offset my costs. 

While I covered this in my first post here is the info:

The url is: UTreadUDead.com (The site seems to display best in chrome). By Selecting your state the service will scan your state for any bills associated with the keyword "gun". From there you can:

See who's sponsoring the bill
Review past voting on the bill
Review notable calendar events about the bill
Comment on the bill (I ask for an email but allow for fake emails if you want to stay anonymous.)
Share the bill on FaceBook and Twitter  

I would REALLY appreciate any feedback anyone has and whether or not you would use the site. 

We the People. We the Informed.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post. 

Whoa, whoa, whoa!   What a great idea!  (I'm behind some stupid system for public internet access that only lets me see a few websites, and not yours. But I will have a look at it in a couple of days.)

Unless all states have a uniform format for reporting on proposed bills, you must have had to design fifty different systems ... if so, a magnificent achievement ... and even if not, still a great achievement and something that could be very useful.

Would it be possible to easily amend your software and turn it into something that does what this one does, but for the words 'militia'? (It's my guess that we're going to see an attempt to outlaw the militia, be classifying it as a 'private army'; These are already illegal in many states. Could we call your system a 'spider'?  How hard would it be to modify it to pull down the names and emails of Republican groups in each state?

I'm going to get a couple of friends who have full internet access to check your site out and report on their responses to it.

Finally, can I ask you found our site?

Author of the topic Posted
16 minutes ago, Doug1943 said:

Whoa, whoa, whoa!   What a great idea!  (I'm behind some stupid system for public internet access that only lets me see a few websites, and not yours. But I will have a look at it in a couple of days.)

Unless all states have a uniform format for reporting on proposed bills, you must have had to design fifty different systems ... if so, a magnificent achievement ... and even if not, still a great achievement and something that could be very useful.

Would it be possible to easily amend your software and turn it into something that does what this one does, but for the words 'militia'? (It's my guess that we're going to see an attempt to outlaw the militia, be classifying it as a 'private army'; These are already illegal in many states. Could we call your system a 'spider'?  How hard would it be to modify it to pull down the names and emails of Republican groups in each state?

I'm going to get a couple of friends who have full internet access to check your site out and report on their responses to it.

Finally, can I ask you found our site?

Hi Doug, 

Thanks for initial feedback! I'll try and answer your questions as best I can.

As far as your development related questions...

I developed the tool using web services from bill archives such as LegiScan, data.gov, and a few others which I also coupled with a web crawler that seeds a database (similar to how google web crawlers work) that allowed me to basically just turn it on and let it do its work for all fifty states. The information is, of course, publicly accessible if you know where to look and where to dive into it. I have over a decade of technology experience working with the public and federal sectors which really came in handy in the tools development. To be honest, the coding is not exactly my best work as I rushed to get this out for a close friend of mine who's a VCDL member that I call my brother.

Could we call it a spider? Yes.

You could call it a spider, I like that over crawler. But to be clear, it uses web services too so it's a little more than just that. 

Would it be possible to easily amend your software and turn it into something that does what this one does, but for the words 'militia'?

It can do that today. I allowed for keyword searches as well. When you select your state, the tool, by default, does a scan using the keyword "gun". I allowed for searches so that people could also do searches using keywords like "firearm", "militia", "registry", etc. 

How hard would it be to modify it to pull down the names and emails of Republican groups in each state?

Not hard. In fact, I have a future release where users will be able to pull all the contact information for all politicians and email them directly from the site. I am currently using another crawler to seed a database to accomplish this while I am trying to save up cash to bring it to production. 

Here's a few notes about what I plan to release when I've saved up enough funds:

• The ability to see what private sector entities are funding each politician.
  • The ability to share on all social media platforms. (Currently you can only share on facebook and twitter.
  • Source documentation from Havard, Pew Research, and many others that the media uses and spins to meet their own agenda. (My crawlers have found about 30 of these so far and I intend on personally pointing out the bullets of each while providing a user to the documented original study. 
  • ATF updates and events.
  • The ability for citizens and FFL holders to report infringements and misconducts. 

As I mentioned before, all this data is out there if you know where to look for it. But it can be a bitch to find. My intention with the site is to make it stupid simple for people to keep tabs on our politicians and share what they find on social media platforms. 

How did I find your site?

