Lemp Family Statement 3/17/2

AIbEiAIAAABECPndq7iyz_fdqwEiC3ZjYXJkX3Bob3RvKihlYzFiY2ExM2U1YjYwNzJiOTc1ZDMzNDZhNDJkY2VlMDViZDczYzY1MAEottsoNYx8pdXACDUtCbSkIir_ug?sz=80

Rene Sandler

17 Mar 2020, 23:21 (1 hour ago)

LEMP FAMILY STATEMENT MARCH 17, 2020

The public press releases (March 12, 13, and 17, 2020) issued by the Montgomery County Police Department about the death of Duncan Lemp are inconsistent with the physical evidence and eyewitness accounts from those who survived this tragedy. Duncan Lemp was killed on March 12, 2020 during an attempt by police to execute a search warrant on his parents’ home.  Duncan and his family were asleep at 4:30 a.m. when police besieged the residence from the front of the house and were awakened by shots fired through Duncan’s bedroom window followed by the sound of flash bangs.

The March 17, 2020 statement released by Montgomery County Police on its web site www.mcpnews.com materially omits that Duncan Lemp was shot multiple times by SWAT officers and killed.  The police now say that they received an “anonymous” tip regarding the possession of firearms and waited almost three months to act upon the information.  Using a three-month old “anonymous” tip, the police sought and obtained a no-knock search warrant on March 11, 2020 at 2:38 p.m.  Montgomery County Police utilized its SWAT officers to execute the search warrant on the residence.  SWAT officers initiated gunfire and flash bangs through Duncan Lemp’s bedroom window in the front of the house.  Consistent with the no-knock warrant obtained by police, the eyewitness told investigators that police never made verbal commands upon either her or Duncan until after Duncan was shot and lay bleeding on the floor.  Multiple eyewitnesses told investigators that the police only forced entry into the home after Duncan was shot.  According to those eyewitness, the police had no contact with any family members until after Duncan was shot. 

The actual search warrant and sworn statements therein were sealed by the judge upon request of the police at the time the warrant was filed for 30 days. The Lemp family requests that the Montgomery County Police immediately release all body camera footage and audio from this horrific event.  Although the Howard County State’s Attorney’s Office will be reviewing the case at some future time, the Montgomery County Police advised the family that they themselves are investigating the case as a homicide. This case mandates the involvement of an independent law enforcement agency to investigate rather than permit the Montgomery County Police to investigate itself. 

Jonathan Fellner, Esq.

Rene Sandler, Esq.

Attorneys for the Lemp Family

Rene Sandler, Esq.

Sandler Law LLC

11 North Washington Street, Suite 210

Rockville, Maryland  20850

301-610-9797

www.sandlerlawllc.com

I am 100 percent against no knock warrants and they should be outlawed.  If they have a legitimate warrant then they can knock on the door wait for the resident to open and read it, otherwise game on.  If the cops had someone breaking into their house at 4:30 in the morning you can bet they'd be shooting whoever it is, at the very least clearing the home with a weapon in hand.  Also red flag laws are unconstitutional and not legally enforceable as far as I'm concerned.  

"the Montgomery County Police advised the family that they themselves are investigating the case as a homicide."

That is a tell, and this family very well may get a huge settlement out of it, a few supervisors or scapegoats fired, etc. but it doesn't bring him back. The big thing is this has happened more than once across the country and it never seems to change. These red flag laws are an abomination and have got to go. But even more so we need to demilitarize the police. True, there are threats out there they face on a daily basis (we just buried a local cop here today that was shot during a routine traffic stop), but there has to be a way they go back to community based policing and quit trying to emulate Seals.

Seriously, if you are a LEO and are afraid to go knock on someone's door in broad daylight to serve a warrant then you are in the wrong line of work.  Even if it's high risk. Hell the ROE our troops have to follow over the last decade has been more restrictive in Afghanistan than the escalation of force policy most police departments in the US are using.

Author of the topic Posted

Excellent points!

The problem is this: in a normal community, you can have 'community-based policing'.  The local cop is your neighbor.

I don't remember the title of the program, but some years ago there was an excellent TV drama -- it involved a local sheriff, a white guy, in a small town in ... Arkansas? ..  and he had had an affair with a local Black girl when they both were younger.  I don't recall the details, but I think it went like this: she moved away to the Big City.

She got involved with a real Bad Guy, a drug dealer.  She and he ended up fleeing some sort of horrible murder, driving across America from LA (I think) back to Arkansas (?)  ... on the way, they were pulled over for a traffic violation by a Highway Patrolman ... and she killed him before he could run a check on their license plate ... anyway, the key thing I remember is that the FBI, or some sophisticated big city policemen, two guys, came to this little town, expecting that the killers were headed that way ... and were working with the local sheriff -- (who had had an affair with this woman) ... 

