Erik Himmel

What size binoculars?

First time hunter here, looking to get a decent pair of hunting binoculars. Looking mostly at Vortexs, cause they have good prices and that VIP warranty. I will be hunting strictly whitetails from a tree stand, and would be glassing them from the side of the road in my truck, maybe a half mile away at absolute most. I wondering what size you think would be ideal? There isn't a huge price gap between the like the 8x42s, and the 12x50s. I guess what Im asking is, for tree stand hunting from the woods and stuff, what size would you guys use? And do you think the 12x50s would be overkill? Thanks

I picked up a Celestion Cavalry monocular during a holiday sale, it's an 8x42 and like Tempstar stated, you really need a surface to stabilize against when using it.  I'm pretty happy with it. This is the model:
https://www.celestron.com/products/cavalry-8x42-monocular-with-compass-reticle

I picked up a Gosky 12x50 monocular for around $50 on amazon last summer and I like it a lot. Not heavy, fairly compact, and good clear definition out probably 250 yards (?).

The one downside is no strap. It has a cheesy wrist strap but I'm in the process of figuring out a different system.