My friend, who I mentioned earlier, recommend this site and a few others after I got kicked off of Reddit and a bunch of other sites for posting source links to a laws and research studies that contradicted posts and claims that several leftist made about gun rights, freedom of speech, and many other topics. I was pissed off about the fact that, due to my career choice, I have a unique set of tools and knowledge to find source data and no one seemed to give a shit. It was driving me crazy as I was watching all this anti gun shit unfold before the public was aware of it and the whisper of a voice I had was being constantly silenced. I was starting to feel like a lesser version of Edward Snowden.   

Good Lord!!! Fantastic. You'll want to commune with the site chief, Fixer, who is also technically savvy.

The web is where the war is mainly going to be waged for the next few years, at many levels, and we need all the technically-competent people we can get.  I'm going to have to update my own computing knowledge, which was mainly acquired pre-Web. (Ask me how to program a recursive pre-order traversal of a binary tree and I'm your man, but if someone wants to paste a Tweet into an Instagram and send it to all their Facebook friends, they'll have to ask my 18 year old granddaughter.)

I'm going to look at your site as soon as I get out behind the stupid 'SkyWifi' system which blocks most (but not all) internet access for hospital patients unless you pay them money. But I'll be out in a day or two.

I know exactly what you mean by the fact that most of this stuff is publically available, but to get it by hand takes hours and hours and days.  (Ask me how I know. Okay, I'll tell you: I've been slowly accumulating email addresses of Republican (and Constitution and Libertarian) party public officials or officers, for a friend of mine who has just written a book on school choice. He's scheduled to speak in various places around the South and Southwest, and I want to be able to send a mass email to every likely freedom-lover nearby. I've also been harvesting the emails of the people who train teachers at the universities in those areas -- although they are mainly The Enemy, there may be some who can be won over to the idea that a government monopoly of education is not a bad idea -- given the dire results of our public school system, that would seem a no-brainer, but ...)

As I was accumulating these emails, it occurred to me that I should do it for every state in the union, so that, if and when some legal attack on the militia movement comes, we here could send out an email to people likely to be sympathetic to us, with refutations of the various attacks that will be made. So I was looking forward (NOT) to doing what I have done for Texas and Arizona, to another 48 states and various districts and dependencies. Yech.  [For the reason I think we should be prepared for a legal offensive, Google 'Mary McCord' and 'militia'.]

There is more.  Are you familiar with the book on OSINT by Michael Bazzell?  I bought it, and then discovered that the webscraping software that was available on his website and mentioned in his book ... has been taken down.  Good software capacity in this field would be very useful, allowing local militia units to submit names of applicants for background  checks (some of them have found that they were joined by people with real criminal records, which is a security risk) ... there are also possibilities for thwarting penetration by freelance Leftists. The real prize would be getting someone involved who is a licensed PI, of course, because they have access to Closed-SINT.

Thank you so much for joining!!! I think many of us will look at your site over the next few days, and I hope everyone has the need for some new tee-shirts, etc.  "Thou shalt not muzzle the ox that treadeth down the corn."

Sorry to hear you're in the hospital. I'll be sure to connect with Fixer per your advice.

For your email address project,

Now I don't have a lot of trust for google either... but they have an api that allows you to pull phone numbers, emails, etc from elected officials. From what I can tell it checks out as legit when compared to data my web crawler has thus far pulled. Here is a link to the docs: https://developers.google.com/civic-information. I am currently trying to write a service that will seed a database with it as it would cut weeks to months worth of crawling down to hours or days. Might be worth checking out, otherwise, you can wait on me to pull the data. It may be a little while before I can finish writing the service, though. But I'll post the result on whether or not it was a dead end. 

The way I am attempting to do it with google civic information is by pulling a list (see attached) of data from the Federal Election Committee via API and bulk downloads and running it through a "for loop" that executes the civic google api. The result it returns is then seeded into one of my databases. If all goes well, I am going to add in an additional step that pings each email address to validate it. 

The list I attached is just one of the many I am working with. While it doesn't contain any email addresses, it does contain every candidate's (both incumbent and challenging) name, party, state, address which may be useful to you.  

I'm not familiar with with the book but I know a shit ton about open source intelligence gathering.  I have also written TONs of scrapping tools where you can browse out to a site and pull data using specific tags and Ids. I wrote most of them because I was lazy and tired of hunting for information like investment data and other personal stuff. 

You're idea about alerting sympathetic politicians is EXACTLY what I am after too. My end game for this project is allow for people to scan their state for bills that infringe on our rights, be able to email the sponsor of that bill to tell him/her what's what. And then send out a mass email campaign to the politicians we feel would defend us and get in front of it while at the same time sharing it on social media to create buzz and support from civilians. That is the transparency we need today. Cut the media news outlets out of the process or at least be able to hold them accountable for misinformation.

