Howard McInerney

Ex felon and firearm ownership.

1 hour ago, Howard McInerney said:

Is there and for a law abiding exfelon to get a gun card.

seems like everyone deserves a second chance.

It depends on the gun laws in your state of residence.  You need to look up your state's gun laws.  Even if not many states don't regulate black powder cap and ball pistols, but again you need to check with your state's gun laws. 

I was reading an article yesterday about which States allow civilian machine gun ownership. They had a list of 10 and mentioned that these States were the most lenient with certain gun laws. Maybe want to try those? I will look for the article and try to post it for you... Good Luck!

Stay safe....

KCS

Ok...found it. There is a  2A contact at the end of the article with email...

https://www.breitbart.com/2nd-amendment/2016/08/25/top-10-states-machine-gun-ownership/

Edited by KCS

21 hours ago, Howard McInerney said:

Depends on the state in which you live.  Someone mentioned black powder options.  Archery is also a viable option to consider if one is not permitted to own a firearm.  

6 hours ago, RevRifleman said:

Depends on the state in which you live.  Someone mentioned black powder options.  Archery is also a viable option to consider if one is not permitted to own a firearm.  

This. The federal law defers to state laws. I.e. in Arkansas with an expungement a felon can have their civil rights restored but cannot posses a firearm without an actual full pardon from the governor. Some states go to the extreme (once again Arkansas) in which felons (even with an expungement) cannot carry any kind of weapon, such as a knife with a blade longer than 3" or black powder firearms.

According to one test I seen, a steel framed, .44 caliber black powder pistol is equivalent to a .357. Then you have the Colt Walker and Dragoons, which can be loaded with up to 60 grains of powder.

Some other alternatives, depending upon state laws, are throwing tomahawks and knives, Chinese or American throwing stars, who knows what else.

On 3/29/2020 at 9:00 PM, Howard McInerney said:

It depends on your state but felony crimes do not automatically mean you can't own a firearm. North Carolina will allow felons to purchase muzzle loaded firearms for example and I believe crossbows are still legal for convicted felons. However it also varies greatly by state as some states specifically state that only violent offenders are excluded from firearm ownership.