I remember the scene -- it was brilliant -- when the sheriff was called out to a 'domestic' .. and the two big city guys (who condescended to their country cousin, they being all sophisticated in law enforcement technology and techniques, and him not) .... all three of them got to the site of the 'domestic' ... and this big scary-looking bearded guy comes out of the house with an axe -- of course the two policemen from LA or NY or wherever immediately draw their weapons, but the sheriff just walks up to him and says something like, "Now c'mon Bill... put that damned thing down and let's go sit down and talk about this" ... or something like that ... while the two city policemen stare at each other in amazement ...  in a few minutes the sheriff comes back and they get in the car and drive off, and one of the city policemen makes some comment about the incident and the sheriff just says, casually,  "Hell, I'm out here 3 or 4 times a week..."

That's community policing, because in that little town they actually have a community.

In South Chicago, in Baltimore, they don't. They have a jungle.  For Baltimore, by the way, see the excellent series, The Wire.  [ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wire    ]       written by a former police reporter and reportedly very realistic.

So when I hear people casually criticizing the police for heavy-handed tactics in places like South Chicago ... I have this intense urge to see the critic suddenly kitted out in a blue uniform and teleported to the jungle in question, by himself, at about 11pm on a Saturday night. 

Everyone needs to read this book: White Girl Bleed a Lot -- the Return of Racial Violence to America and How the Media Ignore It, by Colin Flaherty. [https://www.amazon.com/White-Girl-Bleed-Lot-Violence/dp/1938067061/    ]    Twenty bucks on Amazon or you can get the Audio version. The Left hate it like poison because it tells the truth.  He's written other books too. Colin Flaherty had a YouTube channel but ... guess what???

Go to his website and sign up. Let's get him onto the staff here!  http://whitegirlbleedalot.com/

It's a war.  When I was in the Army, I met a guy who was recovering from bad wounds he'd received in Vietnam. How had he got them? US Army Artillery.  It happens. It's inevitable. You try to stop it from happening ... maybe somebody got court-martialled over that. Or maybe somebody just heard 'five' from the FO when they should have heard 'niner'. 

We need to raise holy hell over this incident, but we have to remember, we're dealing with our own, not with the enemy.

Author of the topic Posted
On 3/18/2020 at 1:08 AM, Metalgear63 said:

Thanks for posting this Doug. I heard several reports on YT about this. Absolute tragedy! By this account sounds like premeditated murder on a citizen by LE to me! Has this been on the MSM yet?

Yes and no.  If he had been Black, it would have been of course. But he had 'white privilege'.  It made the MSM in Britain, ironically, where they're always keen to read about the crazy Yanks and their guns, and where even the conservatives have bought the 'anti-goverment extremist' line about the militia.

It's our job to keep this story alive any way we can. It's going to be drowned by the Wuhan virus thing, of course, but we can still do a lot to keep shaking the tree.  I'm hoping the family lawyer, who is in touch with us, will let us run a publicity campaign ... some lawyers realize  the value of public support, some just want to fight on legal technicalities ... we'll see.

There are a number of tactical questions here.  First of all, don't let this degenerate into an "all cops are bad" orgy. And still less, avoid like the plague the people who blow a lot of hot air about 'taking revenge'.  They're either infiltrators or Russian trolls, or doing their work for free. 

How far do we co operate with the 'usual suspects' on police brutality? BLM, for instance.  Some of these people will be gloating -- 'You see, we were right all along' ... but never mind that.  Allies don't have to be friends. Sometimes you can kiss her but she's not going to go to bed with you, and you're both the better off for it. 

We want to use this incident to crucify ADL and SPLC, the people who spook the police by claiming the militia movement is all crazy anti-government extremists.  Picket their HQ, circulate a cartoon of them with smiling at the body of Duncan, etc.  Use our imaginations on this.

We have to combat the anti-all-police crazies and adolescent 'boogalooers' who don't know anything about real war,  and the Russian trolls who will be using this to try to create discord. 

I'll keep everyone updated on what's happening...  but see the thing I wrote on this: TEN THESES[  

... that's what I think should  guide us.... and we need to think about a permanet memorial to Duncan, somehow .. something to honor his memory ... he was by all accounts a very talented and decent young man, and would probably have soon been on the staff here ..... let's not let his name vanish.

For whatever it's worth, I was on the  Left in my youth and have been involved in several campaigns like this before.

we need to think about a permanet memorial to Duncan, somehow .. something to honor his memory ... he was by all accounts a very talented and decent young man, and would probably have soon been on the staff here ..... let's not let his name vanish.

I agree, completely.

I need to read more, but possession of weapons? Unless he was a felon or otherwise adjudicated as being unable to possess weapons I fail to see any justification. Without knowing where this took place I suppose the weapons in question might be illegal but either way, sounds like excessive force.