As far as your background checks go, that's totally doable. You could easily create a script of code that checks out all known aliases for a person and look at their posts for keywords. I think some services exist like that today but don't go very deep into what their babbling about online. Plus they all have a cost. 

I look forward to your feedback about the site. Good or bad, please let me know. Take into consent that it's still a work in progress and I wrote the core of it (literally) in less than a week. So there is still much to do. It seems to work best in Chrome and Edge, I haven't done much testing in other browsers yet. As a side note, I am pouring all the code I wrote for this into a mobile app too. It'll be a little while before I can get it in the app store with everything else I am working plus my w2 job but I am hoping to somehow create an infringement alert notification system in it. 

candidate_summary_2020.csv

Wow! Glad to hear it! Sounds like I found my people!

I currently use SQL Server to store comments and JSON to feed my scraping/crawler findings. But again, I chose to use them because of how fast I had to develop the site for my buddy in VA. I am hoping to pipe all the data into into AWS kinesis while I scan the data using aws lambda's before dumping into an S3 where I'll be formatting into CSV files and downloading onto my private servers. This way, if I ever get shut down, I can have it back up and running on my private server and nobody can do shit about it. That said, I might need some other people to store copies of the source code offsite from my location... call me paranoid. But like guns and parachutes, I'd rather have one and not need one then need one and not have one.    

Okay, thanks.

I'm going to take my collection of patriotic emails, which I'll start as a CSV vile, and  when I get it done, I'll put it into some sort of SQL database ... probably MariaDB ... but it will likely only be a few thousand so I won't, unfortunately, have to worry about performance issues.

On 3/2/2020 at 5:18 PM, UTreadUDead said:

I would REALLY appreciate any feedback anyone has and whether or not you would use the site. 

I tell ya what... I'm a bit stunned. I just checked out my state and this seems to be working as slick as a whistle! Man? I have to take some kids to school but I'll be checking this out further when I get back. This program is ROCKIN' it so far!

Wow.

1 hour ago, Matt In West Virginia said:

I'm in West Virginia and this thing is one slick trick for keeping up with legislation concerning the 2nd Amendment and gun rights. My sincerest thanks. This bugger is bookmarked!

Matt. Thanks a ton for checking it out. I really appreciate your feed back. As I mentioned in previous posts- I have a lot more I intend to release as time and funds allow. Hopefully soon. Stay vigilante brother. 

On 3/4/2020 at 5:59 PM, Doug1943 said:

Okay, thanks.

I'm going to take my collection of patriotic emails, which I'll start as a CSV vile, and  when I get it done, I'll put it into some sort of SQL database ... probably MariaDB ... but it will likely only be a few thousand so I won't, unfortunately, have to worry about performance issues.

Update - I may have hit the gold mine as far as politician contact info.

Doug1943... I think you're going to like this.

Attached are the results from 1 web service call using a random street address for KS (I believe the API was originally intended to help people find politicians in their district). It's in JSON format. It contains a sizable chunk of (if not all) emails, phone number, addresses, twitter ids, facebookid, youtube channels, profile photo urls, party, and personal website urls, 

Here is a sample from the file:

"party": "Republican Party",
   "phones": [
    "(202) 224-4774"
   ],
   "urls": [
    "http://www.roberts.senate.gov/public/"
   ],
   "photoUrl": "http://bioguide.congress.gov/bioguide/photo/R/R000307.jpg",
   "channels": [
    {
     "type": "Facebook",
     "id": "SenPatRoberts"
    },
    {
     "type": "Twitter",
    },
    {
     "type": "YouTube",
    }
   ]
  },

Let me know what you think. I haven't had too much time to verify it against my database or on their websites. If it all checks out I'm going to scrap my web crawler efforts. If I set this up right (when I have the time) I'd imagine I could let my script run for a few hours and get all of them for every state. If this works out- you'll be able to message bill sponsors and politicians that you think will oppose the bill directly to their social media accounts and emails in just one or two clicks on my site. Can you imagine that power!!! Being able to see a bill and state your opinion about it to elected officials within minutes or seconds! I really hope this site blows up to a point where I can do this full time. Get ready Democrats, your inboxes are about to get flooded. 

emailSeed-Attempt2.txt

Whoa!    YES!!!!

I don't know much, to be honest, about how other people on this site think about the necessity to engage in 'conventional politics' -- there seems to be a kind of disdain for it among some people, which I can well understand.

But for the moment, it's a game we have GOT to play.  And the internet makes is much much easier to do it, than it was 25 or 30 years ago, when everything depended on your snail-mail email list -- and such lists sold for six-figure sums.  But with something like this, we could build our own, starting with legislators, and then looking for other individuals, such as officers of Republican Women's Clubs, of local Veterans' Associations, Gun Clubs, and generally, people who use Facebook and Twitter and other social media and who express their political opinions there.

Obviously such a list could be misused. But if we could have one, and use it cautiously and carefully and in a very targetted manner, it could be invaluable.

And, thinking more broadly, the ability to sweep through the web and find, say, articles or letters or comments on 'the militia' could generate opportunities go to those sites and comment.

My own sober and cautious and considered judgement on the potential of this SuperWeapon  that UTreadUDead is developing is: YAHOO!!!!

47 minutes ago, Doug1943 said:

I don't know much, to be honest, about how other people on this site think about the necessity to engage in 'conventional politics' -- there seems to be a kind of disdain for it among some people, which I can well understand.

But for the moment, it's a game we have GOT to play. 

I think it's absolutely vital. Whether the politicians take heed or not, they know for every American voicing their opinion, there are 10,000 more with that same opinion. They HEAR us, whether they represent or not.

Thanks for excitment brothers. I'll keep updating this thread as I make progress and hit milestones. 

Wanted to also let everyone know, if I haven't yet, that I've been in contact with a US based ballistics body armor manufacturer for some private labeling. Mostly carriers and plates but hoping for helmets as well. Another buddy of mine is working on a logo to put on them. Its high grade stuff. I cant mention the manufacturer yet but hoping to be able to offer body armor on the site at a lower price point than what's out there as well as offer discounts to militia groups and other freedom fighters. They drop ship as well so it shouldn't impact my funding of the site much.

Once the deal is done, you should be able to message me on this site for a discount code if you're interested.

If all works out I really hope it sells as I want to hire some marketing and development help so I can keep my pace while balancing family and work. Between this, and my W2 job, and my side consulting I've been working about 65 to 75 hours a week for the last few months and its catching up with me.

Good man!   We've got such quality people on our side! 

But ... remember you've got to pace yourself.  Some people have a Puritan streak in them that makes them feel guilty when they just take a bit of time off and put their feet up or go backpacking or fishing .... but the human body is not made for day-in/day-out week-after-week foot-to-the-floorboard stress with no relief ... it's like firing several belts of ammo through a machine gun without pausing to let the barrel cool off ... you'll melt down the rifling and spoil the ballistics  (or at least this was true fifty years ago).  Short bursts.

It would be great if you could make a living through supplying the movement, because it would maybe give you time to carry on programming powerful weaponized software -- once you've got your business set up and running you MIGHT be able to hire a decent manager to do the daily routine stuff.

One suggestion:  offer 25-unit discounts on body armor, etc ... and even better 50-unit discounts ... which might motivate militias to expand, which they need to do.  And think about IFAK type kits, and more advanced medical kits for the platoon medic, and on up. 

Or think of a way to let existing militia units, for some sort of reward, be your retail salesmen.  Every militia ought to have a group of 'reservists' around it anyway, people who have the kit, maybe come to a weekend class occasionally, but whose personal circumstances don't let them take a full part at the moment -- being able to get kitted out at a discount would give such people an extra motivation to sign up for such status (if it was a requirement for purchase) and would tend to cement their loyalty to the group that outfitted them. Having a surrounding layer of supporters  and sympathyzerswho can be called on for occaisonal help, a bit of money, etc should be every militia unit's goal.

And be scrupulous about paperwork, taxes, etc because you will be watched, and who is in power and can direct the IRS will change.

Sound advice. I'll keep it in mind. I've built a few small companies before, but nothing like this. I really like the idea of a kit- I'll need to explore that idea a bit more. 

23 hours ago, UTreadUDead said:

Thanks for excitment brothers. I'll keep updating this thread as I make progress and hit milestones. 

Wanted to also let everyone know, if I haven't yet, that I've been in contact with a US based ballistics body armor manufacturer for some private labeling. Mostly carriers and plates but hoping for helmets as well. Another buddy of mine is working on a logo to put on them. Its high grade stuff. I cant mention the manufacturer yet but hoping to be able to offer body armor on the site at a lower price point than what's out there as well as offer discounts to militia groups and other freedom fighters. They drop ship as well so it shouldn't impact my funding of the site much.

Once the deal is done, you should be able to message me on this site for a discount code if you're interested.

If all works out I really hope it sells as I want to hire some marketing and development help so I can keep my pace while balancing family and work. Between this, and my W2 job, and my side consulting I've been working about 65 to 75 hours a week for the last few months and its catching up with me.

If you get the ballistic stuff up and going... we do have a few youtubers on the forum.  Perhaps a few of them could do a demo vid or something.  Just a suggestion.  Never hurts to have some folks test any equipment that could make the difference between life and death.  Especially if you're looking at the Militia as a primary market.  

On 3/8/2020 at 12:39 PM, RevRifleman said:

If you get the ballistic stuff up and going... we do have a few youtubers on the forum.  Perhaps a few of them could do a demo vid or something.  Just a suggestion.  Never hurts to have some folks test any equipment that could make the difference between life and death.  Especially if you're looking at the Militia as a primary market.  

Really like this idea. I have reached out to a few folks like Jared from guns and Gadgets and colion noir as my bill scanner seems like something they can use to help stay in front of the anti 2A movement. 

I'll keep that in mind. Glad to know we have folks here with a social media and YouTube presence.

Update

I've written the code needed to email the politicians who are sponsoring Bills and its currently being tested. Should have it out in about a week or two. I'm still sourcing politicians. After testing the api I posted before, it grabs most of them but not all of them, so I am using both my crawler and the api to make the list as complete as possible.

A question I have for anyone reading this post is... 

To identify politicians who our sympathetic to our freedoms, do you think I should:

A) look at what private sectors are sponsoring them?

B) provide all the Republican politicians I can find and let the users decide?

C) base it on user votes.

What do you think?

I'm also curious on what States you think I should point my crawler to and publish first? 

Thanks!

15 hours ago, UTreadUDead said:

Update

I've written the code needed to email the politicians who are sponsoring Bills and its currently being tested. Should have it out in about a week or two. I'm still sourcing politicians. After testing the api I posted before, it grabs most of them but not all of them, so I am using both my crawler and the api to make the list as complete as possible.

A question I have for anyone reading this post is... 

To identify politicians who our sympathetic to our freedoms, do you think I should:

A) look at what private sectors are sponsoring them?

B) provide all the Republican politicians I can find and let the users decide?

C) base it on user votes.

What do you think?

I'm also curious on what States you think I should point my crawler to and publish first? 

Thanks!

I think a list of every single possible Republican politician would be very useful.

If you can later refine your software so that it can retrieve just a subset of likely people, that wouldn't hurt. But email is free.

A question: in every state there are :  Republican Women's Clubs; Young Republicans; College Republicans; and sometimes Teen Age Republicans. Do you think it would be possible to scrape them as well?  (Names plus emails).

I know that some sites post the email right along with the name ... but others do it so that the email is not in the source page, but rather you have to click on it or hover over it.  Can the latter problem be dealt with?

This would be a hugely useful weapon in our arsenal!!!!!

3 hours ago, Doug1943 said:

I think a list of every single possible Republican politician would be very useful.

If you can later refine your software so that it can retrieve just a subset of likely people, that wouldn't hurt. But email is free.

A question: in every state there are :  Republican Women's Clubs; Young Republicans; College Republicans; and sometimes Teen Age Republicans. Do you think it would be possible to scrape them as well?  (Names plus emails).

I know that some sites post the email right along with the name ... but others do it so that the email is not in the source page, but rather you have to click on it or hover over it.  Can the latter problem be dealt with?

This would be a hugely useful weapon in our arsenal!!!!!

Short answer is YES.

Long answer about how its done is..

Just about anything on a webpage can be mined via scraping. Basically, scraping tools just read the code from the url and looks for specific tags, Ids, and css classes and then looks for values or innerhtml within those elements. Google webcrawlers, for example, look at meta tags that use "keyword" and "description" as their identifiers. So be it visible on the page or require you to click or hover, scraping tools could care less.

The hard part is trying to make it universal for every site and making it operate on its own. So I periodically have to update the script to look for additional tags for URLs that dont return any results. Meaning I need to view source and look for the tags they are using and add it my library.

I'm just trying out that Google API you recommended... it would be a LOT easier to have something off-the-shelf, than to have to sit down and learn PERL or something similar and write my own, which would probably take about a year.  (My last programming language was Pascal.) Not that I wouldn't really enjoy getting back into the wonderful new world of the internet -- when I started learning programming it was FORTRAN   on punched cards! -- but there is so much else to do right now, in building the movement.  You don't know how appreciated you are!